Types of Sugar

  • nrb_1950
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
      Recently a friend who works as a sugar tester donated to the cause "BBFE" "better booze for everyone" about 300 kg of raw sugar "straight from the mill" full of mollases and while it took a while to ferment it did the approved thing and produced a reasonable wash.
      This I distilled and to my surprise, even through a reflux still it had the most sgreeable smell and taste of mollases excellent rum base.
      Most surprised and totally drunk on the aroma.
    • nrb_1950
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
        Recently a friend who works as a sugar tester donated to the cause "BBFE" "better booze for everyone" about 300 kg of raw sugar "straight from the mill" full of mollases and while it took a while to ferment it did the approved thing and produced a reasonable wash.
        This I distilled and to my surprise, even through a reflux still it had the most sgreeable smell and taste of mollases excellent rum base.
        Most surprised and totally drunk on the aroma.
      • gnikomson2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nrb_1950" <nrb_1950@...> wrote:

          > Recently a friend who works as a sugar tester donated to the cause "BBFE" "better booze for everyone" about 300 kg of raw sugar "straight from the mill" full of mollases and while it took a while to ferment it did the approved thing and produced a reasonable wash.
          > This I distilled and to my surprise, even through a reflux still it had the most sgreeable smell and taste of mollases excellent rum base.
          > Most surprised and totally drunk on the aroma.

          Another "raw sugar" convert! :))

          Now what ya gonna do with all that booze? If you've got reasonable equipment & skills, you should get roughly 280-300 litres of 40% spirit outta 300kg raw sugar. About a 5 year supply for 1 hobbyist. 2-3 yrs for old soaks like me. Hope you've got lots of friends & rellies. If not you soon will have. :))

        • nrb_1950
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nrb_1950" <nrb_1950@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Recently a friend who works as a sugar tester donated to the cause "BBFE" "better booze for everyone" about 300 kg of raw sugar "straight from the mill" full of mollases and while it took a while to ferment it did the approved thing and produced a reasonable wash.
            > > This I distilled and to my surprise, even through a reflux still it had the most sgreeable smell and taste of mollases excellent rum base.
            > > Most surprised and totally drunk on the aroma.
            > >

            > Another "raw sugar" convert! :))
            >
            > Now what ya gonna do with all that booze? If you've got reasonable equipment & skills, you should get roughly 280-300 litres of 40% spirit outta 300kg raw sugar. About a 5 year supply for 1 hobbyist. 2-3 yrs for old soaks like me. Hope you've got lots of friends & rellies. If not you soon will have. :))
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            What will I do with the booze. Drink some, give some away, put some away for long term ageing. I will think of something to do with it. Just not enough hours in the day to distill and work full time. Have to retire and play at the hobby.

            Noel