VM take off quantities

  • peter442737
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi there just read the topic regarding VM take off sizes. Just ran a 25 litre low wine batch of MUM last night on my VM still 2" x 1500 packed column with copper mesh and crossflow condenser. Take off 22mm going to a 15mm within a 22mm liebig. According to figures in Smiley's book my 25 litres of 52% low wines would yield somewhere in the region of 13684 @ 95%. Based on percentages in the book that would yield approx. 240 mls foreshots, 660 mls heads, 11350 mls mid and 1434 mls tails and whatever is left in the packing/boiler.
      My actual run yielded 240 mls foreshots, 725 mls heads, 8500 ltrs mid @ 95%, 1850 ltrs tails stopping at 92 c. Total of 11265 mls. That means there is still 2419 mls remaining somewhere. Is this normal. Would one of you more experienced distillers please check my figures and advise me if this is good/bad or whatever. I would be grateful
      Cheers thepatchworkdoll
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
        Measure the ABV of your boiler content. If it's close to zero you have a leak somewhere.

        Slainte, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

        > Hi there just read the topic regarding VM take off sizes. Just ran a 25 litre low wine batch of MUM last night on my VM still 2" x 1500 packed column with copper mesh and crossflow condenser. Take off 22mm going to a 15mm within a 22mm liebig. According to figures in Smiley's book my 25 litres of 52% low wines would yield somewhere in the region of 13684 @ 95%. Based on percentages in the book that would yield approx. 240 mls foreshots, 660 mls heads, 11350 mls mid and 1434 mls tails and whatever is left in the packing/boiler.
        > My actual run yielded 240 mls foreshots, 725 mls heads, 8500 ltrs mid @ 95%, 1850 ltrs tails stopping at 92 c. Total of 11265 mls. That means there is still 2419 mls remaining somewhere. Is this normal. Would one of you more experienced distillers please check my figures and advise me if this is good/bad or whatever. I would be grateful
        > Cheers thepatchworkdoll

      • peter442737
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hi Riku Thanks for that. You reckon I lost 2419 mls to atmosphere. I am almost certain that there are no leaks but I will measure ABV of whats left in the boiler (have'nt had time to clean up system yet) and let you know. Regards
          Thepatchworkdoll

          > Measure the ABV of your boiler content. If it's close to zero you have a leak somewhere.
          >
          > Slainte, Riku
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi there just read the topic regarding VM take off sizes. Just ran a 25 litre low wine batch of MUM last night on my VM still 2" x 1500 packed column with copper mesh and crossflow condenser. Take off 22mm going to a 15mm within a 22mm liebig. According to figures in Smiley's book my 25 litres of 52% low wines would yield somewhere in the region of 13684 @ 95%. Based on percentages in the book that would yield approx. 240 mls foreshots, 660 mls heads, 11350 mls mid and 1434 mls tails and whatever is left in the packing/boiler.
          > > My actual run yielded 240 mls foreshots, 725 mls heads, 8500 ltrs mid @ 95%, 1850 ltrs tails stopping at 92 c. Total of 11265 mls. That means there is still 2419 mls remaining somewhere. Is this normal. Would one of you more experienced distillers please check my figures and advise me if this is good/bad or whatever. I would be grateful
          > > Cheers thepatchworkdoll

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
            If there's alcohol in the boiler you just need to revise your operating procedure towards the end of the run.

