When life gives you lemons . . . .

  • mikejwoodnz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2009
      I had a recent J. Alfred Prufrock inspired discussion with "jamesonbeam1" concerning using whole lemons as opposed to lemon juice to invert sugar and would like to expand on my reasoning for using whole lemons with a sugar wash.
      I split a whole lemon and put both halves into the initial fermenter charge of water and sugar then heat the mixture to dissolve and invert the sugar - I then add the minerals and trace elements and add the required amount of oxygenated water then pitch the yeast. By leaving the lemon in it seems to organically and automatically adjust the ph level and provide nutrients for the developing yeast - after fermentation ceases I remove the lemon, quickly aerate the wash to assist with C02 dispersal and leave it to clear naturally for a day or two before racking it into 20 litre cubes to rest again before tipping it into the boiler. This always gives a clean and consistent end product.