NO REPLIES RECEIVED

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009
      I WROTE INTO THE GROUP ASKING ABOUT THE FORMULA FOR AUTOMATICALLY WORKING OUT THE QUANTITY OF WATER FOR ABV.

      IT ALSO INCLUDED THE ABV'S OF 7 SUCCESSIVE 500CC BOTTLES OF DISTILLATE.

      Sorry about the capitals!

      But I had no repies, though many would have known the answer and refence.
      (It isn't in the Compleat Distiller as far as I can find).I guess everyone thinks someone else will reply?

      So, may I respectfully re-ask for this information. If my letterbox gets jammed, I'll accept the risk!

      Tony
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009

        TONY,

        First off, there is no need to yell - CAPS = Yelling...

        Secondly my friend, me thinks you better get glasses or start making better cuts to your distillations, cuz your going BLIND....

        Thirdly, if your really into distilling, then you should have read Tony's Homedistillers site through out to begin with...

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo

        Moderator.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

        > I WROTE INTO THE GROUP ASKING ABOUT THE FORMULA FOR AUTOMATICALLY WORKING OUT THE QUANTITY OF WATER FOR ABV.
        >
        > IT ALSO INCLUDED THE ABV'S OF 7 SUCCESSIVE 500CC BOTTLES OF DISTILLATE.
        >
        > Sorry about the capitals!
        >
        > But I had no repies, though many would have known the answer and refence.
        > (It isn't in the Compleat Distiller as far as I can find).I guess everyone thinks someone else will reply?
        >
        > So, may I respectfully re-ask for this information. If my letterbox gets jammed, I'll accept the risk!
        >
        > Tony

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009
          --- On Mon, 9/28/09, Anthony <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

          > I WROTE INTO THE GROUP ASKING ABOUT THE FORMULA FOR
          > AUTOMATICALLY WORKING OUT THE QUANTITY OF WATER FOR ABV.
          >
          > IT ALSO INCLUDED THE ABV'S OF 7 SUCCESSIVE 500CC BOTTLES OF
          > DISTILLATE.
          >
          > Sorry about the capitals!

          Instead of being sorry, howzabout simply not using them?

          > But I had no repies, though many would have known the
          > answer and refence.
          > (It isn't in the Compleat Distiller as far as I can find).I
          > guess everyone thinks someone else will reply?

          See Jim's reply.

          > So, may I respectfully re-ask for this information. If my
          > letterbox gets jammed, I'll accept the risk!

          Yes, you may *respectfully* re-ask, but mind the caps-lock and do pay attention to the fact that you not only got an answer, but it was timely and accurate. As a result, it would appear that nobody else felt the need to clog the list with redundant replies.

          As for my own personal preference, if you have the tools to measure %abv in the first place, measure, dilute, measure again...repeat as necessary until you get the desired result. Far quicker than waiting for replies on the list IMNSHO.

          Trid
          - RTFM and PTFA
        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009
            Tony,

            If I understand correctly what you are doing, this is my formula for diluting a known amount of a known ABV liquor to a known lower ABV. Note that units don't matter as long as you don't change units in the middle of a calculation. You can use mL, ounces, drams, or mouthfuls for units, and ABV, proof, or decimal for concentration, and it will still work.

            For examples, of you are diluting 1200mL of 60% ABV (120 proof, 0.6 alcohol by volume), all these formulas work for the amount of water you need to add

            1200(60-40)/40=600mL water to add

            1200(120-80)/80=600mL   and

            1200(0.6-0.4)/0.4=600mL

            a is amount of liquor to be blended (any units)
            b is amount of water to be added (same units)
            O is original concentration of EtOH (from 0.00 to 1.00, or 0-100%ABV)
            F is final concentration of blend (from 0.00 to 1.00, or 0-100%ABV)

            Formula b=a(O-F)/F

            Understand that this formula does not account for the fact that mixing 2L of ethanol and 2L of water does not give you exactly 4L of mixture, but it's close enough for most liquor dilutions.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com