Re: alcohol as gasline fuel treatment?

  • gsatra
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2009
      Greetings folks, new Groupy here,

      The easiest way I found to get as close to 100%ABV was a concept I learned from another science, mineralogy. My father, in addition to being an engineer, was a rock hound and one of his favorite species to collect in our area was Zeolite. This mineral acts as a "molecular seive" http://www.molecularsieve.org/Zeolite_Molecular_Sieve.htm.

      As it turns out, there was a cheap brand of kitty litter at the grocery store that was mostly crushed up zeolite. Doing 10 gallons of fuel at a time, pour in the 20 lb. sack of Zeolite/litter. After a certain length of time, the you get closer to 100%, Then quickly filter and cap. The Zeolite litter then gets dried out in the hot sun and used again. This is the easiest "off the rack anyone can do it" trick I tried to get past the 196 sticking point. Very imprecise and needs some garage/basement research, but plausible for the hobbiest....

      I will roll this over into the alcohol fuel forum.

      _
    • grahamfennie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2009
        Hi Keith (et al),

        I would like to point out (politely) that you are incorrect, though many people share your misinformed perception. At the risk of getting the "beverage" folks pissed off at me, I'll just point out one or two things. Please feel free to re-post this to the "fuel" group if you like.

        You can mix "hydrous" ethanol with gasoline without having the mixture separate, but saying that "you can" and "you can't" (either way) is a gross over-simplification.

        Phase separation only occurs when there is TOO much water in the mixture and if the temperature is TOO cold. Some water in the ethanol/gasoline mixture is just fine. In fact, some water in the mixture can be beneficial (increased power, reduced emissions, etc) but that's a much longer e-mail.

        For example, it is true that phase separation CAN occur if you have a mixture of 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol, AND if the ethanol is less than about 195 proof AND if the temperature drops below about -25C. Whether the mixture will separate (or not) depends on at least those four variables.

        The University of Denmark (T. Johansen, J. Schramm) did an exhaustive evaluation of "myth vs. reality" and found, among other things, that a 50/50 mixture of ethanol and gasoline would not phase separate (even at -25C), even if the ethanol was only 180 proof. We successfully validated their results in our lab.

        Please read the full text of their research here:
        http://www.iea-amf.vtt.fi/pdf/annex35report_final.pdf

        In addition, ethanol absorbs water and carries it out of your gas tank. Gasoline does not (gas "floats" on the layer of water). The implications of this should be obvious.

        Oh, and by the way, you probably already have water in your gas tank even if you've never used ethanol. Condensation will do that.

        Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like me to explain any of this in detail.

        Cheers!
        -Graham

        Graham A. Fennie
        Founder, Epiphergy