Re: yeast ranching question

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2009
      Well Good,

      When doing sour mashing for corn whiskey, I usually use corn meal - not
      cracked corn, but its the same principle. After the fermentation clears
      and the yeast settles (I use EC-1118 which flocculates very well to the
      bottom), you can strain off (sparge) the liquid off from this barm/trub
      at the bottom and re-use that.

      Personally, I usually just take 1/2 out after each fermentation and use
      the rest to restart the fermentation. I also take some of this and boil
      it up for the nutrients and yeast hulls in it.

      People have suggested you only do this 10 to 12 times before changing to
      new yeast and barm, but have done it over 20 times with no difference in
      flavors.

      Making rum and using the backset (dunder) and barm, is also the same
      concept. Again, i will take out about 1/2 of it and use the rest to
      restart the fermentation.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "*" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

      > (I have done it over 20 times with no problems or changing the yeast
      "caricature").
      > Jim,
      > could you elaborate please. do you ferment on the grain? do you
      ferment full term or stop short. if you stop early how do you stop
      fermentation and let yeast settle out? and if you ferment on the grain
      do you sparge to harvest yeast.