Re: MORPETH MOONSHINE DISTILLERY

  • gnikomson2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:

      > Another Micro Distillery in rural Au.
      > On the way there we made a slight detour to visit the Morpeth Moonshine
      > Distillery http://www.morpethwinecellar.com.au/Morpeth%20Moonshine.htm. The
      > distiller makes a small selection of cordials. The primary business is the
      > bottle shop/wine sales and a pizza joint all rolled into an ancient (by Au
      > standards) building. The township of Morpeth's claim to fame is antiques. We
      > tried to do some tasting/talking about the distilled product but the wife?
      > Just wanted to sell wine and wouldn't answer any questions nor supply
      > samples of the distilled produce. The stills and equipment is what you see
      > in the picture which we saw from behind a wire cage. SWMBO commented to me
      > that we had a better setup at home. Whether we struck them at an odd moment
      > or not, we were soon on our way out the door under whelmed by the service,
      > never to return. L
      >

      > Yours in Spirit
      >

      > Robert

      Ah yes. I just had a look at the old Doctor's Cottage with Google Maps (between the tearooms & the fire station). Lovely old bull-nosed-verandah stone structure. But like so many of these 'rustic' look establishments in these old rural service towns, methinks it's more "tourist trap" than genuine micro-distillery. Your comments confirm that impression.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2009
        Possibly they are just props and they buy their neutral alcohol,flavour and dilute it and sell it for a handsome profit?
        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shot Man" <shotman@...> wrote:

        > Hi Robert,
        > I ran off my 3rd generation of UJSM last night (about 14 liters to start) and ended with a little over 1400ml of good 1X hearts on my pot still. About 54% abv (temperature corrected) all mixed. At their price of $35.00 for 210ml I got $245.00 worth uncut . No wonder it tastes so good..... Were the 2 stills in the picture you saw in person just big Bokabob types with either a column mounted catch can or extra cooling? It does not seem to be hooked up right to be thumpers.
        > Thanks for the link,
        > shotman

      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2009

          Apologies for the tardy response, I’m on holidays! And part of that is cleaning out the shed, boy is that a BIG job; but I digress. No the pictures pretty much sum it up, I thought they were CM type stills, the tower’s were about 1 yard tall. The pictures do a pretty good job of missing the weld mesh cage that it’s in but the room corner is that small. As for importing the ethanol, yes he pretty much could be doing that and given the flavours that he sells, he could be just steeping the fruit in the ethanol. That could also be the reason for NOT wanting to taste test.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

          To Question is to Educate!