getting rid of the burn

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi all,
      I made some rum (1 gal molasses:4 gal water) in my potstill (~28L). Fermented (2)five gallon carboys and stripped them. Took 2 gallons of low wines, 1 gal dunder, 1/2 gal feints, and 1.5 gal water, and did the spirit run. My cuts were done every 150-200 mls or so, checking the abv. Discarded the first 100ml, took heads to ~80%abv, kept 80-65% as hearts (got a bit more than 1 gal), and took tails down to 35%abv.

      I added back about 200 ml (roughly) of 35-40%abv tails (to try for some of the rum oils Arroyo talks about), brought it to 60%abv and put it on some oak (in 3 gal carboy). So in a nutshell, I've got about 1 gallon of 60% sitting on oak for about 1 month (along with the daily shake up or two). I do an occasional tester, adding a bit of water, or some ice...

      Now, both good and bad....

      Bad: not very smooth going down
      Good: really nice taste when the burn goes away

      I don't want to loose that flavor, but I would like to get it smoother. How much flavor will I loose if I carbon filter?

      Should I be doing something different with my cuts?

      Should I just let it age a lot longer?

      This IS only my second rum venture. My first by temp rather than abv. It tasted ok, but rough, and I got a lot less. Put it on oak to age, put paper towels over the mason jars and forgot about them, literally. For quite some time. When I remembered them, they were about 15% abv. Oops, maybe I can use them for oak flavoring for my new batch? Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      T-
    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <toddweiss@...> wrote:
        > Now, both good and bad....
        >
        > Bad: not very smooth going down
        > Good: really nice taste when the burn goes away
        >
        > I don't want to loose that flavor, but I would like to get it smoother. How much flavor will I loose if I carbon filter?
        >
        > Should I be doing something different with my cuts?
        >
        > Should I just let it age a lot longer?

        Your cuts are fine.

        Carbon will always reduce the potential flavours (& colours).

        Adding Glycerin (5-10ml per litre of 40% v/v) will smooth it & mask some of the undesirables but will make the booze sweet.

        Aeration (either open air or forced injection) will drive off the undesirables but make the booze somewhat thin & watery.

        Time on oak (true aging) will convert the undesirables into ESTERS and make nice booze. How much time? Anything from 6mo to 18 years, depending on your palate (and patience).

        In future do this...split your product, put some on oak, & redistil the rest into high-test neutral. You can make vodkas, Gins, Schnapps & other infusions with this for immediate consumption while you're waiting for your brown spirits to age & mature. If you follow this method you'll have a steady supply of both types forever.

      • KM Services
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009

          Try giving you grog a good whizzing in the blender for about 3 -4 minutes with say 10mls of glycerine per Bottle (1125ml) or here in NZ we can buy a spirits smoothening powder (1 teaspoon per 1125ml)….works for me

          Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <toddweiss@> wrote:
            > > Now, both good and bad....
            > >
            > > Bad: not very smooth going down
            > > Good: really nice taste when the burn goes away
            > >
            > > I don't want to loose that flavor, but I would like to get it smoother. How much flavor will I loose if I carbon filter?
            > >
            > > Should I be doing something different with my cuts?
            > >
            > > Should I just let it age a lot longer?
            >

            > Your cuts are fine.
            >
            > Carbon will always reduce the potential flavours (& colours).
            >
            > Adding Glycerin (5-10ml per litre of 40% v/v) will smooth it & mask some of the undesirables but will make the booze sweet.
            >
            > Aeration (either open air or forced injection) will drive off the undesirables but make the booze somewhat thin & watery.
            >
            > Time on oak (true aging) will convert the undesirables into ESTERS and make nice booze. How much time? Anything from 6mo to 18 years, depending on your palate (and patience).
            >
            > In future do this...split your product, put some on oak, & redistil the rest into high-test neutral. You can make vodkas, Gins, Schnapps & other infusions with this for immediate consumption while you're waiting for your brown spirits to age & mature. If you follow this method you'll have a steady supply of both types forever.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Ciao a tutti.

            I've to add another method, suggested from an old italian chemist: to add to the grappa (or other spirits) some hydrogen peroxide to age, to "ripe" the spirit. That one give exigen to the spirit.

            Ciao a tutti

            micio felice
            P.S. great grappa I'm distilling .....: malvasia
          • Ed Barcik
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

              spirits smoothening powder? Very interesting, what is it, available on line?

            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

                I get the stuff from my local brew shop and is called Ezimix spirits finisher I see from this link http://tinyurl.com/yepjbnn it is available in Australia and is readily available here in New Zealand.

                Ken Mc

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

                  > I get the stuff from my local brew shop and is called Ezimix spirits
                  > finisher I see from this link http://tinyurl.com/yepjbnn it is available in
                  > Australia and is readily available here in New Zealand.
                  >

                  > Ken Mc

                  OT:
                  Hi Ken,
                  Just looked at that site and again (for the 1000th time) I saw the prices of oak chips in OZ.

                  Can you or anyone else explain why 100 grams of WOOD should cost $10 ???
                  I'm all for free enterprise. I'll even accept that a little profiteering is part & parcel of the business scene. But $10 for 100 grams?? That's outright buggery and theft!!

                  Here's the list...

                  Spirits Umlimited Wilsons Whisky Oak Shavings 100g $9.95000
                  Spirits Unlimited Jim Beam Oak Chips 100g $9.95000
                  Spirits Unlimited Plantation Rum Oak Chips $9.95000
                  Spirits Unlimited American Barrel Oak 100g $5.80000
                  Spirits Unlimited Oak Flavour $9.50000
                  Spirits Unlimited Jack Daniels Soakers 100g $9.95000
                  Spirits Unlimited Toasted Oak $5.80000

                  (mumbles something about Ned Kelly being a gentleman by comparison)
                • KM Services
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

                    Harry,

                    Totally agree with you and do not buy them as I feel the same as you and as I live in wine country pick up some wine barrel staves (French Oak) for free every now and then when a local hardware outfit cuts barrels for planter boxes and then and toast/char or use as they are. Actually you can buy a whole used wine barrel here for $80 to $100 odd which would keep you in Oak for a life time….mmm or maybe chip them up and sell for $10 per bag…as you say Harry would be a great profit margin

                    Cheers

                    Ken