RE: [Distillers] Bierschnapps

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6 7:09 AM
      Thanks, Robert.

      Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from (hopped) beer.

      I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      > To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: robertle@...
      > Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:22:32 +0100
      > Subject: Re: [Distillers] Bierschnapps
      >
      > On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:30:04AM -0700, Robert Hubble wrote:
      > > I've distilled beer, and am not in love with the distilled hops flavor, and I lived in Munich for a couple of years, but never heard of bierschnapps there, let alone taste it.
      >
      > i am from around there, and i have had bierschnapps at one or two
      > occasions. i don't think it is very good, and certainly not seen very
      > often. i guess it is something people do for the hell of it...
      >
      > cu robert
      >
      > --
      > Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com

      ----snip----

      Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.
    • Rasputin Paracelsus
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6 10:28 AM
        Now this is interesting.

        The very first thing I distilled was a honey brown beer I'd made the
        year before but didn't like much so never bothered to bottle....

        It tasted fine... though I did get a terrible hangover the next day from
        being enthusiastic and consuming too much (and also not redistilling it
        multiple times as I later learned I should have done, making cuts)

        Robert Hubble wrote:

        > Thanks, Robert.
        >
        > Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind
        > of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens
        > when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the
        > batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from
        > (hopped) beer.
        >
        > I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      • Rob Macrobert
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8 8:24 PM
          ZB,
          This got me wondering, so I did a little research and found out you are pretty much dead on, though it's also considered a brandy.
          If yer german is up to scratch, here's an article on it.

          www.co-cooking.de/Article212.phtml

          According to another article I found, it's basically nothing more than a distilled Doppelbock, sometimes ran through a thumper filled with fresh beer to get the flavours.
          HTH,
          Robbie Mac
          Sometime tinkerer and sometimes it even works....

          Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from (hopped) beer.

          I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          > To: distillers@yahoogro ups.com
          > From: robertle@semistable .com
          > Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:22:32 +0100
          > Subject: Re: [Distillers] Bierschnapps
          >
          > On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:30:04AM -0700, Robert Hubble wrote:
          > > I've distilled beer, and am not in love with the distilled hops flavor, and I lived in Munich for a couple of years, but never heard of bierschnapps there, let alone taste it.
          >
          > i am from around there, and i have had bierschnapps at one or two
          > occasions. i don't think it is very good, and certainly not seen very
          > often. i guess it is something people do for the hell of it...
          >
          > cu robert
          >
          > --
          > Robert Lemmen http://www.semistab le.com

          --
          Be Yourself @ mail.com
          Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 9 8:31 AM
            Robbie, you just gave me one of the best laughs I've had for years.

            Not having much confidence (or competence, as far as that goes) in what's left of my German language skills, I took that page you gave to to babelfish. Honest to god, it takes a genius to write software that f*cks a language up that badly! I laughed until tears ran down my face (and that's with no bourbon, which can be pretty good cryin' booze).

            Babelfish translation is worse than the worst American tourist trying to explore Marienplatz with a cheap guidebook. A Peter Sellers slapstick dialect routine shows more skill (but less humor) than that babelfish translation.

            At any rate, thanks for that URL, and I was able to tease out most of the meaning to it, and got to laugh my ass off in the process.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9 11:15 AM
              I tried running some beer through my pot still, hated it. It was the hop oils that came though with the liquor and it just wasn't nice. Took bleedin' ages to clean the still and condensor after that experiment as well. It's suprising how the hop oils hang around.

              Good luck *ugh*

              :)

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9 12:11 PM
                I wasn't crazy about it, either, but Trid seems to love the stuff. Make you wonder what part of his body has the taste buds (snort!).

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9 6:59 PM
                  --- On Sun, 8/9/09, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                  I wasn't crazy about it, either, but Trid seems to love the stuff. Make you wonder what part of his body has the taste buds (snort!).

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  ******************

                  Hey now... :)
                  In truth, I got a little more insight into my first batch which helped illuminate why I liked it as much as I do. Apparently the beer we used to make it wasn't the pale ale I thought it was. Turns out it was my friend's "Honey Doom" which is essentially a pale ale augmented with honey and some other adjuncts. In retrospect, it's that hint of honey in the nose that made it quite nifty...a now, very nearly gone.

                  A local commercial micro brewer gave me 6 gallons of a holiday ale (significantly hopped, too) and said "here, play with it." I was curious why it came out nothing like the first batch (although interesting nonetheless). The honey bit made quite a difference. The holiday ale bierschnaps is coming up on one year on oak. I've stoppered the container with a paper towel to speed the angels up on doing their thing. At one year I'm going to give the brewer a bottle to see how (if?) he likes it.

                  On a similar note, I have about 3-4 gallons of a nice hefty cyser that needs to become a brandy of sort. I also have a case of a friend's spiced mead (he went a little overboard with the cloves so he's not particularly fond of it) that I'm going to make into a brandy as well. Who knows, perhaps there could be some creative blends to be found in there.

                  Trid
                  -runnin' more rum for the time being
                • pugs2510
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11 3:40 PM
                    i have completed this many times with differant results. i call it hopscotch . later pugs

                    > --- On Sun, 8/9/09, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I wasn't crazy about it, either, but Trid seems to love the stuff. Make you wonder what part of his body has the taste buds (snort!).
                    >
                    > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                    >
                    > ******************
                    >
                    > Hey now... :)
                    > In truth, I got a little more insight into my first batch which helped illuminate why I liked it as much as I do. Apparently the beer we used to make it wasn't the pale ale I thought it was. Turns out it was my friend's "Honey Doom" which is essentially a pale ale augmented with honey and some other adjuncts. In retrospect, it's that hint of honey in the nose that made it quite nifty...a now, very nearly gone.
                    >
                    > A local commercial micro brewer gave me 6 gallons of a holiday ale (significantly hopped, too) and said "here, play with it." I was curious why it came out nothing like the first batch (although interesting nonetheless). The honey bit made quite a difference. The holiday ale bierschnaps is coming up on one year on oak. I've stoppered the container with a paper towel to speed the angels up on doing their thing. At one year I'm going to give the brewer a bottle to see how (if?) he likes it.
                    >
                    > On a similar note, I have about 3-4 gallons of a nice hefty cyser that needs to become a brandy of sort. I also have a case of a friend's spiced mead (he went a little overboard with the cloves so he's not particularly fond of it) that I'm going to make into a brandy as well. Who knows, perhaps there could be some creative blends to be found in there.
                    >
                    > Trid
                    > -runnin' more rum for the time being

                  • mikejwoodnz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 12 2:31 PM

                      > Thanks, Robert.
                      >
                      > Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from (hopped) beer.
                      >
                      > I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.
                      >
                      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                      >

                      > Thanks, Robert.
                      >
                      > Because it's distilled from a beer, I'm going to classify it as a kind of German whiskey, but oddly hop flavored. I'm guessing it happens when a batch of beer goes bad, and it's just a way of saving the batch. That works well for wine, but I'm guessing not so well from (hopped) beer.
                      >
                      > I left Munich about 40 years ago, but I really loved those people.
                      >
                      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                      I haven't tasted the original but had read that it should be made using un-hopped malt. I was making whisky with an un-hopped malt extract base and mistakenly (hic) used dunder from my Peach Stillage. The wash smelt great but not like a scotch wash (hic, hic) so I distilled in the pot still adding plenty of fresh mint leaf. I just ran this through the once and it made a very nice version of Beer Schnapps, soft, beer malty with minted peach overtones, nice mouthfeel. I had favourable comments from other drunks :x