Re: [Distillers] Cooling Pump

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
      --- On Wed, 11/4/09, jmsmckenna@... <jmsmckenna@...> wrote:

      > well i use a 2 horsepower pump an a 500gall reserve tank the whole thing
      > recirculates an its a fantastic setup

      That's some serious overkill. I can appreciate it if it's what you happen to already have on hand, but no hobbyist needs to feel obligated to go out and purchase a monster like that.

      As mentioned before, an inexpensive pond pump with 3-5 feet of head will do the trick. Many times, the solution to actually getting flow is the physical arrangement of the components. Having the reservoir at or slightly above the condenser is the easiest way of compensating for low flow. Oversizing your tubing is a lot more cost-effective way of overcoming the resistance to flow (head loss) as well as making sure the length isn't too long or kinked along the way. When you construct your liebig, it's handy to orient the connections so they point downward so the tubing hangs from the connector and that way the weight of the water inside (particularly as the water heats up and softens the tubing) doesn't make the tubing sag and kink.

      Trid
      -little tricks picked up here and there
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009

        Personally I thought that is why the Government was giving out rebates if we purchased a 5000Litre water tank with a pump attachedJ

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert