Fw: NO REPLIES RECEIVED - Follow On!

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30 3:11 AM

      Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:22 PM
      Subject: Re: NO REPLIES RECEIVED - Follow On!

      Thank you all for your kindly replies, though I unfortunately missed the the principle one on automatic formulla calculation. The CAPITALs were an unintentional mistake through leaving on the caps-lock - and I did apollogise, but I didn't want to re-type 4 lines.

      So the answer boiled down to looking in Tony Ackland's very helpful  treatise in "Home Distiller", under Distillation and then Dilution. I'd often seen it but had forgotten where.

      One of my questions is still un-answered. I distilled 7 x 500cc bottles, having ABV's of 68,65,65.55,50,48,45%.

      As I want a final ABV of 45%, should I simply mix them all together and dilute down? I have little doubt that the purists wouldn't agree with this and suggest adding water and re-distilling. The problem is that there is only 3.5 litres and I have a 10 gallon boiler (ex beer can) with the element 3.5" down.

      I have never seen anyone suggest a mini-still - say about a gallon capacity - but this seems a pretty obvious answer to small volumes.

      Comments please.

      Tony

    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30 8:48 AM
        Tony,

        If you have tasted all 7 of those fractions, and decided that they are all good enough to include in your final product, there's no reason that you can't mix them all together, measure that total ABV, and dilute to the ABV you want.

        On the other hand, those last couple of fractions just may  taste a bit of tails, something you won't want in your final spirit. Trust your palate on which fractions to include.

        As a help in tasting, I use 3mL syringes to take a tiny sample of each fraction, and dilute it to 40 or 45% ABV *before* tasting (using that booze-blender's formula). This way you don't have to force your palate to compensate for wildly-differing ABV's.

        I've made several stovetop stills in the .25 to 1.0 gallon size, based on a simplification of the gin essence still from Tony Ackland's site, under "flavoring, gin". These make great experimenting/learning/extract-making stills.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: Anthony.Athawes@...
        Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:11:59 +0100
        Subject: [Distillers] Fw: NO REPLIES RECEIVED - Follow On!

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30 1:39 PM
          Dear Zymurgy Bob,

          Thank you very much for your direct and uncomplicated reply to my
          questions.

          They were much appreciated, and I was glad to see you already use a one
          gallon still for experimental work. I shall set about making one.
          Curiously, I have never had really bad off-tasting tails. Neither have I
          had unpleasant odours and I reckon my nose is pretty good at detection -
          hearing is another matter!

          The automatic formula that I had been searching for and nobody
          mentioned was sitting there, all the time, in Tony Acklands treatise.
          Actually the formula is simple to work out but there is something
          attractive about getting the PC to work it out instantly. As someone
          said, it's not a bad idea to dilut step by step with a hydrometer in
          one's hand.

          I should like to than others for their kindly comments and I rather feel
          one of my replies went adrift. (Re the capitals there was no intention
          to do this other than not wanting to re-type four lines where I'd
          forgotten the caps lock).

          Best Wishes

          Tony

          > Tony,
          >
          > If you have tasted all 7 of those fractions, and decided that they are
          all good enough to include in your final product, there's no reason that
          you can't mix them all together, measure that total ABV, and dilute to
          the ABV you want.

          > On the other hand, those last couple of fractions just may taste a bit
          of tails, something you won't want in your final spirit. Trust your
          palate on which fractions to include.

          > As a help in tasting, I use 3mL syringes to take a tiny sample of each
          fraction, and dilute it to 40 or 45% ABV *before* tasting (using that
          booze-blender's formula). This way you don't have to force your palate
          to compensate for wildly-differing ABV's.

          > I've made several stovetop stills in the .25 to 1.0 gallon size, based
          on a simplification of the gin essence still from Tony Ackland's site,
          under "flavoring, gin". These make great
          experimenting/learning/extract-making stills.

          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          >

          > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: Anthony.Athawes@...
          > Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:11:59 +0100