RE: [Distillers] Re: Looking to source 8 " dia. Cu pipe and glass outer shell for a Cu coil condenser

  • M W
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
      Hkmmm could you pack between the plates for more efficiency? Just a thought :)
    • Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
        Each plate is already "packed" with 2" of water, the vapours passing from the previous plate has to bubble through that water etc. Anything that condenser is refluxed to the previous plate.

        The only point in the chain where packing in our sense of the term would be in the chimney pipes inside each bubbler cap, 2.5" by 7 layers.... Might be something to look at for version 2. <grin>

        P.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
          Thomas et al; I am impressed with your effort. Can you explain the
          type of plates you are using? Are they bubble cap or perforated? Have
          you had to clean them yet. When you fabricated your column how did you
          attach your plates? Sorry for all the questions but I think you done so
          good work here. As for your drain lines have you considered putting a
          tee and a bleeder valve on each? You could then test your column at
          each plate and use the liquids for blending.

          Rufus
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom" <t_janstrom@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Geoff,
          >

          > Yes, and then again no…..
          >

          > Yes it's a fractionating still/column, but the taps along the side
          are not
          > to take of fractions, but to drain the plates after use. If I had been
          able
          > to build it taller (more plates) I would have started putting take off
          > points in from plate 12 onwards, but as she's only 8 plates I
          might as well
          > just take the top fraction and segregate the heads (she's a batch
          still)
          > etc.
          >

          > Think of the stack as more like (in this case) a string of seven
          thumpers
          > running in series, yes I know not the most efficient set up, but by
          the time
          > I found these groups the die was well and truly cast. That said I do
          have
          > the materials to build a 2" OD packed column and might just give
          that a go
          > at some point if only to see what the difference would be out put
          wise.

          > Well I'd better get back to nursing my application for a
          distillers permit
          > through the system. <grin> Nothing harder in this world than trying to
          go
          > legit!
          >

          > Cheers, Thomas Janstrom.
          >
          > Little Gems.
          >
          > http://tjlittlegems.com <http://tjlittlegems.com/index.htm>

          On
          > Behalf Of Geoff
          > Sent: Sunday, 27 September 2009 11:18 PM
          > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Looking to source 8 " dia. Cu pipe and glass
          outer
          > shell for a Cu coil condenser
          >

          > Hi, folks, and hello Thomas,
          > First let me say I am not at all an expert in this stuff.
          >
          > Thomas, that picture looks like what I imagine to be called (I think)
          > 'fractionating still/column'.
          > My idea of the way it works is that its reflux action makes
          > differing concentrations of alcohol available at the various draw-off
          points
          > (at each plate) as you have shown.
          >
          > You could have separate taps with a collection vessel for each one.
          >
          > But you have shown all (most?) of these draw-off pipes simply
          combining into
          > a common vertical pipe.
          >
          > Does this not mean that you lose the advantage of this feature of the
          > fractionating still, its unique ability to separate out the 'cuts', if
          you
          > will, by re-combining all the different types/alcohols/proofs into the
          > single draw-off tube??
          >
          > And would it be worth your while (very little effort involved) to try
          it out
          > with separate draw-off collection vessels, to see what they produce?
          >
          > I would love to hear from someone with more expertise than myself on
          this,
          > too.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > The Baker
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          > "Thomas Janstrom" t_janstrom@ wrote:
          > >
          > > FYI, I just posted a picture of my 6" 8 plate still that is still
          under
          > > construction, but oh so near completion!
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/y97ll23 including the pot she stands 2m tall. If
          I were

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
            lynx can you give me the name of the Syracuse industrial supplier with
            the 8" pipe?
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rufus" <rufusroughguts@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for that info. From what you've written it sounds like you
            > are well on your way. I'm planning on using 15 psi (29 psia) steam to
            > heat the kettle. What are you planning on using for your heat source?
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lynx421" lynx421@ wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rufus" rufusroughguts@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm in the design phase for a new distillation unit and and I was
            > looking for a source for 8" or 10" copper pipe. I was hoping to find a
            > vendor who sells the this type of pipe by the foot. I am also looking
            > for the materials to make a copper coil condenser with a glass outer
            > shell.
            > > >
            > > > Rufus
            > > >

            > > copper pipe this diameter is very hard to come by... I am also
            > building a commercial still and have substituted 316L stainless steel
            > pipe for copper in the kettle and column for my strip stills... I am
            > using 4 inch copper and a 8 inch brass/ copper heat exchanger for the
            > rectification still.
            > >
            > > If your dead set on copper, i found up to 8 inch at the industrial
            > plumbing supply house special order folks in syracuse NY. very
            > expensive. 125.00 per foot US.
            > >
            > > I look forward to hearing about you build. good luck.
            > >
            > > lynx421

          • Paul Smith
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 28, 2009
              Hi Rufus,

              The plates are all brazed in place and all have bubbler caps, as it stands I can drain one plate at a time so I can keep those condensed fractions sepperate should wish to do so.

              In fact I could use the main drain line (vertical pipe outboard of the valves) as a kind of poor condenser and so take of vapour at almost any given plate. I wonder if I could still do that (for the plates above the feed in valve) when running in continuous mode. I guess I'll have to have a play with the plumbing. <grin>

              I haven't had a chance to test her yet, but will as soon as the last few parts arrive.

              P.

              Thomas et al; I am impressed with your effort. Can you explain the
              type of plates you are using? Are they bubble cap or perforated? Have
              you had to clean them yet. When you fabricated your column how did you
              attach your plates? Sorry for all the questions but I think you done so
              good work here. As for your drain lines have you considered putting a
              tee and a bleeder valve on each? You could then test your column at
              each plate and use the liquids for blending.

              Give Back

              Get inspired

              by a good cause.

              Y! Toolbar

              easy 1-click access

              to your groups.

              Yahoo! Groups

              in 3 easy steps.

              Connect with others.

              .

              Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.