Very large still

  • x_c_2
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2009
      Hello I am here looking for advice. I enjoy my hobby of distilling and have done lots of research on the subject so I am not a newbie. I tend to take my hobbies to the extreme so here is my question for your great minds to ponder. I would like to build a 1000 gallon still that will have the capability to produce 95% pure (or as close as I can get) ethanol at the rate of 10 gallons per hour. I would also like the ability to produce whatever proof I choose. My question is about the still design, heating elements, power, column diameter, packing etc. I have some preliminary design ideas but I wanted to see what the experts have to say. So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
        Hi,
        Try the fuel Group

        Regards
        Joe

        Hello I am here looking for advice. I enjoy my hobby of distilling and have done lots of research on the subject so I am not a newbie. I tend to take my hobbies to the extreme so here is my question for your great minds to ponder. I would like to build a 1000 gallon still that will have the capability to produce 95% pure (or as close as I can get) ethanol at the rate of 10 gallons per hour. I would also like the ability to produce whatever proof I choose. My question is about the still design, heating elements, power, column diameter, packing etc. I have some preliminary design ideas but I wanted to see what the experts have to say. So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009

          Hi Xc,

          We just a bunch of small time drinkers of the suff here ;).

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "x_c_2" <x_c_2@...> wrote:

          > Hello I am here looking for advice. I enjoy my hobby of distilling and have done lots of research on the subject so I am not a newbie. I tend to take my hobbies to the extreme so here is my question for your great minds to ponder. I would like to build a 1000 gallon still that will have the capability to produce 95% pure (or as close as I can get) ethanol at the rate of 10 gallons per hour. I would also like the ability to produce whatever proof I choose. My question is about the still design, heating elements, power, column diameter, packing etc. I have some preliminary design ideas but I wanted to see what the experts have to say. So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
            At 20:12 06/11/2009, you wrote:

            >Hello I am here looking for advice. I enjoy my hobby of distilling
            >and have done lots of research on the subject so I am not a newbie.
            >I tend to take my hobbies to the extreme so here is my question for
            >your great minds to ponder. I would like to build a 1000 gallon
            >still that will have the capability to produce 95% pure (or as close
            >as I can get) ethanol at the rate of 10 gallons per hour. I would
            >also like the ability to produce whatever proof I choose. My
            >question is about the still design, heating elements, power, column
            >diameter, packing etc. I have some preliminary design ideas but I
            >wanted to see what the experts have to say. So, any help would be
            >appreciated. Thanks in advance

            I run a still based on a full size stainless beer keg. My friendly
            local supply store tells me that they are visited regularly by the
            police because his shop is in a neighbourhood with numerous crack
            houses. He sells the essences, copper mesh, activated carbon and
            that stuff although he is mainly a brew/wine supply place. In a
            casual conversation he asked what the local constabulary's take was
            on hobby distillers. The answer was: We have real problems to deal
            with. Basically the only way there would be a police problem is if
            you blow up your house or one of your neighbours turns you in. The
            conclusion: Enjoy your hobby but be relatively discreet.
            1000 gallons is not discreet. 1000 gallons is not taking a hobby to
            an extreme. I believe it would be interpreted as going
            commercial. However, I would love to hear your lawyer's arguments
            about how a 1000 gallons still is a hobby taken to an extreme.

            Derek
            Papoucanada on skype
          • x_c_2
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
              Hey genius, I have a license to do this. It costs me $800 a year. So, why don't you keep your snotty comments to yourself if you are not going to help.
            • Paul Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                For that scale I'd look at a continuous 40-60plate perforated plate column still.

                I'm sure someone else can suggest some further reading, but in the mean time this is a good place to start:  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings .

                Good luck.

                P.

                Hey genius, I have a license to do this. It costs me $800 a year. So, why don't you keep your snotty comments to yourself if you are not going to help.

                Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
              • Trid
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                  --- On Sat, 11/7/09, x_c_2 <x_c_2@...> wrote:

                  > Hey genius, I have a license to do
                  > this. It costs me $800 a year. So, why don't you keep your
                  > snotty comments to yourself if you are not going to help.

                  Easy up there, sport. This kind of reply isn't going to solve anything. Furthermore, as mentioned before, the scale you're working with has little to no relevance on this list of hobbyists...especially if you're licensed. You need professional help. OK, not *that* kind of professional help, but something more on a pro level.
                  Try ADI (American Distilling Insitute) and their message board: http://adiforums.com/
                  You get a lot more relevant information and far less snark.

                  Hope this helps,
                  Trid
                • joe giffen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                    Hi,
                    Your data indicates a commercial endeavour. I don't think you should be on this site, to make 10 gallons an hour is bullshit. This would be more than a lot of boutique distilleries can produce. Regarding your $800 dollars, I'll toss you for it.

                    Joe

                    > this. It costs me $800 a year. So, why don't you keep your
                    > snotty comments to yourself if you are not going to help.

                    Easy up there, sport. This kind of reply isn't going to solve anything. Furthermore, as mentioned before, the scale you're working with has little to no relevance on this list of hobbyists... especially if you're licensed. You need professional help. OK, not *that* kind of professional help, but something more on a pro level.
                    Try ADI (American Distilling Insitute) and their message board: http://adiforums. com/
                    You get a lot more relevant information and far less snark.

                    Hope this helps,
                    Trid

                  • rumrunner1616
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                      If you'd like a consultation on really high quality large stills I'd check out Christian CARL or Bavarian Holstein. The will build a turnkey distillery for you or I'd imagine work with you in building it yourself. Just a heads up they charge a pretty penny, around $250k for a still house built around a 1000L still. I can only imagine what they'd charge for a 1000 Gallons. Either way, I think they'd be the people with the technology you're looking for.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                        Hey Rum,

                        Will they also help out on the 2 to 5 thousand gallon fermenter he's
                        going to need or the warehouse to store the several tons of sugar if
                        making a wash, or several tons of grain if doing grain alcohol? Also he
                        might want to look into some really big industrial size cookers for
                        mashing or turning all that sugar into syrup.

                        On second thought, he might also want to look into a bottling plant too.

                        Vino es Veritas,

                        Jim aka Waldo.

                        Now if only someone can help me figure out how to read an
                        alcoholometer....

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rumrunner1616"

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9, 2009
                          Oh yes, all of that is doable. I'm assuming, of course, that he's working with about ten million dollars. This a very extreme hobby you know... I wonder if they'll take a check?