RE: [Distillers] getting rid of the burn

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009

      Try giving you grog a good whizzing in the blender for about 3 -4 minutes with say 10mls of glycerine per Bottle (1125ml) or here in NZ we can buy a spirits smoothening powder (1 teaspoon per 1125ml)….works for me

      Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <toddweiss@> wrote:
        > > Now, both good and bad....
        > >
        > > Bad: not very smooth going down
        > > Good: really nice taste when the burn goes away
        > >
        > > I don't want to loose that flavor, but I would like to get it smoother. How much flavor will I loose if I carbon filter?
        > >
        > > Should I be doing something different with my cuts?
        > >
        > > Should I just let it age a lot longer?
        >

        > Your cuts are fine.
        >
        > Carbon will always reduce the potential flavours (& colours).
        >
        > Adding Glycerin (5-10ml per litre of 40% v/v) will smooth it & mask some of the undesirables but will make the booze sweet.
        >
        > Aeration (either open air or forced injection) will drive off the undesirables but make the booze somewhat thin & watery.
        >
        > Time on oak (true aging) will convert the undesirables into ESTERS and make nice booze. How much time? Anything from 6mo to 18 years, depending on your palate (and patience).
        >
        > In future do this...split your product, put some on oak, & redistil the rest into high-test neutral. You can make vodkas, Gins, Schnapps & other infusions with this for immediate consumption while you're waiting for your brown spirits to age & mature. If you follow this method you'll have a steady supply of both types forever.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Ciao a tutti.

        I've to add another method, suggested from an old italian chemist: to add to the grappa (or other spirits) some hydrogen peroxide to age, to "ripe" the spirit. That one give exigen to the spirit.

        Ciao a tutti

        micio felice
        P.S. great grappa I'm distilling .....: malvasia
      • Ed Barcik
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

          spirits smoothening powder? Very interesting, what is it, available on line?

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

            I get the stuff from my local brew shop and is called Ezimix spirits finisher I see from this link http://tinyurl.com/yepjbnn it is available in Australia and is readily available here in New Zealand.

            Ken Mc

            spirits smoothening powder? Very interesting, what is it, available on line?

          • gnikomson2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

              > I get the stuff from my local brew shop and is called Ezimix spirits
              > finisher I see from this link http://tinyurl.com/yepjbnn it is available in
              > Australia and is readily available here in New Zealand.
              >

              > Ken Mc

              OT:
              Hi Ken,
              Just looked at that site and again (for the 1000th time) I saw the prices of oak chips in OZ.

              Can you or anyone else explain why 100 grams of WOOD should cost $10 ???
              I'm all for free enterprise. I'll even accept that a little profiteering is part & parcel of the business scene. But $10 for 100 grams?? That's outright buggery and theft!!

              Here's the list...

              Spirits Umlimited Wilsons Whisky Oak Shavings 100g $9.95000
              Spirits Unlimited Jim Beam Oak Chips 100g $9.95000
              Spirits Unlimited Plantation Rum Oak Chips $9.95000
              Spirits Unlimited American Barrel Oak 100g $5.80000
              Spirits Unlimited Oak Flavour $9.50000
              Spirits Unlimited Jack Daniels Soakers 100g $9.95000
              Spirits Unlimited Toasted Oak $5.80000

              (mumbles something about Ned Kelly being a gentleman by comparison)
            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

                Harry,

                Totally agree with you and do not buy them as I feel the same as you and as I live in wine country pick up some wine barrel staves (French Oak) for free every now and then when a local hardware outfit cuts barrels for planter boxes and then and toast/char or use as they are. Actually you can buy a whole used wine barrel here for $80 to $100 odd which would keep you in Oak for a life time….mmm or maybe chip them up and sell for $10 per bag…as you say Harry would be a great profit margin

                Cheers

                Ken