Re: Simplified MUM with rolled oats question

  • bordermeister
    Message 1 of 77 , Jun 23, 2009
      Hi guys,
      I was about to put on a couple of MUM washes and was after some feedback as to how this wash turned out.

      I like the sound of leaving out the plant food...

      Any feedback on fermentation, clearing, taste etc....

      Many Thanks
      Mark

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      Posted this to new_distiller but I think the discussion really belongs
      to this forum:

      > Mason, based on my latest sour mash experiments I think we could
      > simplify the MUM a bit:
      >
      > 25 liters total volume
      > pH 6 water, add 10 grams of citric acid to pH 7 water or squeeze one
      > lemon
      > 5kg sugar
      > 1kg of gelatinized (rolled/boiled) grains - the type you use for
      > porridge
      > 1-2 packets baker's yeast
      >
      > Comments, or is this RUM (Riku's Universal Mash) now ;)
      >
      > Slainte, Riku

      <SNIP>

      Rolled oats it will be. Quaker oats are very easy to get and pretty
      cheap too.
      http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/old-fashioned-oats.aspx
      Give me a guideline on the amount of grain. I will be going for
      Neutral with this and the Criteria should stay the same as the MUM
      wash. Basic sugar wash. The grains are providing the nutrients
      instead of the plant food.
      So basically i am replacing the Plant food with Oats and the tomato
      paste with fresh lemon juice. PH probably plays more of a role here
      than we realize.
      For the second run I might try boiling a quart of the trub and so on
      through a couple more iterations. I like the idea of being able to
      sour mash this but it's got to be relatively fast in the ferment
      bucket. 5 days max. 10% potential for the wash is a good number for
      me. I rarely go over that anyway.
      Just need to figure how much grain to get the nutrients needed.
      Oh. I will plan on using 2 gals of Backset per batch also. After the
      first sweet mash of course.

      Mason
    • bordermeister
      Message 77 of 77 , Jun 23, 2009