Re: [Distillers] electric hot plates

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2009
      At 10:09 28/10/2009, you wrote:

      >Any suggested hot plate models? commercial units are pricey. Is
      >there a home unit with the wattage and build to hold up to our
      >needs? I am trying to get away from propane and regulating a water
      >heater element might be beyond me.

      I suspect that regulating a water heater element is not beyond
      you. All it takes is something like a variac voltage control.
      I bought one on ebay for $20. It was 10 amp. It did used to blow
      fuses on occasion. Then I found, yes found a 25 amp model at the
      local dump. That thing does not even get warm when regulating a 1500
      watt element.
      I use two elements one 4500 watt for heat up and the 1500 (120 volt)
      for control.
      Some people use a large 220 watt element and wire it so it can also
      take 110 volts.
      That way a 4500 watt element delivers that at 220 volts and when
      putting 120 volts through it, it cuts the wattage to 1125 or so.
      I realize in writing this that it does not apply in the land of 220
      volts being the norm.

      Derek
      Papoucanada on skype