Destilling color of the ethenol

  • harold.diedericksjr
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
      Hi there i am harold in SA and i have build myself a 80 liter reflux still and when i destill my wash it comes out clear for about 2 750ml bottles and then becomes milkey, and the clear stuff is 92% abv, but as soon as i dilute it it gets a milky color what can be the problem. is it the temp becouse the temp on my digital probe stays between 78,5 and 79 degrees celcius. and my colum hight is 1120mm and i have 6 copper scrubbers in it with the boiler has a 3kw element in it. please give me some advice.

      regards Harold
    • Rufus
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
        harold, I'm impressed with the height of your distillation column. The milky colors that develop once diluted with water are likely due to the congeners that were carried over with your ethanol product. Congeners can often precipitate and form a cloudy or "milkey" appearance as they are not soluble in water when their solution concentration is high. You may want to increase your reflux ratio to see if you can get a better purity (fewer congeners).

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harold.diedericksjr" <harold.diedericksjr@...> wrote:

        > Hi there i am harold in SA and i have build myself a 80 liter reflux still and when i destill my wash it comes out clear for about 2 750ml bottles and then becomes milkey, and the clear stuff is 92% abv, but as soon as i dilute it it gets a milky color what can be the problem. is it the temp becouse the temp on my digital probe stays between 78,5 and 79 degrees celcius. and my colum hight is 1120mm and i have 6 copper scrubbers in it with the boiler has a 3kw element in it. please give me some advice.
        >
        > regards Harold

      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
          Hi Harold,
          Not to get too technical but the higher "boil off" alcohols tend to give you distillate that's milky colour like a thin film of grease from what I've read. So from what you say I think maybe your 3 KW element is taking your boiler temperature up a little more on the high side so hence the higher boiling alcohols coming off and making your distillate go cloudy or milky. My first port of call would be a new thermometer and some kind of governor/triac on the electric element. (I have an 850watt @240volts) that goes flat out for the whole run and with careful output control I consistently get 95 % Abv every time)
          Next thing I would do is pack as much of the rest of that 1120mm column with stainless steel scrubbers on top of your copper scrubbers to get the maximum reflux of 95 % Abv from your set up.
          Maybe I'm wrong but I'm only advising from memory not hard research on the forum but someone will correct me for sure if I'm wrong
          Geoff

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harold.diedericksjr" <harold.diedericksjr@...> wrote:

          > Hi there i am harold in SA and i have build myself a 80 liter reflux still and when i destill my wash it comes out clear for about 2 750ml bottles and then becomes milkey, and the clear stuff is 92% abv, but as soon as i dilute it it gets a milky color what can be the problem. is it the temp becouse the temp on my digital probe stays between 78,5 and 79 degrees celcius. and my colum hight is 1120mm and i have 6 copper scrubbers in it with the boiler has a 3kw element in it. please give me some advice.
          >
          > regards Harold

        • wineifera
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
            Can't agree more! I run my 1.5 m still at 800W and get 95.6% clean alcohol. I use amphora net from www.amphora-society.com, works like a charm. To control one of my my 2x2000W heaters I use a phase-angle control unit: https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/catalogstart.do?tab=catalog

            Vini

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

            > Hi Harold,
            > Not to get too technical but the higher "boil off" alcohols tend to give you distillate that's milky colour like a thin film of grease from what I've read. So from what you say I think maybe your 3 KW element is taking your boiler temperature up a little more on the high side so hence the higher boiling alcohols coming off and making your distillate go cloudy or milky. My first port of call would be a new thermometer and some kind of governor/triac on the electric element. (I have an 850watt @240volts) that goes flat out for the whole run and with careful output control I consistently get 95 % Abv every time)
            > Next thing I would do is pack as much of the rest of that 1120mm column with stainless steel scrubbers on top of your copper scrubbers to get the maximum reflux of 95 % Abv from your set up.
            > Maybe I'm wrong but I'm only advising from memory not hard research on the forum but someone will correct me for sure if I'm wrong
            > Geoff
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harold.diedericksjr" <harold.diedericksjr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there i am harold in SA and i have build myself a 80 liter reflux still and when i destill my wash it comes out clear for about 2 750ml bottles and then becomes milkey, and the clear stuff is 92% abv, but as soon as i dilute it it gets a milky color what can be the problem. is it the temp becouse the temp on my digital probe stays between 78,5 and 79 degrees celcius. and my colum hight is 1120mm and i have 6 copper scrubbers in it with the boiler has a 3kw element in it. please give me some advice.
            > >
            > > regards Harold

          • wineifera
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
              Just forgot to add that the boiler temp of course is the same whatever wattage you use. It's the vapor speed that gets too high.

