Re: No new messages

  • eric_yendall
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
      Riku

      Could you elaborate on the "pH trick". By this, do you mean the addition of bicarb to the spirit run? How does this change the heads collection (flushing)? Thanks.

      Eric

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
      > >

      > > > For whisky, a little heads is good, as is a little tails. When using a
      > > > detuned (minimal packing) reflux still, I start taste-testing after 20
      > > > minutes equilibration. I crack the needle valve a tad and taste a drop.
      > > > If it's "off", I rapidly flush that lot from the crossflow sump through
      > > > the LM drain (open the needle valve), then close it again to continue
      > > > total refluxing. Another 10 minutes, taste again, flush if necessary.
      > > > Repeat until satisfied. It usually takes no more than 3 flushes or
      > > > about 40-45 minutes before the taste is acceptable. Then I switch to
      > > > the VM side and run as hearts until the vapor temp shows 85°C, at
      > > > which point the product strength coming off is about 77% a/v. A switch
      > > > back to the LM side, and the rest is run out as tails.
      > >
      > > > Slainte!
      > > > regards Harry
      > > >

      > > I have been trying to get to this one for a week now. Why would this flushing method not work for a neutral run. Once the column is equalized the low boiling point stuff is at the top, correct? If the sump in the rig, Say the Cross Flow or a well made Offset head, holds 30-50ml, a quick purging a couple of times SHOULD get this stuff out of the rig faster. Currently for a neutral run I collect the first 200-300ml(or more) at the alarmingly slow rate of about that 300ml/hour. I get some really nice Spirit for the effort but with the above being said, Is it necessary?
      > >
      > > Mason
      > >

      > Yes, it is necessary due to the continuous formation of ethyl acetate unless you do the pH trick.
      >
      > Flushing for neutral spirits presents a problem of switching the column for zero reflux untill the LM reservoir fills. It can of course be fixed with added stabilization time but the problem now is that the LM reservoir has some nasties in it from that zero reflux period and they flow back to the column. If they have lower boiling point than ethanol they stay at the LM reservoir and at the top of the packing.
      >
      > I actually did some experimentation on the subject today (details in the ARC forum) and there are indeed quite a lot of variables in play when we talk about heads removal. So far it seems that one hour for neutral spirits is the limit, but perhaps that can be improved with further research.
      >
      > Slainte, Riku

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
        By changing the pH of the low wines from acid to basic you'll stop (actually reverse the process - thus you'll get a miniscule amount extra ethanol) the continuous formation of ethyl acetate. This in turn reduces the time you'll be collecting ethyl acetate tainted spirits from your still.

        Slainte, Riku