5 gallon storage containers

  • jimmy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
      could 5 gallon fermenting containers be used for long term storage of 50%abv alcohol
    • Jeff Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009

        I brew a lot of mead and the mead community is agents long-term fermenting (1yeasr +) in that type of plastic because is leaches flavor, they tend to use wood or glass.  I’m currently experimenting with long-term storing of 50% in resalable five gallon water plastic drink cooler jugs.  They are higher quality plastic, store well in racks, affordable and easy to transport, not to mention have a lot of them would look like part of a desaster kit.  I’m about 6month from needing to test the contents so I have time to determine the method, above smell and taste.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
          At 10:25 03/11/2009, you wrote:

          >could 5 gallon fermenting containers be used for long term storage
          >of 50%abv alcohol

          Some might say yes. I say NO. We keep learning new things about all
          those safe plastic products for food storage. Remember those
          environmentally friendly Nalgene bottles?
          Glass............... please.
          You may not be paranoid; they may be out to get you.

          Derek
          Papoucanada on skype
        • Peat Reek
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
            The topic of using plastic for anything that remotely resembles elevated levels of alcohol was just discussed yesterday on the new_distillers group.

            Have a look at this message

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009

              It occurred to me that Ever Clear (95%) is sold in plastic jugs in Oregon.  It would be worth finding out what type of plastic they use, after all it heavily regulated and a higher proof.

              Jeff