Re: [Distillers] What would you say?

  • Jan Ooms
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 16, 2009
      Hi Harry,
      Put me down for No 2.
      Best Regards,
      Jan.

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:36 AM
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] What would you say?

      Hi Harry,
      Put me down for one of the first.

      Regards
      Joe

      --- On Wed, 16/9/09, gnikomson2000 <gnikomson2000@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      From: gnikomson2000 <gnikomson2000@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [Distillers] What would you say?
      To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Wednesday, 16 September, 2009, 3:29 PM

      ...about a gadget with specs similar to the following...

      What it is:
      A Vapour Management Control device.
      It's a mysterious little box of tricks that you can be set set to any ratio of reflux-to-product that you wish, all the way from 0% reflux : 100% product, to 100% reflux : 0% product. It's small & relatively light.

      How it can help:
      No more guesswork on reflux ratios. No marginal design variables, tolerances or complicated calculations. No electronics. All mechanical operation. You want to build a still, this item will make all the bits virtually "plug 'n' play".

      What it does:
      It will accomodate pot still runs, stripping runs or refluxed product runs under batch conditions. It will accomodate column equilibration and heads removal as liquid, product removal as either liquid or vapour, and tails removal as either liquid or vapour. It's modular, demountable, and quickly cleaned & stored.

      Future R&D will be in the direction of continuous distillation.

      When I've decided on its final form (there are several options to test & compare) and completed trials, I'll post some more about real-world results. Then I'll be commissioning a pilot run of units for sale. If the demand is there, then general production will follow on.

      As this point, there is but one prototype and I'm not ready to proceed until all testing is complete. I posted this to let you know what is in the works & to excuse my absence of late.

    • burrows206
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 16, 2009
        Hi Harry,
        I'm also interested. The theory and nuts and bolts of how it works is more what I'm interested in.
        But hey, yeah if it's going to do everything you say with just a mechanical device and get the huge range of purity and settings in Vapour Management which is for me the Holy Grail of stilling. I'm really interested and impressed.
        Gawd I love this hobby (and just when I thought there was frig all happening Harry goes and pulls this one out of the hat. Way to go Harry. This is a real save thread)
        Geoff

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > ...about a gadget with specs similar to the following...
        >
        > What it is:
        > A Vapour Management Control device.
        > It's a mysterious little box of tricks that you can be set set to any ratio of reflux-to-product that you wish, all the way from 0% reflux : 100% product, to 100% reflux : 0% product. It's small & relatively light.
        >
        > How it can help:
        > No more guesswork on reflux ratios. No marginal design variables, tolerances or complicated calculations. No electronics. All mechanical operation. You want to build a still, this item will make all the bits virtually "plug 'n' play".
        >
        > What it does:
        > It will accomodate pot still runs, stripping runs or refluxed product runs under batch conditions. It will accomodate column equilibration and heads removal as liquid, product removal as either liquid or vapour, and tails removal as either liquid or vapour. It's modular, demountable, and quickly cleaned & stored.
        >
        > Future R&D will be in the direction of continuous distillation.
        >
        > When I've decided on its final form (there are several options to test & compare) and completed trials, I'll post some more about real-world results. Then I'll be commissioning a pilot run of units for sale. If the demand is there, then general production will follow on.
        >
        > As this point, there is but one prototype and I'm not ready to proceed until all testing is complete. I posted this to let you know what is in the works & to excuse my absence of late.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • mikejwoodnz
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 16, 2009
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          > ...about a gadget with specs similar to the following...
          > *snip*

          > Future R&D will be in the direction of continuous distillation.
          >
          > regards Harry

          the "Gadget" sounds like a great advance Harry - looking forward to your thoughts on continuous distillation. I have a modular system - code named "triple bypass" that I'm working on that is designed to do XXX based on more traditional pot still techniques with rectification columns. Please add me to the buyers list as it's about time I got busy learning modern reflux distilling - MikeW :-)
        • M W
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
            Interesting, looking forwards to hearing more :)
          • eric_yendall
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
              Sounds great. I would definitely be interested. Would it require constructing a new dedicated still or could it be retrofitted to a variety of existing popular pot and VPM still designs.

              Eric

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

              > Hi Harry,
              > Put me down for one of the first.
              >
              > Regards
              > Joe

            • martin martins
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                crikey! You'll be having your door kicked in with people wanting them like yesterday. Yep, keep me informed as well please.

