Naxos Kitron

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2009
      Naxos Kitron

      http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-785392.html

      Kitron is made using the leaves of the citron (Citrus medica). The essential oil from citrus leaves is called 'petit grain'. Possibly the fruit ('etrog' in Hebrew) was sold for Jewish ritual purposes which left only the leaves for liqueurs.
      I have not seen an actual recipe, but lemon leaves are sometimes added to Italian limoncello recipes. The leaves of the Caffre/Kaffir lime (Citrus hystrix) is used in Thai cooking. I estimate that you would need about 1/2lb citron leaves/quart alcohol (40%) or about 200g/litre. You can always modify the flavor by adding more neutral alcohol. A dry version would have a tablespoon of sugar/litre while a sweet version would have a cup. Here is a suggested recipe -

      Citron leaf liqueur

      250g citron leaves
      1 litre neutral alcohol 55%abv
      500ml water
      1tbsp-1 cup sugar (to taste)

      Macerate (steep) in alcohol for 24 hours, add water(to 40%abv) and redistil. Dilute to 40% and add sugar to taste.

      wal
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2009
        Wal,

        I haven't tasted the citron leaves, but I'm very familiar with the kaffir lime leaves, and they are a *very* complex and amazing flavor. I've tried common (to the US) lemon and orange leaves for flavor, and while good, are no match for kaffir lime.

        Although kaffir lime leaves are expensive and hard to find where I live, I'd love to try a kaffir lime liqueur. I'm guessing some wold love it and some would hate it.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2009
          Kaffir limes are a wild lime from SE Asia with very thick crinkly fruit. I have germinated seeds from the fruit(which is not very juicy). The leaves are sold in Vietnamese shops in Australia.
          No personal experience with citrus leaves to date. I have planted a Buddha's Hand and a regular citron. The regular does not like the cold too much, but it is starting to warm up here.
          wal

          > Wal,
          >
          > I haven't tasted the citron leaves, but I'm very familiar with the kaffir lime leaves, and they are a *very* complex and amazing flavor. I've tried common (to the US) lemon and orange leaves for flavor, and while good, are no match for kaffir lime.
          >
          > Although kaffir lime leaves are expensive and hard to find where I live, I'd love to try a kaffir lime liqueur. I'm guessing some wold love it and some would hate it.
          >
          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          >

          > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: waljaco@...
          > Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:44:31 +0000
          > Subject: [Distillers] Naxos Kitron

          > Naxos Kitron
          >

          > http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-785392.html
          >

          > Kitron is made using the leaves of the citron (Citrus medica). The essential oil from citrus leaves is called 'petit grain'. Possibly the fruit ('etrog' in Hebrew) was sold for Jewish ritual purposes which left only the leaves for liqueurs.
          >
          > I have not seen an actual recipe, but lemon leaves are sometimes added to Italian limoncello recipes. The leaves of the Caffre/Kaffir lime (Citrus hystrix) is used in Thai cooking. I estimate that you would need about 1/2lb citron leaves/quart alcohol (40%) or about 200g/litre. You can always modify the flavor by adding more neutral alcohol. A dry version would have a tablespoon of sugar/litre while a sweet version would have a cup. Here is a suggested recipe -
          >

          > Citron leaf liqueur
          >

          > 250g citron leaves
          >
          > 1 litre neutral alcohol 55%abv
          >
          > 500ml water
          >
          > 1tbsp-1 cup sugar (to taste)
          >

          > Macerate (steep) in alcohol for 24 hours, add water(to 40%abv) and redistil. Dilute to 40% and add sugar to taste.
          >

          > wal

          > Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits.
          > http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Storage_062009

        • MoSS
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
            Thats brilliant, now I know what to do with my Kaffir tree!

            Home in a week, just in time to try the Campari recipe, crank up the still once more, taste the rum I put down 2 weeks ago & now I can use the leaves, plus pickle the limes...
            I can see a hazy 3 weeks coming.....

            Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.........

            Mike

            > Kaffir limes are a wild lime from SE Asia with very thick crinkly fruit. I have germinated seeds from the fruit(which is not very juicy). The leaves are sold in Vietnamese shops in Australia.
            > No personal experience with citrus leaves to date. I have planted a Buddha's Hand and a regular citron. The regular does not like the cold too much, but it is starting to warm up here.
            > wal
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Wal,

