Re: [Distillers] Re: where to buy grains

  • Ned Block
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 26, 2009
      On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM, martin martins <mm123@...> wrote:

      I'm a bit puzzled here.

      Apart from the barley don't you have to do things to it like malt it dry it and mill it?

        Malting your own barley at home is easy enough, but the drying process can take a bit of time. When I can, I malt it and mash it "green" instead of drying it. Some said it would cause a grassy flavor, but I haven't seen the flavor come through the vaporiser <lol> Beer, I suppose would be another story.

        A friend taught me to malt grains in a  pail, with a dozen or so 1/8" holes punched into the bottom. Punch the holes, don't drill. This leaves a burr to stop the smaller grains from going right through. Fill the pail 1/3 with grain, and top it up with luke warm water while stirring, then cover to keep out light(very important)and let it sit to drain. I do this in a large laundry tub. Repeat in 4-6 hours, then twice per day until done, which can be from 3-5 days, depending on how aggressive the grains are. Do some Google searching for how to tell when to stop the sprouting.

        There are other ways, but damned if I can think of anything simpler! I get 90% sprouting, easily. When using it green, I run the wet malt through a food processor, and for drying, I have a screen box and a couple fans to do it; stir often. Don't toast the malt of you're using it top convert mashes; let it dry at low temps.

       I get my barley from feed store; the first crop is best, but even the second one is fine. Again, beer makers would frown, but it doesn't seem to matter here.

      Ned