Re: Limoncello

  • gnikomson2000
    Message 1 of 55 , Oct 10, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > I have 3 litres of Limoncello as per Micio's recipe with water and sugar added in a 3 litre wire hinge and wire lever to shut type glass Mason jar doing its thing to just before Christmas when it'll get bottled into the green wine type bottles just to help it keep it's beautiful yellow colour, because bright sunlight will bleach it clear which for me is a big no no.
      > Now I have it sitting as per Micio's recommended strength for drinking at 35 % Abv. When I have them bottled I want to put them in the chest freezer to drink real cold at Christmas?
      > I suppose my question really is what is the freezing point of 3 litres of bottled 35 % Abv Limoncello or any 35 % Abv brew for that matter?
      > Geoff

      Geoff,

      Pure alcohol (100%) freezes at -114°C. Water freezes at 0°C. Mixtures freeze at points in between the two. So your 35% booze will freeze at...

      35% x -114 = - 39.9°C

      Your home freezer doesn't go below -18°C so to find the strongest mix you can freeze:

      ??% x -114 = -18°C
      ??% = -18 / -1.14

      Therefore ??% = -19.14
      You won't freeze any mix stronger than 19% a/v

      This is why wines & beers freeze, but spirits & liqueurs don't.

      HTH

      Message 55 of 55 , Jan 24, 2014
        Actually honey sweetness is equivalent to sucrose.
        Flower nectar is usually mostly diluted sucrose which is converted by bees to mainly glucose and fructose and then concentrated by fanning to about 80% sugar content.

        http://food.oregonstate.edu/learn/faq/faq_sugar53.html

        wal