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                  Please add me to the list. I'd love to buy and try one. I built one of your crossflow designs which is great. Thanks again for that one.
                  Regards,
                  Bill
                • bob@4agoodauction.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009

                    Vapor Management Control

                    I want one now!!!!!! Go Harry-------------------------bob c

                  • romeo the mad
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 24, 2009
                      Hi Harry,
                      Please add me to the list to.

                      Best Regards,
                      Michael

                      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 24, 2009
                        Harry, I will one day build a VM still, and I certainly will wait to find out more about your device before I do. Most likely I will want one of them.

                        Regards,

                        The Baker

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, romeo the mad <wongsien@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Harry,
                        > Please add me to the list to.
                        >
                        > Best Regards,
                        > Michael
                        >
                        > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: gnikomson2000@...
                        > Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:29:33 +0000
                        > Subject: [Distillers] What would you say?

                        > ...about a gadget with specs similar to the following...
                        >

                        > What it is:
                        >
                        > A Vapour Management Control device.
                        >
                        > It's a mysterious little box of tricks that you can be set set to any ratio of reflux-to-product that you wish, all the way from 0% reflux : 100% product, to 100% reflux : 0% product. It's small & relatively light.
                        >

                        > How it can help:
                        >
                        > No more guesswork on reflux ratios. No marginal design variables, tolerances or complicated calculations. No electronics. All mechanical operation. You want to build a still, this item will make all the bits virtually "plug 'n' play".
                        >

                        > What it does:
                        >
                        > It will accomodate pot still runs, stripping runs or refluxed product runs under batch conditions. It will accomodate column equilibration and heads removal as liquid, product removal as either liquid or vapour, and tails removal as either liquid or vapour. It's modular, demountable, and quickly cleaned & stored.
                        >

                        > Future R&D will be in the direction of continuous distillation.
                        >

                        > When I've decided on its final form (there are several options to test & compare) and completed trials, I'll post some more about real-world results. Then I'll be commissioning a pilot run of units for sale. If the demand is there, then general production will follow on.
                        >

                        > As this point, there is but one prototype and I'm not ready to proceed until all testing is complete. I posted this to let you know what is in the works & to excuse my absence of late.
                        >

                        > Slainte!
                        >
                        > regards Harry

                        > Show them the way! Add maps and directions to your party invites.
                        > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/products/events.aspx

                      • gnikomson2000
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 29, 2009
                          Hang in there guys. Trials are progressing and data collection is happening (subject to time constraints). I need to collate real world data and compare that with theoretical projections. Then I can give guaranteed figures and begin negotiations with a US manufacturer/distributor.

                          Please keep in mind, this item is going to be handled by reputable manufacturers/distributors. No wannabe middlemen here. It will not be released as schematics or blueprints to public domain (sorry), like I did with my crossflow condenser. That little item was a gift back to the hobby, my way of saying "thank you". Many of you have built that one and I have yet to hear a bad word about it. n I guess that says volumes about integrity.

                          The new VM controller I have designed is envisaged as a central component that makes life easy for all still builders/fabricators and will be an essential & versatile piece of kit in its own right.

                          I'm not trying to screw anything out of anybody, just looking to make an honest dollar for work done, & to supply an item that is needed (or at very least a foolproof fabrication component).

                          Now I better stop before this starts to sound like an advertisement. Suffice to say, Watch This Space!

                        • abbababbaccc
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 29, 2009
                            Harry,

                            Do you mind telling us a bit more of how this controller is used? I mean you set a reflux ratio and this device holds it I remember you writing. Why is that a good thing when we know that the RR needs to be increased in non-linear fashion as the run proceeds? Or does this device adjust the RR automatically to the optimum? Not trying to be critical, just curious of finding out the benefits of this device (you can never have too many gadgets).

