Re: Bierschnapps

  • mikejwoodnz
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2009

      > Thanks, Robert.
      >
      > Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from (hopped) beer.
      >
      > I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > Thanks, Robert.
      >
      > Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from (hopped) beer.
      >
      > I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      I haven't tasted the original but had read that it should be made using un-hopped malt. I was making whisky with an un-hopped malt extract base and mistakenly (hic) used dunder from my Peach Stillage. The wash smelt great but not like a scotch wash (hic, hic) so I distilled in the pot still adding plenty of fresh mint leaf. I just ran this through the once and it made a very nice version of Beer Schnapps, soft, beer malty with minted peach overtones, nice mouthfeel. I had favourable comments from other drunks :x