Re: where to buy grains

  • larry_the_doc
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 15, 2009
      I thought it might be worthwhile to mention that barley has two harvests a year, one is sold as "malting" barley and the other is sold for animal feed, due to its increased protein level.
      What I would like to know from one of our senior members is whilst this is very important to beer makers like myself, How important is it to distillers? I do know that here in the UK they only use malting barley.
    • Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 15, 2009
        Yeah, that extra protein has me a tad worried as I'm about to start a serious malting run and the only barley I can get is the general purpose kind (I assume it to be either 6 row or the spring planting kind) so I guess it's a wait and see kind of thing.

        The upside is the for the 25kgs I'm using in this experiment I only had to shell out AU$17, so if it all goes pear shaped it's not a huge loss money wise, and then the chooks will get some extra feed. <grin>

        I'm still trying to find a "local" source for winter planting 2 row barley, if I find one I'll let the other Aussies know where and how much....

        P.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 15, 2009
          I'm a bit puzzled here.

          Apart from the barley don't you have to do things to it like malt it dry it and mill it?

          Or are you talking about malted, milled barley

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 16, 2009
            Yes, That's exactly what I'll be doing, malting, drying, and milling (although this last bit will be done when needed).

            Mostly this malt will be used to bulk out my Dad's "all grain" homebrews, so he doesn't have to spend $5.50/kg for his base malt, but might be able to halve that part of his purchased grain bill. And what he doesn't use will get put through *my* "home brew" setup. <grin>

            P.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 16, 2009
              Wow! Some people take this homebrew seriously :)

              Will you let us know how you get on with the process? Isn't there a danger that you'll be breeding horrible things that produce mycotoxins?

              Seriously I'd be interested to know how it turns out. Reminds me of Robot Wars, here in the UK they go to a home workshop and there's a wooden bench with a couple of junior hacksaws and they're hamming to shape metal. Go to the US and they have a computer controlled laser cutting bench in the garage for titanium amour :) Sometimes a hobby takes over

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2009
                Yep! (Don't get me started on hobbies, I wanted a lathe for a hobby so I started another hobby to furnish it, buy building it (the lathe) from scratch.)

                Besides all things considered doing it from grain isn't that different to doing it from concentrate. OK yes it's quite a bit different, but the taste sure is worth the effort!

                Not all that big a risk, so long as you do things in the right way and in the right order....

                Yep, why do it the easy way when the hard way is so much fun?

                P.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 26, 2009
                  On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM, martin martins <mm123@...> wrote:

                  I'm a bit puzzled here.

                  Apart from the barley don't you have to do things to it like malt it dry it and mill it?

                    Malting your own barley at home is easy enough, but the drying process can take a bit of time. When I can, I malt it and mash it "green" instead of drying it. Some said it would cause a grassy flavor, but I haven't seen the flavor come through the vaporiser <lol> Beer, I suppose would be another story.

                    A friend taught me to malt grains in a  pail, with a dozen or so 1/8" holes punched into the bottom. Punch the holes, don't drill. This leaves a burr to stop the smaller grains from going right through. Fill the pail 1/3 with grain, and top it up with luke warm water while stirring, then cover to keep out light(very important)and let it sit to drain. I do this in a large laundry tub. Repeat in 4-6 hours, then twice per day until done, which can be from 3-5 days, depending on how aggressive the grains are. Do some Google searching for how to tell when to stop the sprouting.

                    There are other ways, but damned if I can think of anything simpler! I get 90% sprouting, easily. When using it green, I run the wet malt through a food processor, and for drying, I have a screen box and a couple fans to do it; stir often. Don't toast the malt of you're using it top convert mashes; let it dry at low temps.

                   I get my barley from feed store; the first crop is best, but even the second one is fine. Again, beer makers would frown, but it doesn't seem to matter here.

                  Ned