Thumper

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 4, 2009

      Thumper

      Saturday, 4 July, 2009 4:43 PM
      From:
      "treakle100" <leehawkins44@...>
      To:
      Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Hello,

      I Have a pot still running with a Thumper,the thumper was made of Glass, but disaster struck other day, when I went out to the shed I found the thumper jar/container was broken, cracked in several places,I wasn't running the still, I just had a mix of cleaning fluid I made up, couple liters of Vinegar and lemon juice, I don't know why it broke, all I can think of is the temperature in my shed, outside it was 85 degrees 'fahrenheit' that day, in my shed would of been quite a bit Higher, I don't really know what happened, the lid was on loosely no pressure at all in the jar,
      So now I need to decide if it's worth using a thumper at all, does it make that much difference not running one, any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I know it get you a better concentration of Alcohol on a run, I dont know what to decide really.

      Thanks

      Access Yahoo!7 Mail on your mobile. Anytime. Anywhere. Show me how.
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009

        Hello Treakle,

        Yes, glass is pretty fragile when used in distilling.  I've played with thumpers, but was put off by the back pressures generated.  However, they are a good idea since they add an additional theoretical plate to your pot still and can save an additional run.  These may also be used to put your flavorings in for gins or flavored rums, etc.

        Instead of glass, you can try using a small stock pot, or even a small SS paint can (new of course).  Heres a pict of a metal thumper:

        Thumper/Doubler - 10 L (21/2gal) paint container, with rubber grommets for copper tubing.

        Some good info is  in Tony's Homedistiller site at: http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#thumper

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I Have a pot still running with a Thumper,the thumper was made of Glass, but disaster struck other day, when I went out to the shed I found the thumper jar/container was broken, cracked in several places,I wasn't running the still, I just had a mix of cleaning fluid I made up, couple liters of Vinegar and lemon juice, I don't know why it broke, all I can think of is the temperature in my shed, outside it was 85 degrees 'fahrenheit' that day, in my shed would of been quite a bit Higher, I don't really know what happened, the lid was on loosely no pressure at all in the jar,
        > So now I need to decide if it's worth using a thumper at all, does it make that much difference not running one, any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I know it get you a better concentration of Alcohol on a run, I dont know what to decide really.
        >
        > Thanks
      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009
          Jim,

          I don't think I've ever seen a stainless paint can. How does one come by one?

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: jamesonbeam1@...
          Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 22:33:15 +0000
          Subject: [Distillers] Re: Thumper

          Hello Treakle,
          Yes, glass is pretty fragile when used in distilling.  I've played with thumpers, but was put off by the back pressures generated.  However, they are a good idea since they add an additional theoretical plate to your pot still and can save an additional run.  These may also be used to put your flavorings in for gins or flavored rums, etc.
          Instead of glass, you can try using a small stock pot, or even a small SS paint can (new of course).  Heres a pict of a metal thumper.
          -----snip------

          Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009

            Hey ZB,

            You can get them in speciality paint stores or many places on the internet - heres one: http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/main/metal_containers.html

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            The Cary Company - Packaging & Equipment DivisionHOMEPRODUCTSORDERSAMPLESPRICINGContact Us

            View Plastic ContainersMetal ContainersView Glass JarsDrums & IBC'sView Filtration Products
            View Tools & EquipmentCorrugated Cartons & Boxes
            Spill Control & ContainmentFacility Supplies
            Shipping Supplies

            Metal Containers

            Contact Info
            The Cary Company
            PO Box 403
            1195 W. Fullerton Ave
            Addison, IL 60101
            Ph#630-376-2400
            Fx#630-376-2401

            UN1A1/Y2.4/300

            5 Gal TH Steel Pail
            w/ 2" & 3/4" Drum Bungs

            UN1A1/Y2.4/300
            Part# 26W83B

            Paint Can Closer

            Part#
            30WPCC

            $250.00 each

            - Closes *1/2 pint to 1 gallon size paint cans

            *This tool does not close BWAY "Tall" 1/2 pint paint cans

            Check This Out

            Home - Products - Order - Samples - Pricing - Contact Us - Chemical Division - Terms & Conditions

            The Cary Company - 1195 W. Fullerton Ave. Addison, IL 60101

            > Jim,
            >
            > I don't think I've ever seen a stainless paint can. How does one come by one?
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          • tykjaw
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009
              Horses for courses, yes they are worth using or else people wouldn't use them, it's a case of what suits your needs the best, they increase the strength of the output but if you are chasing ultimate purity then you have to be looking at reflux

              Thumpers are also known as doublers, the overall effect on a run is effectively the same as starting with a wash of double the strength

