Re: compost powered stripper

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2009
      Coool! Thanks for the extra information.

      > Well, I see you are having trouble with the concept since you seem to have trouble understanding it.
      >
      > With low temperature evaporation principle the best way is to circulate air. As no boiling happens the amount of air inside does not change (much). What we do is to heat up the air and thus saturate it with ethanol vapor (same things as saturate with water - i.e. higher humidity), then circulate it to a cooler place where ethanol gets condensed as the air cools down. The cooler air returns to the hot chamber and get heated up and saturated again and rises back to the condenser part.
      >
      > All this happens in a closed environment, although removing the condensate can be easily arranged. Then there's forced air induction which some say works well. I've done some experimentation and had poor results with that.
      >
      > But let's face it, a bucket (be it plastic or stainless) and a 2m piece of 100mm aluminium stretch pipe is extremely easy to set up. Just have some shade for the alupipe and you are good to go.
      >
      > Slainte, Riku
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@> wrote:
      > >
      > >As far a my comment about the amazing still. It was more about the concept behind it. I had actually envisioned a buried container with a finned pipe off of it for a air cooled condensor. I guess the double pails would work too but that might be less efficient if it is a hot day and the sun re condenses things.
      > > Cheers

    • mstehelin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 10, 2009
        Wow.
        That would work.
        And you would not have to completely bury the main "boiler", only about 75%. The cone would be more of a condenser and less of a boiler because the liquid would be hidden from direct sunlight.(in my humble opinion) A simple and elegant condenser. You could partially bury a 50 gallon (200 liter) barrel and have a take-off line to a holding jug. Come back in a month and see whats been produced.

        > Yes M,
        >
        > This is really a fantastic approach to stripping runs and free energy.
        > You should have posted this along with the June's thread - about solar
        > energy which mentioned "the Water Cone" that collects energy from the
        > sun. Check it out at: http://www.watercone.com/product.html
        > <http://www.watercone.com/product.html> Also read up on our
        > discussions in the Re: Power... Solar Primary Distillation
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/45328> thread from
        > May and last month. See Msg:
        >
        > Incorporating the 2 ideas would be a great synergistic idea. Assuming
        > your compost pile is in sunlight, your idea along with either Riku's
        > design or the Water Cone design, (even the Amazing still design - if its
        > clear enough) could produce heat from not only the sun on top, but from
        > your compost heap on the Bottom. (dont know abou the air-cooled
        > condenser though - might just want to stick to the evaporation
        > collection option)..
        >
        > What a great synergistically free energy supply for low ABV stripping
        > runs!!!
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        >
        > Jim aka Waldo.
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tykjaw" <tykjaw@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Apart from the obvious comments you will recieve for mentioning the
        > amazing still, this has got to be the most innovative power source I
        > have come across lol ... heat is heat, should work
        > >
        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" mstehelin@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello all,
        > > > I have a lot of compost. A couple of cubic metres at least. I was
        > checking the temperature the other day and it is 65 C (150 F). Thats
        > pretty hot. I think it would be hot enough to distill like the Amazing
        > still does. Low temperature over a extended period of time. If you used
        > a air cooled condesor it would work. (I think). What do you think?
        > > > Cheers

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 10, 2009

          You got it M :) - what a simple, elegant soulution to  free energy source(s)  for a Stripping still - you might want to patent it LOL.   Really try it out and let us know.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.