RE: [Distillers] Re: Thumper

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jamesonbeam1@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 00:44:26 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Thumper

      Yahoo! Groups
      Small Business Group
      Ask questions,
      share experiences
      .

    • treakle100
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2009
        Hello James

        That's a nice little set up you have there, I know other people use Glass for their thumpers, with no trouble,or I haven't heard anybody say that they have, I don't think that I will be using glass again, I think I will go with your Idea of the paint tin, I think they are paint Mixing containers, I will have to have alook around see whats out there.
        Thanks

        > Hello Treakle,
        >
        > Yes, glass is pretty fragile when used in distilling. I've played with
        > thumpers, but was put off by the back pressures generated. However,
        > they are a good idea since they add an additional theoretical plate to
        > your pot still and can save an additional run. These may also be used
        > to put your flavorings in for gins or flavored rums, etc.
        >
        > Instead of glass, you can try using a small stock pot, or even a small
        > SS paint can (new of course). Heres a pict of a metal thumper:
        >
        > Thumper/Doubler - 10 L (21/2gal) paint container, with rubber grommets
        > for copper tubing.
        >
        > Some good info is in Tony's Homedistiller site at:
        > http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#thumper
        > <http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#thumper> Vino es Veritas, Jim
        > aka Waldo. --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry
        > <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I Have a pot still running with a Thumper,the thumper was made of
        > Glass, but disaster struck other day, when I went out to the shed I
        > found the thumper jar/container was broken, cracked in several places,I
        > wasn't running the still, I just had a mix of cleaning fluid I made up,
        > couple liters of Vinegar and lemon juice, I don't know why it broke, all
        > I can think of is the temperature in my shed, outside it was 85 degrees
        > 'fahrenheit' that day, in my shed would of been quite a bit Higher, I
        > don't really know what happened, the lid was on loosely no pressure at
        > all in the jar,
        > > So now I need to decide if it's worth using a thumper at all, does it
        > make that much difference not running one, any thoughts on this would be
        > appreciated, I know it get you a better concentration of Alcohol on a
        > run, I dont know what to decide really.
        > >
        > > Thanks

      • treakle100
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2009
          Hello Tykjaw

          Thanks for the Reply,

          I am quite experienced in column distillation (you can check out my old column still if you like, in photos under lee's copper still, second page in) but I do not have much experience with pot stills and the use of thumpers, column stills IMO is not the way to do pot still spirits, like Brandy whisky or say heavy rum, proper rum that is, I asked for the advice regarding using thumpers or not, because on the HD forum there are experienced distillers on there that don't use thumpers on their pot stills, so thought I would gauge opinions on here, I have decided I will use a thumper, but definitely not Glass, no, recon too dangerous.
          Thanks

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tykjaw" <tykjaw@...> wrote:

          > Horses for courses, yes they are worth using or else people wouldn't use them, it's a case of what suits your needs the best, they increase the strength of the output but if you are chasing ultimate purity then you have to be looking at reflux
          >
          > Thumpers are also known as doublers, the overall effect on a run is effectively the same as starting with a wash of double the strength
          >
          > There is an excellent program for download on homedistiller.org called thumper.xls by Tony Ackland whereby you can vary the size of the thumper and strength of the wash and thumper content and see the effect on output
          >
          > A short simple column, uninsulated with a few scrubbers for packing will also give the same effect with less hassle, 300mm or so with 2 or 3 scrubbers is going to be somewhere in the ball park of a thumper, experiment
          >

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I Have a pot still running with a Thumper,the thumper was made of Glass, but disaster struck other day, when I went out to the shed I found the thumper jar/container was broken, cracked in several places,I wasn't running the still, I just had a mix of cleaning fluid I made up, couple liters of Vinegar and lemon juice, I don't know why it broke, all I can think of is the temperature in my shed, outside it was 85 degrees 'fahrenheit' that day, in my shed would of been quite a bit Higher, I don't really know what happened, the lid was on loosely no pressure at all in the jar,
          > > So now I need to decide if it's worth using a thumper at all, does it make that much difference not running one, any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I know it get you a better concentration of Alcohol on a run, I dont know what to decide really.
          > >
          > > Thanks

          > > Access Yahoo!7 Mail on your mobile. Anytime. Anywhere.
          > > Show me how: http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mail

        • tykjaw
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2009
            hi treakle

            well if you are after fuller flavours then pot still with no thumper would be my preference also, its less messing and you are not going to lose any flavour

            cheers
            tyk