          • duds2u
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009

              > Naxos Kitron
              >
              > http://www.skyscrapercity.com/archive/index.php/t-785392.html
              >
              > Kitron is made using the leaves of the citron (Citrus medica). The essential oil from citrus leaves is called 'petit grain'. Possibly the fruit ('etrog' in Hebrew) was sold for Jewish ritual purposes which left only the leaves for liqueurs.
              > I have not seen an actual recipe, but lemon leaves are sometimes added to Italian limoncello recipes. The leaves of the Caffre/Kaffir lime (Citrus hystrix) is used in Thai cooking. I estimate that you would need about 1/2lb citron leaves/quart alcohol (40%) or about 200g/litre. You can always modify the flavor by adding more neutral alcohol. A dry version would have a tablespoon of sugar/litre while a sweet version would have a cup. Here is a suggested recipe -
              >
              > Citron leaf liqueur
              >
              > 250g citron leaves
              > 1 litre neutral alcohol 55%abv
              > 500ml water
              > 1tbsp-1 cup sugar (to taste)
              >
              > Macerate (steep) in alcohol for 24 hours, add water(to 40%abv) and redistil. Dilute to 40% and add sugar to taste.
              >
              > wal

              I was in the Greek islands a couple of years ago and came across one of the few remaining Kitron distilleries on Naxos. They had a clear, green and yellow version. I can't remember the differences but I think the yellow one had some saffron in it. They did an infusion and then a second distillation in a ancient pot still. Unfortunately it was between seasons when we were thare so I didn't see themm making it. besidesthat, I don't speak Greek.

              I have been making a Kaffir liqueur for a while since and am still tinkering with the quantities. I have used both green and dried leaves (I have my own kaffir lime tree). I found the dried leaves gave a softer more subtle flavour.

              The last one I made was only about a month ago so it needs a litle bit of time to age.

              30 dried leaves
              500 ml of 50%ABV alcohol
              Macerate for 10 days
              Dilute to taste with a simple syrup made from
              250 ml water
              250 gm sugar.
            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
                Damn, Mike,

                Keep me posted. Kaffir lime's pretty rare stuff around here, and I've considered try to grow it, but friends who have tried all failed.

                You lucky stiff!

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: zedrally@...
                Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:34:17 +0000
                Subject: [Distillers] Kaffir Lime was Naxos Kitron

                Thats brilliant, now I know what to do with my Kaffir tree!

                Home in a week, just in time to try the Campari recipe, crank up the still once more, taste the rum I put down 2 weeks ago & now I can use the leaves, plus pickle the limes...
                I can see a hazy 3 weeks coming.....

                Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.........

                Mike

                -----snip----

              • Robert Hubble
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
                  What is this, a conspiracy to make Bob feel bad?

                  Does this mean you both get to make Panang curry (one of my alltime favorite foods, made perfect with kaffir lime) anytime you want?

                  What ever happened to equality?

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  I have used both green and dried leaves (I have my own kaffir lime tree). I found the dried leaves gave a softer more subtle flavour.----snip----

                  The last one I made was only about a month ago so it needs a litle bit of time to age.

                  30 dried leaves
                  500 ml of 50%ABV alcohol
                  Macerate for 10 days
                  Dilute to taste with a simple syrup made from
                  250 ml water
                  250 gm sugar.

                  Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Maybe as a pot plant? Keep inside during the winter.
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Is this a 10 day min. or will it be OK for 21 days?

                      Sorry Bob, anyone have any Banana Recipe's....
                      Guess, I'm lucky living in a micro climate.

                      Mike

                      Ah yes, nothing better than using fresh Kaffir leaves in a Thai curry!

                      > What is this, a conspiracy to make Bob feel bad?
                      >
                      > Does this mean you both get to make Panang curry (one of my alltime favorite foods, made perfect with kaffir lime) anytime you want?
                      >
                      > What ever happened to equality?
                      >
                      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                      >

                      > I have used both green and dried leaves (I have my own kaffir lime tree). I found the dried leaves gave a softer more subtle flavour.----snip----
                      >

                      > The last one I made was only about a month ago so it needs a litle bit of time to age.
                      >

                      > 30 dried leaves
                      >
                      > 500 ml of 50%ABV alcohol
                      >
                      > Macerate for 10 days
                      >
                      > Dilute to taste with a simple syrup made from
                      >
                      > 250 ml water
                      >
                      > 250 gm sugar.

                      > Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now
                      > http://www.bing.com?form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_tagline_try bing_1x1

                    • duds2u
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009

                        > What is this, a conspiracy to make Bob feel bad?
                        >
                        > Does this mean you both get to make Panang curry (one of my alltime favorite foods, made perfect with kaffir lime) anytime you want?
                        >
                        > What ever happened to equality?
                        >
                        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                        >
                        > Sorry Bob, the answer is yes.
                        By the way PM me your Penang curry recipe and I'll PM some of the secrets of Kaffir Liqueur.
                        Here's the first one for free. You have got to grow ir in your own/near neighbours backyard
                        Cheers
                        Mal T.
                        (Harry's Acolyte - but don't tell him)