                            Slainte, Riku

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                            > Hang in there guys. Trials are progressing and data collection is happening (subject to time constraints). I need to collate real world data and compare that with theoretical projections. Then I can give guaranteed figures and begin negotiations with a US manufacturer/distributor.
                            >
                            > Please keep in mind, this item is going to be handled by reputable manufacturers/distributors. No wannabe middlemen here. It will not be released as schematics or blueprints to public domain (sorry), like I did with my crossflow condenser. That little item was a gift back to the hobby, my way of saying "thank you". Many of you have built that one and I have yet to hear a bad word about it. n I guess that says volumes about integrity.
                            >
                            > The new VM controller I have designed is envisaged as a central component that makes life easy for all still builders/fabricators and will be an essential & versatile piece of kit in its own right.
                            >
                            > I'm not trying to screw anything out of anybody, just looking to make an honest dollar for work done, & to supply an item that is needed (or at very least a foolproof fabrication component).
                            >
                            > Now I better stop before this starts to sound like an advertisement. Suffice to say, Watch This Space!
                            >

                            > Slainte!
                            > regards Harry

                          • Rufus
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 6, 2009
                              Harry, is there any news on your vapor management device?
                              Regards,

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 6, 2009
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rufus" <rufusroughguts@...> wrote:

                                > Harry, is there any news on your vapor management device?
                                > Regards,

                                Schematics are under manufacturer's evaluation as we speak. But they're godawful busy this time of year. Hopefully more news soon.

                              • Rufus Roughguts
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 7, 2009
                                  Harry, your entrepreneurial spirit is to be admired.  I'll look forward to hearing more news.
                                  Regards,

                                  > Harry, is there any news on your vapor management device?
                                  > Regards,

                                  Schematics are under manufacturer' s evaluation as we speak. But they're godawful busy this time of year. Hopefully more news soon.

                                • Yves
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 7, 2010
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                    > Schematics are under manufacturer's evaluation as we speak. But they're godawful busy this time of year. Hopefully more news soon.
                                    >

                                    > Slainte!
                                    > regards Harry

                                    Hi Harry !

                                    Just wondering if your new gadget will be available for continuous stills ?
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 9, 2010
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Yves" <aquasasser@...> wrote:
                                      > Hi Harry !
                                      >
                                      > Just wondering if your new gadget will be available for continuous stills ?

                                      It's meant for Vapor Management (VM) batch distillation. Continuous distilling trials is a project on the "to do" list.

                                    • geoff
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010

                                        Hi Harry and all,

                                             Well Harry where is this secret piece of wizardry for Vapour Management?

                                        To quote your posting on 09/03/ 2010

                                        “It's meant for Vapour Management (VM) batch distillation.”

                                             You were gonna give us an explanation, on how the wee beastie works its magic, and then possibly a chance of a purchase?

                                          I know you have all the legal stuff, patents, manufacturing setup, business plan, projected sales forecast, and cash flow etc.etc.if you are gonna make a bob on it.

                                             But I’ll settle for just want a wee peek, or as my Isle of Skye 1969-81 ex-army buddy Rab said last month when he was over visiting “I’ll noo tell a livin' soul ya Ken wot ahh mean” he must mean he’ll only tell Ken whoever Ken is?  (But there seems to be a lot of them up around where he’s fer’(from) and Hens to the way he speaks)

                                             Just on a side note Harry have you ever tasted the “Laphroaig Whiskies” at this link

                                        http://www.laphroaig.com/distillery/virtual_tour/index.asp?expanded=our_distillery.virtual_tour

                                             Rab brought a bottle of 15 year old Laphroaig singleIslay malt with him (to just have a wee dram or two for awld (old) times sac'(sake) he says after a nice wee meal would be good he says) and yes after a nice meal out in in our local town Sarlat we did precisely that. When we got back we proceeded to make a big crowd on that poor wee bottle (speaking like him already). We bought a pack of 24 cans of Mc Kewans I found in the local French supermarket earlier that day to make the Laphroaig single malt experience last a little bit longer (he says) and it did.

                                             If that was what whiskey is supposed to taste like.  All I can say is I must have been drinking “Brasso” all these years.

                                             That first glass on it’s own, at room temperature, was slow and neat (I don’t believe in adding ice or diluting a good single malt in any way whatsoever) but it was something I don’t think I’ll ever forget Gawd it was so beautiful and so smooth on my tongue it just said more to me, he’s bringing two more bottles over in September.  Although it's pricey I can highly recommend Laphroaig single malt  to anyone if you can get your hands on it (it's a high bench mark you'll measure all other whiskey from).  Try this link if you want to buy it on line.  http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3399.aspx

                                             And no I’m not a salesman.  I just like bloody good Laphroaig single malt

                                        Geoff

                                      • Ion Brown

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Harry and all,
                                            >
                                            > Well Harry where is this secret piece of wizardry for Vapour Management?

                                            <snip>

                                            > Geoff

                                            It exists, but it's on the backburner for now. I have a way more important project to complete first. I've been working on it on & off for 3 years. Time to get it done!