Sarlanoix 16% abv

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hi lads,
      There's a local aperitif here in Sarlat in The South of France it's called Sarlanoix it's only 16 % Abv but boy it's nice. Here's a link:-
      http://tiny.cc/xRftk
      I'm trying my hand at reproducing a similar 2 litre start up trial copy and as it's an aperitif made from walnuts "noix" meaning walnut in French. I'm rightly or wrongly assuming this aperitif is made from walnut oil. And will be adding a specified and as yet unknown quantity of walnut oil to the ½ litre of 95 % Abv alcohol. Will it chemically mix with this high % Abv without settling out? How strong a flavour profile is Walnut Nut oil? And will I need much as I have ½ a litre and can get more?
      I know Virgin Olive oil changes and get more intense and it's flavour profile changes for the better when heated up to and above 100C. Would this also hold true for walnut oil?
      I intend, if it is successful and if it blends to add caramel for a rich dark brown colour and a vanilla pod seeded and roasted in a little of the walnut oil for smoothness of taste that the hot oil with the vanilla will impart i hope
      What do you think guys? I know most all of you have not, nor ever will taste this aperitif nectar but if I can crack this you all might be able to partake. I have found among all the visitors that come here. Men are the ones who take a shine to it most. So if anyone can help with any suggestions I would be really more than grateful and happy to try it out if I thought it would help
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
        Bonjour,
        It looks like the Italian nocino - an infusion on green walnuts. Leave the walnut oil for your salads!
        wal
        -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

        > Hi lads,
        > There's a local aperitif here in Sarlat in The South of France it's called Sarlanoix it's only 16 % Abv but boy it's nice. Here's a link:-
        > http://tiny.cc/xRftk
        > I'm trying my hand at reproducing a similar 2 litre start up trial copy and as it's an aperitif made from walnuts "noix" meaning walnut in French. I'm rightly or wrongly assuming this aperitif is made from walnut oil. And will be adding a specified and as yet unknown quantity of walnut oil to the ½ litre of 95 % Abv alcohol. Will it chemically mix with this high % Abv without settling out? How strong a flavour profile is Walnut Nut oil? And will I need much as I have ½ a litre and can get more?
        > I know Virgin Olive oil changes and get more intense and it's flavour profile changes for the better when heated up to and above 100C. Would this also hold true for walnut oil?
        > I intend, if it is successful and if it blends to add caramel for a rich dark brown colour and a vanilla pod seeded and roasted in a little of the walnut oil for smoothness of taste that the hot oil with the vanilla will impart i hope
        > What do you think guys? I know most all of you have not, nor ever will taste this aperitif nectar but if I can crack this you all might be able to partake. I have found among all the visitors that come here. Men are the ones who take a shine to it most. So if anyone can help with any suggestions I would be really more than grateful and happy to try it out if I thought it would help
        > Geoff

      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
          Hi Wal (and Joe),
          Looks like green walnut macerated and left to sit a while is the way to go on this one. Another forum member and very good friend Joe more or less advised the same thing, so with two stillers of both your experience advising green walnut nuts, well green walnuts is the way I'm going. Thanks a bunch lads.
          Geoff

          > Bonjour,
          > It looks like the Italian nocino - an infusion on green walnuts. Leave the walnut oil for your salads!
          > wal
          > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi lads,
          > > There's a local aperitif here in Sarlat in The South of France it's called Sarlanoix it's only 16 % Abv but boy it's nice. Here's a link:-
          > > http://tiny.cc/xRftk
          > > I'm trying my hand at reproducing a similar 2 litre start up trial copy and as it's an aperitif made from walnuts "noix" meaning walnut in French. I'm rightly or wrongly assuming this aperitif is made from walnut oil. And will be adding a specified and as yet unknown quantity of walnut oil to the ½ litre of 95 % Abv alcohol. Will it chemically mix with this high % Abv without settling out? How strong a flavour profile is Walnut Nut oil? And will I need much as I have ½ a litre and can get more?
          > > I know Virgin Olive oil changes and get more intense and it's flavour profile changes for the better when heated up to and above 100C. Would this also hold true for walnut oil?
          > > I intend, if it is successful and if it blends to add caramel for a rich dark brown colour and a vanilla pod seeded and roasted in a little of the walnut oil for smoothness of taste that the hot oil with the vanilla will impart i hope
          > > What do you think guys? I know most all of you have not, nor ever will taste this aperitif nectar but if I can crack this you all might be able to partake. I have found among all the visitors that come here. Men are the ones who take a shine to it most. So if anyone can help with any suggestions I would be really more than grateful and happy to try it out if I thought it would help
          > > Geoff

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
            The problem with making nocino, at least according to Micio, was finding that blonde virgin to pick the walnuts in the moonlight on St. Swithins Eve.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: jeffrey.burrows@...
            Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:18:15 +0000
            Subject: [Distillers] Re: Sarlanoix 16% abv

            Hi Wal (and Joe),
            Looks like green walnut macerated and left to sit a while is the way to go on this one. Another forum member and very good friend Joe more or less advised the same thing, so with two stillers of both your experience advising green walnut nuts, well green walnuts is the way I'm going. Thanks a bunch lads.
            Geoff

            Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. Try it now.