Re: Alternative enzyme source

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009

      Actually Wal,

      One of the native methods of making "Muko"  or malted corn uses just that principle:

      "Another method of "malting" corn produces muko instead of jora. Muko is made from corn that is not sprouted, but instead dried, ground, and the flour masticated. Traditionally, this task was performed by groups of women and children. Once moist, the ball of flour is flattened against the roof of the mouth with the tongue, and the cake is removed from the mouth and allowed to dry. Amylase enzymes present in the saliva convert the starches in the corn and this was the method by which the highest quality chicha was once made. Not too much chicha de muko is made these days because of the amount of labor involved, though I have talked with several people who make chicha this way at home. Muko could be substituted directly for jora. "

      Also Urea is the basis for the "MUM" mash Mason developed along with our help that used Plant foods for the Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphate requirements of yeast.

      The main source of the Nitrogen is "Urea Nitrogen" found in Miracle Gro and other plant foods.  Of course this is artificially made and not from "natural sources" :D:D:D.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo