Re: Internal Reflux in a Pot Still - Need Help

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
      Actually I just did a sour corn mash few weeks ago using that technique and it turned out just fine. You can have a dram to test if you pop by ;)

      The thing is that high ABV is not stripping off anything, rather concentrating different congeners. As described by Ian Smiley you can make perfectly good whisky with high ABV if you pay attention to details. The procedure is somewhat different from a potstill but it gives you much more hearts and less feints.

      Slainte, Riku

      > But I still would not try distilling my sour corn mash at the 94 to 95%
      > ABV levels that Riku mentioned.

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009

        OOOPS,

        Sorry Riku,  didn't mean it was wrong, just really ment to say - there aint no way I could distill it up to that 94-95% ABV with the little pot still I have...  Just like ZB, I is just another one of them thar Southerner  simple pot stiller too...:)

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.  (but would love to try that there dram - or 2 or 3....)

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
          No worries mate. But this actually leads to a question, if you have a vertical pipe in your potstill (like most seem to have) - why not stuck few scrubbers there and install maybe a small reflux condenser or have a fan blowing to the pipe. In practise that would get you higher ABV and thus get you more hearts.

          Slainte, Riku

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4, 2009
            According to the Compleat Distiller, if you have a metre column filled with scrubbers, and you control the temperature, you should achieve 90%abv without a reflux condenser.
            wal

            > No worries mate. But this actually leads to a question, if you have a vertical pipe in your potstill (like most seem to have) - why not stuck few scrubbers there and install maybe a small reflux condenser or have a fan blowing to the pipe. In practise that would get you higher ABV and thus get you more hearts.
            >
            > Slainte, Riku
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
            > >

            > > OOOPS,
            > >
            > > Sorry Riku, didn't mean it was wrong, just really ment to say - there
            > > aint no way I could distill it up to that 94-95% ABV with the little pot
            > > still I have... Just like ZB, I is just another one of them thar
            > > Southerner simple pot stiller too... [:)]
            > >
            > > Vino es Veritas,
            > >
            > > Jim aka Waldo. (but would love to try that there dram - or 2 or 3....)

          • gff_stwrt
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2009
              Hi, Wal and hello folks,

              I think I'll try that one day with my pot still. I have two pieces of two inch copper pipe that I use alternately as a column; one of (say) 2/3 of a metre and the other maybe 1 1/3 metre.
              I can join them with slip fittings so that would be at least 2 metres and I think there is more of that sized pipe...

              And I already have a couple of pounds of the good Amphora mesh.

              So when I start some sugar washes again instead of fooling around trying to get good fruit brandy......

              The Baker
              (No I was not drunk in my last post when I mis-spelled my 'nom de plume'.!) G.

              > According to the Compleat Distiller, if you have a metre column filled with scrubbers, and you control the temperature, you should achieve 90%abv without a reflux condenser.
              > wal
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > No worries mate. But this actually leads to a question, if you have a vertical pipe in your potstill (like most seem to have) - why not stuck few scrubbers there and install maybe a small reflux condenser or have a fan blowing to the pipe. In practise that would get you higher ABV and thus get you more hearts.
              > >
              > > Slainte, Riku
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > OOOPS,
              > > >
              > > > Sorry Riku, didn't mean it was wrong, just really ment to say - there
              > > > aint no way I could distill it up to that 94-95% ABV with the little pot
              > > > still I have... Just like ZB, I is just another one of them thar
              > > > Southerner simple pot stiller too... [:)]
              > > >
              > > > Vino es Veritas,
              > > >
              > > > Jim aka Waldo. (but would love to try that there dram - or 2 or 3....)

            • jeandenis308
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 5, 2009
                I can add to this that it does work, although it whas with a presure cooker and a cornflakes mash. the lid could hold 3 liters and the pipe sticked out about 3 inches, wich whas only 10 ore 12 inches tall and the lower part whas filled up to 4 inch with scrubbers.

                i could turn the heat so low that it just barely boiled and got results to 93 % with a 12% mash in it.

                Now, i dont think it would be the reflux that made it so high because there whas still a lot of flavor, but sooner the really slow boil.
                ( took me a whole day for just a bottle )
                the scrubbers helped pre cool the the steam and later on a'd put a little wind blower on top of it for a bit more reflux.
                It did work and had fine whiskey from it.

                but i now stepped up and got a new system.
                wich btw works almost the same.
                (if you can get your hand on the book The complete Distiller it will show the fractioning still wich we better know as a reflux still)

                so with very little heat and muchos patience it will work.
                but then later you want something more efficient cause a whole day heat on it will eventually cost you more the the worth of it.
                then better rerun it twice ore trippled

                Greets

                JD

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 5, 2009
                  Beaucoup Thanks Riku, Wal and JD,

                  Have a couple of feet of 1" copper in the basement will try it with
                  that. I tried the scrubbers in my 1/2" riser a year or so back and did
                  in fact get about a 10% or so ABV increase.

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim aka Waldo.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jeandenis308" <jeandenis308@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I can add to this that it does work, although it whas with a presure
                  cooker and a cornflakes mash. the lid could hold 3 liters and the pipe
                  sticked out about 3 inches, wich whas only 10 ore 12 inches tall and the
                  lower part whas filled up to 4 inch with scrubbers.

                  > i could turn the heat so low that it just barely boiled and got
                  results to 93 % with a 12% mash in it.

                  > Greets
                  >
                  > JD
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" abbababbaccc@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > No worries mate. But this actually leads to a question, if you have
                  a vertical pipe in your potstill (like most seem to have) - why not
                  stuck few scrubbers there and install maybe a small reflux condenser or
                  have a fan blowing to the pipe. In practise that would get you higher
                  ABV and thus get you more hearts.

                  > > Slainte, Riku
                • Robert Hubble
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 5, 2009
                    Jameson,

                    In the land of clear falling waters and majestic trees to the sky, my people have a wise old saying: "My ass!"

                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jamesonbeam1@...
                    Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:31:08 +0000
                    Subject: [Distillers] Re: Internal Reflux in a Pot Still - Need Help

                    Just like ZB, I is just another one of them thar Southerner  simple pot stiller too...:) Vino es Veritas,
                    Jim aka Waldo.  (but would love to try that there dram - or 2 or 3....)

                    Windows Liveā„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.