            Slainte, Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

            > Hi Riku Thanks for that. You reckon I lost 2419 mls to atmosphere. I am almost certain that there are no leaks but I will measure ABV of whats left in the boiler (have'nt had time to clean up system yet) and let you know. Regards
            > Thepatchworkdoll
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Measure the ABV of your boiler content. If it's close to zero you have a leak somewhere.
            > >
            > > Slainte, Riku
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi there just read the topic regarding VM take off sizes. Just ran a 25 litre low wine batch of MUM last night on my VM still 2" x 1500 packed column with copper mesh and crossflow condenser. Take off 22mm going to a 15mm within a 22mm liebig. According to figures in Smiley's book my 25 litres of 52% low wines would yield somewhere in the region of 13684 @ 95%. Based on percentages in the book that would yield approx. 240 mls foreshots, 660 mls heads, 11350 mls mid and 1434 mls tails and whatever is left in the packing/boiler.
            > > > My actual run yielded 240 mls foreshots, 725 mls heads, 8500 ltrs mid @ 95%, 1850 ltrs tails stopping at 92 c. Total of 11265 mls. That means there is still 2419 mls remaining somewhere. Is this normal. Would one of you more experienced distillers please check my figures and advise me if this is good/bad or whatever. I would be grateful
            > > > Cheers thepatchworkdoll

          • peter442737
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
              Hi Riku Measured the ABV of the wash left in the boiler approx. 8% don't know if that alters the situation by much. Again as I already said I am almost 100% sure that there is no leaks. Other than that are my figures/percentages in the ball park. Delighted with the product at 95% taken off at 17mls a minute (1020 per hour). Any further comments will be very much appreciated. Regards
              thepatchworkdoll

              > If there's alcohol in the boiler you just need to revise your operating procedure towards the end of the run.
              >
              > Slainte, Riku
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Riku Thanks for that. You reckon I lost 2419 mls to atmosphere. I am almost certain that there are no leaks but I will measure ABV of whats left in the boiler (have'nt had time to clean up system yet) and let you know. Regards
              > > Thepatchworkdoll
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Measure the ABV of your boiler content. If it's close to zero you have a leak somewhere.
              > > >
              > > > Slainte, Riku

            • harisaki2004
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
                Hi there Thepatchworkdoll,
                until you do a alcohol balance you will never know.
                First it is best to work in LAL, ie litres of alcohol.
                So, to start with you need to know the mass of low wines and the density to calculate the volume (unless you have a large measuring cylinder and the temperature to calculate the total amount of alcohol.
                You will need conversion tables too.
                Then you need the percentage alc of each part of your run. I use mass and percentage ABV (measured by hydometer) & temp. to calculate the amount of alcohol. Add them up and compare with the starting LALs.

                I used to loose up to 10% by volume alcohol past the reflux condenser until I made a Harry's crossflow models.
                Hope that helps. Any questions?

                regards
                Hair.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

                > Hi Riku Thanks for that. You reckon I lost 2419 mls to atmosphere. I am almost certain that there are no leaks but I will measure ABV of whats left in the boiler (have'nt had time to clean up system yet) and let you know. Regards
                > Thepatchworkdoll
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Measure the ABV of your boiler content. If it's close to zero you have a leak somewhere.
                > >
                > > Slainte, Riku
                > >
                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi there just read the topic regarding VM take off sizes. Just ran a 25 litre low wine batch of MUM last night on my VM still 2" x 1500 packed column with copper mesh and crossflow condenser. Take off 22mm going to a 15mm within a 22mm liebig. According to figures in Smiley's book my 25 litres of 52% low wines would yield somewhere in the region of 13684 @ 95%. Based on percentages in the book that would yield approx. 240 mls foreshots, 660 mls heads, 11350 mls mid and 1434 mls tails and whatever is left in the packing/boiler.
                > > > My actual run yielded 240 mls foreshots, 725 mls heads, 8500 ltrs mid @ 95%, 1850 ltrs tails stopping at 92 c. Total of 11265 mls. That means there is still 2419 mls remaining somewhere. Is this normal. Would one of you more experienced distillers please check my figures and advise me if this is good/bad or whatever. I would be grateful
                > > > Cheers thepatchworkdoll

              • peter442737
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
                  Hi Hair. thanks for that. I run with a crossflow condenser and measure my starting volume/alcohol ABV and then work out my percentages as per Smiley's book. Foreshots, heads are ususlly about right. Always seem to be a bit down on hearts. Tails I run until 92c and then shut down. I appreciate that there must be some left in the packing and possibly some in the boiler. Just wandered if this is the case with everyone else. Any further comments much appreciated. Regards
                  thepatchworkdoll