              /Vini

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wineifera" <wineifera@...> wrote:

              > Can't agree more! I run my 1.5 m still at 800W and get 95.6% clean alcohol. I use amphora net from www.amphora-society.com, works like a charm. To control one of my my 2x2000W heaters I use a phase-angle control unit: https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/catalogstart.do?tab=catalog
              >
              > Vini
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi Harold,
              > > Not to get too technical but the higher "boil off" alcohols tend to give you distillate that's milky colour like a thin film of grease from what I've read. So from what you say I think maybe your 3 KW element is taking your boiler temperature up a little more on the high side so hence the higher boiling alcohols coming off and making your distillate go cloudy or milky. My first port of call would be a new thermometer and some kind of governor/triac on the electric element. (I have an 850watt @240volts) that goes flat out for the whole run and with careful output control I consistently get 95 % Abv every time)
              > > Next thing I would do is pack as much of the rest of that 1120mm column with stainless steel scrubbers on top of your copper scrubbers to get the maximum reflux of 95 % Abv from your set up.
              > > Maybe I'm wrong but I'm only advising from memory not hard research on the forum but someone will correct me for sure if I'm wrong
              > > Geoff
              > >

              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harold.diedericksjr" <harold.diedericksjr@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi there i am harold in SA and i have build myself a 80 liter reflux still and when i destill my wash it comes out clear for about 2 750ml bottles and then becomes milkey, and the clear stuff is 92% abv, but as soon as i dilute it it gets a milky color what can be the problem. is it the temp becouse the temp on my digital probe stays between 78,5 and 79 degrees celcius. and my colum hight is 1120mm and i have 6 copper scrubbers in it with the boiler has a 3kw element in it. please give me some advice.
              > > >
              > > > regards Harold

            • Rufus
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
                Harold, it seems you're getting some quite a bit of input with your question. If your 80 boiler capacity is correct, then I would not suggest a lower a
                wattage heating element. From what you've told us you've a column of about one meter on a large boiler - 80 liters. So your two best options seem to be more packing or more reflux. Can you send a photo?
                iPhone typed
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wineifera" <wineifera@...> wrote:

                > Just forgot to add that the boiler temp of course is the same whatever wattage you use. It's the vapor speed that gets too high.
                >
                > /Vini
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wineifera" <wineifera@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Can't agree more! I run my 1.5 m still at 800W and get 95.6% clean alcohol. I use amphora net from www.amphora-society.com, works like a charm. To control one of my my 2x2000W heaters I use a phase-angle control unit: https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/catalogstart.do?tab=catalog
                > >
                > > Vini
                > >
                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Hi Harold,
                > > > Not to get too technical but the higher "boil off" alcohols tend to give you distillate that's milky colour like a thin film of grease from what I've read. So from what you say I think maybe your 3 KW element is taking your boiler temperature up a little more on the high side so hence the higher boiling alcohols coming off and making your distillate go cloudy or milky. My first port of call would be a new thermometer and some kind of governor/triac on the electric element. (I have an 850watt @240volts) that goes flat out for the whole run and with careful output control I consistently get 95 % Abv every time)
                > > > Next thing I would do is pack as much of the rest of that 1120mm column with stainless steel scrubbers on top of your copper scrubbers to get the maximum reflux of 95 % Abv from your set up.
                > > > Maybe I'm wrong but I'm only advising from memory not hard research on the forum but someone will correct me for sure if I'm wrong
                > > > Geoff

              • harold.diedericksjr
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
                  Hello there guy's

                  thank you for the good input, I have just another qeustion

                  Is the milky stuff dangerious to drink and does it mean that it contains methenol and how must i controle my temp of the still and is there diagrams that i can build the controle curciut

                  regards

                  Harold
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rufus" <rufusroughguts@...> wrote:

                  > Harold, it seems you're getting some quite a bit of input with your question. If your 80 boiler capacity is correct, then I would not suggest a lower a
                  > wattage heating element. From what you've told us you've a column of about one meter on a large boiler - 80 liters. So your two best options seem to be more packing or more reflux. Can you send a photo?
                  > iPhone typed
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wineifera" <wineifera@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just forgot to add that the boiler temp of course is the same whatever wattage you use. It's the vapor speed that gets too high.
                  > >
                  > > /Vini
                  > >
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wineifera" <wineifera@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Can't agree more! I run my 1.5 m still at 800W and get 95.6% clean alcohol. I use amphora net from www.amphora-society.com, works like a charm. To control one of my my 2x2000W heaters I use a phase-angle control unit: https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/catalogstart.do?tab=catalog
                  > > >
                  > > > Vini

                • harold.diedericksjr
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 13, 2009
                    ps the photos of my still was just uploaded into photos under Harold's still for viewing and advice