Re: Baileys revisited

  • UMRYKADIN
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
      Jambo to all,

      Quite an interesting topic here, I would suggest honey blended with the condensed milk and 60% ABV alcohol in a blender. Honey and alcohol are good preservatives, however the aesthetic appeal hopefully would not be compromised when the ingredients separate after a few hours of refrigeration: Experimentation would give us better results.

      Best Regards,

      Christopher

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
      > >

      > > And by the way, no-one appears to have suggested this but it seems to make sense; suppose you have everything in the bottle EXCEPT THE CREAM, and make a bit of a production of adding the cream as you serve?
      > > Blend it in or swirl it through, pour it on top or whatever.
      > > It should work for any cream liqueur.
      > > No keeping problems.
      > > Call this one 'Geoff's Essence of Irish Cream'.
      >

      > Biggest problem there is...........if you add the cream to the alcohol, it will curdle. If you add the alcohol to the cream (slowly & stir in), it's fine.
      >
      > Reason is that a small amount of dairy (the first drops or spoonsful) in a large amount of alcohol will sour the dairy as it's added. Similar thing happens to your stomach when you've got lots of acid (hydrochloric) and you swallow milk. You throw up leathery curdled lumps.
      > Conversely, adding small amounts of alcohol (Baileys is 17% v/v total) to larger amounts of dairy as the base, avoids this 'souring' shock.
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • Geoff
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
        Thanks, Harry,
        It definitely sounds like a possibility then, so long as you add the alcohol carefully to the cream.

        Regards,

        The Baker