              There is an excellent program for download on homedistiller.org called thumper.xls by Tony Ackland whereby you can vary the size of the thumper and strength of the wash and thumper content and see the effect on output

              A short simple column, uninsulated with a few scrubbers for packing will also give the same effect with less hassle, 300mm or so with 2 or 3 scrubbers is going to be somewhere in the ball park of a thumper, experiment

              > Hello,
              >
              > I Have a pot still running with a Thumper,the thumper was made of Glass, but disaster struck other day, when I went out to the shed I found the thumper jar/container was broken, cracked in several places,I wasn't running the still, I just had a mix of cleaning fluid I made up, couple liters of Vinegar and lemon juice, I don't know why it broke, all I can think of is the temperature in my shed, outside it was 85 degrees 'fahrenheit' that day, in my shed would of been quite a bit Higher, I don't really know what happened, the lid was on loosely no pressure at all in the jar,
              > So now I need to decide if it's worth using a thumper at all, does it make that much difference not running one, any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I know it get you a better concentration of Alcohol on a run, I dont know what to decide really.
              >
              > Thanks

              > Access Yahoo!7 Mail on your mobile. Anytime. Anywhere.
              > Show me how: http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mail

            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 5, 2009
                Thanks a bunch, Jim

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: jamesonbeam1@...
                Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 00:44:26 +0000

                Hey ZB,
                You can get them in speciality paint stores or many places on the internet - heres one: http://www.thecaryc ompany.com/ containers/ main/metal_ containers. html
                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim aka Waldo.

                Ads on Yahoo!
                Learn more now.
                Reach customers
                searching for you.
                Biz Resources
                Y! Small Business
                Articles, tools,
                forms, and more.
                Yahoo! Groups
                Small Business Group
                Ask questions,
                share experiences
                .

              • treakle100
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2009
                  Hello James

                  That's a nice little set up you have there, I know other people use Glass for their thumpers, with no trouble,or I haven't heard anybody say that they have, I don't think that I will be using glass again, I think I will go with your Idea of the paint tin, I think they are paint Mixing containers, I will have to have alook around see whats out there.
                  Thanks

                  > Hello Treakle,
                  >
                  > Yes, glass is pretty fragile when used in distilling. I've played with
                  > thumpers, but was put off by the back pressures generated. However,
                  > they are a good idea since they add an additional theoretical plate to
                  > your pot still and can save an additional run. These may also be used
                  > to put your flavorings in for gins or flavored rums, etc.
                  >
                  > Instead of glass, you can try using a small stock pot, or even a small
                  > SS paint can (new of course). Heres a pict of a metal thumper:
                  >
                  > Thumper/Doubler - 10 L (21/2gal) paint container, with rubber grommets
                  > for copper tubing.
                  >
                  > Some good info is in Tony's Homedistiller site at:
                  > http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#thumper
                  > <http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm#thumper> Vino es Veritas, Jim
                  > aka Waldo. --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry
                  > <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > I Have a pot still running with a Thumper,the thumper was made of
                  > Glass, but disaster struck other day, when I went out to the shed I
                  > found the thumper jar/container was broken, cracked in several places,I
                  > wasn't running the still, I just had a mix of cleaning fluid I made up,
                  > couple liters of Vinegar and lemon juice, I don't know why it broke, all
                  > I can think of is the temperature in my shed, outside it was 85 degrees
                  > 'fahrenheit' that day, in my shed would of been quite a bit Higher, I
                  > don't really know what happened, the lid was on loosely no pressure at
                  > all in the jar,
                  > > So now I need to decide if it's worth using a thumper at all, does it
                  > make that much difference not running one, any thoughts on this would be
                  > appreciated, I know it get you a better concentration of Alcohol on a
                  > run, I dont know what to decide really.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks

                • treakle100
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2009
                    Hello Tykjaw

                    Thanks for the Reply,

                    I am quite experienced in column distillation (you can check out my old column still if you like, in photos under lee's copper still, second page in) but I do not have much experience with pot stills and the use of thumpers, column stills IMO is not the way to do pot still spirits, like Brandy whisky or say heavy rum, proper rum that is, I asked for the advice regarding using thumpers or not, because on the HD forum there are experienced distillers on there that don't use thumpers on their pot stills, so thought I would gauge opinions on here, I have decided I will use a thumper, but definitely not Glass, no, recon too dangerous.
                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2009
                      hi treakle

                      well if you are after fuller flavours then pot still with no thumper would be my preference also, its less messing and you are not going to lose any flavour

                      cheers
                      tyk