Re: getting rid of the burn

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <toddweiss@> wrote:
      > > Now, both good and bad....
      > >
      > > Bad: not very smooth going down
      > > Good: really nice taste when the burn goes away
      > >
      > > I don't want to loose that flavor, but I would like to get it smoother. How much flavor will I loose if I carbon filter?
      > >
      > > Should I be doing something different with my cuts?
      > >
      > > Should I just let it age a lot longer?
      >

      > Your cuts are fine.
      >
      > Carbon will always reduce the potential flavours (& colours).
      >
      > Adding Glycerin (5-10ml per litre of 40% v/v) will smooth it & mask some of the undesirables but will make the booze sweet.
      >
      > Aeration (either open air or forced injection) will drive off the undesirables but make the booze somewhat thin & watery.
      >
      > Time on oak (true aging) will convert the undesirables into ESTERS and make nice booze. How much time? Anything from 6mo to 18 years, depending on your palate (and patience).
      >
      > In future do this...split your product, put some on oak, & redistil the rest into high-test neutral. You can make vodkas, Gins, Schnapps & other infusions with this for immediate consumption while you're waiting for your brown spirits to age & mature. If you follow this method you'll have a steady supply of both types forever.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Ciao a tutti.

      I've to add another method, suggested from an old italian chemist: to add to the grappa (or other spirits) some hydrogen peroxide to age, to "ripe" the spirit. That one give exigen to the spirit.

      Ciao a tutti

      micio felice
      P.S. great grappa I'm distilling .....: malvasia
    • Ed Barcik
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

        spirits smoothening powder? Very interesting, what is it, available on line?

      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

          I get the stuff from my local brew shop and is called Ezimix spirits finisher I see from this link http://tinyurl.com/yepjbnn it is available in Australia and is readily available here in New Zealand.

          Ken Mc

          spirits smoothening powder? Very interesting, what is it, available on line?

        • gnikomson2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

            > I get the stuff from my local brew shop and is called Ezimix spirits
            > finisher I see from this link http://tinyurl.com/yepjbnn it is available in
            > Australia and is readily available here in New Zealand.
            >

            > Ken Mc

            OT:
            Hi Ken,
            Just looked at that site and again (for the 1000th time) I saw the prices of oak chips in OZ.

            Can you or anyone else explain why 100 grams of WOOD should cost $10 ???
            I'm all for free enterprise. I'll even accept that a little profiteering is part & parcel of the business scene. But $10 for 100 grams?? That's outright buggery and theft!!

            Here's the list...

            Spirits Umlimited Wilsons Whisky Oak Shavings 100g $9.95000
            Spirits Unlimited Jim Beam Oak Chips 100g $9.95000
            Spirits Unlimited Plantation Rum Oak Chips $9.95000
            Spirits Unlimited American Barrel Oak 100g $5.80000
            Spirits Unlimited Oak Flavour $9.50000
            Spirits Unlimited Jack Daniels Soakers 100g $9.95000
            Spirits Unlimited Toasted Oak $5.80000

            (mumbles something about Ned Kelly being a gentleman by comparison)
          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

              Harry,

              Totally agree with you and do not buy them as I feel the same as you and as I live in wine country pick up some wine barrel staves (French Oak) for free every now and then when a local hardware outfit cuts barrels for planter boxes and then and toast/char or use as they are. Actually you can buy a whole used wine barrel here for $80 to $100 odd which would keep you in Oak for a life time….mmm or maybe chip them up and sell for $10 per bag…as you say Harry would be a great profit margin

              Cheers

              Ken