Re: Baileys revisited

  • Geoff
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi, folks,

      Following a comment from, I think, waljaco, quite some time ago, I plan to package cream liqueurs in those glass fruit juice bottles with a wide neck. With a nice personal label.

      One of the main reasons for a shortish life-after-opening for cream liqueurs is that the cream builds up in the narrow neck of a normal bottle, above the level of the alcohol, and it goes 'off'.
      The wide neck bottle nearly eliminates this situation and also makes it easy to wipe inside the neck, say with a cotton ball and a bit of spirit, as you put the bottle away
      (INTO THE REFRIGERATOR ?)
      after the serving session.
      Simple.

      And the smaller bottles would be ideal, 250 ml?
      You have reduced your after-opening keeping problems to one-third right there, and possibly even eliminated them.

      As for shelf life before opening, Harry suggested using that 'long-life' cream, IIRC. Might eliminate the lumps? And should improve the keeping qualities in general.

      And by the way, no-one appears to have suggested this but it seems to make sense; suppose you have everything in the bottle EXCEPT THE CREAM, and make a bit of a production of adding the cream as you serve?
      Blend it in or swirl it through, pour it on top or whatever.
      It should work for any cream liqueur.
      No keeping problems.
      Call this one 'Geoff's Essence of Irish Cream'.

      I haven't tried the cream liqueurs yet but I am looking forward to it.
      The limoncello is really nice to drink though not as delicate as the traditional one (maybe next time) and I am going to make Amaretto with apricot kernels when I have enough good spirit. Soon. I've cracked all the stones.

      Regards,

      The Baker

      P.S. If 'Coffee Mate' is that artificial 'whitener' stuff it sounds horrible! G.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi Harry,
      > Now as you know I've made your recipe of Baileys which is brilliant and HWMBO thinks it great as do I. A few years back when I first started making it I started a thread about the shelf life but never really got any satisfactory answers.
      > Nice though it was I sort of lost interest in making it because of the short shelf life. There was a lot of suggestions as to what to do but it more or less boiled down to make and consume within X amount of days because the fresh cream would only last so long before it would go congealed and lumpy.
      > I have always had the Baileys recipe in the back of my mind thinking about a possible solution but until recently it has always just stayed there lurking. Now some one a few posts back suggested using "Coffee Mate" as a cream substitute in cream liqueurs
      > And the Baileys question jumped forward at me again. My reasoning being that when "Coffee Mate" is a dry product it has a long shelf life and when rehydrated with water and mixed say to a 20 % Abv instead of the 17 % Abv for the commercial Baileys. The higher 20 % Abv would be more than capable of keep the rehydrated "Coffee Mate" from going off. Yes/no?
      > Gawd knows what it would taste like with "Coffee Mate". But your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts for that matter would be appreciated as to the do-ability of this idea before I go ahead and maybe waste 500ml of good sippin' whiskey when some one might already have tried it.
      > Geoff

    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

        > And by the way, no-one appears to have suggested this but it seems to make sense; suppose you have everything in the bottle EXCEPT THE CREAM, and make a bit of a production of adding the cream as you serve?
        > Blend it in or swirl it through, pour it on top or whatever.
        > It should work for any cream liqueur.
        > No keeping problems.
        > Call this one 'Geoff's Essence of Irish Cream'.

        Biggest problem there is...........if you add the cream to the alcohol, it will curdle. If you add the alcohol to the cream (slowly & stir in), it's fine.

        Reason is that a small amount of dairy (the first drops or spoonsful) in a large amount of alcohol will sour the dairy as it's added. Similar thing happens to your stomach when you've got lots of acid (hydrochloric) and you swallow milk. You throw up leathery curdled lumps.
        Conversely, adding small amounts of alcohol (Baileys is 17% v/v total) to larger amounts of dairy as the base, avoids this 'souring' shock.

      • UMRYKADIN
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2009
          Jambo to all,

          Quite an interesting topic here, I would suggest honey blended with the condensed milk and 60% ABV alcohol in a blender. Honey and alcohol are good preservatives, however the aesthetic appeal hopefully would not be compromised when the ingredients separate after a few hours of refrigeration: Experimentation would give us better results.

          Best Regards,

          Christopher

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
          > >

          > > And by the way, no-one appears to have suggested this but it seems to make sense; suppose you have everything in the bottle EXCEPT THE CREAM, and make a bit of a production of adding the cream as you serve?
          > > Blend it in or swirl it through, pour it on top or whatever.
          > > It should work for any cream liqueur.
          > > No keeping problems.
          > > Call this one 'Geoff's Essence of Irish Cream'.
          >

          > Biggest problem there is...........if you add the cream to the alcohol, it will curdle. If you add the alcohol to the cream (slowly & stir in), it's fine.
          >
          > Reason is that a small amount of dairy (the first drops or spoonsful) in a large amount of alcohol will sour the dairy as it's added. Similar thing happens to your stomach when you've got lots of acid (hydrochloric) and you swallow milk. You throw up leathery curdled lumps.
          > Conversely, adding small amounts of alcohol (Baileys is 17% v/v total) to larger amounts of dairy as the base, avoids this 'souring' shock.
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • Geoff
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
            Thanks, Harry,
            It definitely sounds like a possibility then, so long as you add the alcohol carefully to the cream.

            Regards,

            The Baker