New PDA-1

  • canadianguy236
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5 12:24 PM
      Hi group
      I just received my PDA-1 and would like to get started. I have a question that you guys my be able to help me with. Can I/should I use a off the shelf beer making kit? I would just like to get my feet wet and do some experimenting for the first couple of runs. It only costs a few bucks so I thought this might be a good way to start. Any help would be great.

      Thanks,

      Mark
    • Rasputin Paracelsus
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5 2:13 PM
        Hi Mark,

        Check out Mason's MUM wash
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/31543). It is very
        cheap and produces excellent results much more rapidly than a beer kit
        would (we're talking 4 day fermentations), on top of the fact that beer
        worts contain things (like hops) that you don't really need/want in most
        cases; also I have found that trying to distill a beer wort can result
        in foaming going up the column if you're not careful, leading to a big
        mess...

        Best

        canadianguy236 wrote:
        > Hi group
        > I just received my PDA-1 and would like to get started. I have a question that you guys my be able to help me with. Can I/should I use a off the shelf beer making kit? I would just like to get my feet wet and do some experimenting for the first couple of runs. It only costs a few bucks so I thought this might be a good way to start. Any help would be great.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Mark
      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5 3:08 PM
          Mark, making the assumption that you will run your PDA-1 as a reflux still, that also makes the assumption you will be making vodka. If those assumptions are true, you can't go wrong with Mason's MUM wash, quick and made with easily found ingredients. It also has very clean flavor.

          If you want to run that PDA-1 as a potstill, a beer kit can be very instructive, if you can stand that much instruction. If you leave out the hops and the priming (carbonating) you can technically get a whiskey from that wash, but because most beers are around 4-6%, you won't get much of it. Because whiskey washes are notoriously low in alcohol (on purpose, for flavor) you have to go through a *mess* of beer to get whiskey. That implies lots of wash, lots of beer-stripping, and some spirit runs, all of which you need to plan in advance.

          If you really want instant gratification from a beer, maybe you could try one of the higher-abv "malt liquors" as a wash.

          A couple of boxes of cheapest wine would give you a better experience (and enough brandy to share with your friends).

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: hawklinemfg@...
          Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 19:24:54 +0000
          Subject: [Distillers] New PDA-1

          Hi group
          I just received my PDA-1 and would like to get started. I have a question that you guys my be able to help me with. Can I/should I use a off the shelf beer making kit? I would just like to get my feet wet and do some experimenting for the first couple of runs. It only costs a few bucks so I thought this might be a good way to start. Any help would be great.

          Thanks,

          Mark

          Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.
        • Rasputin Paracelsus
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5 8:07 PM
            Z-Bob,

            I counseled against beer kits because the one's I've seen are
            pre-hopped. Of course, it could be different elsewhere... :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6 8:47 AM
              Good point Rasputin,

              I've only made a couple kits (I now brew allgrain), given a bunch more for Christmas and birthday gifts,  but they were all made up locally by the same LHBS, all with separate hops. A pretty good product, but a limited sample.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              > From: rasputin@...
              > Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 23:07:10 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [Distillers] New PDA-1
              >
              > Z-Bob,
              >
              > I counseled against beer kits because the one's I've seen are
              > pre-hopped. Of course, it could be different elsewhere... :)

              > Robert Hubble wrote:

              -----snip-----

            • canadianguy236
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18 8:29 PM

                > Mark, making the assumption that you will run your PDA-1 as a reflux still, that also makes the assumption you will be making vodka. If those assumptions are true, you can't go wrong with Mason's MUM wash, quick and made with easily found ingredients. It also has very clean flavor.
                >

                > Hi Group
                Thanks for the help. I decided to go with a Wheat Germ, sugar, recipe, I have it sitting in a carboy and ready to filter into my boiler. I have another question I hope/know you could help me with.
                I really want to try and make a whiskey, I bought a couple of oak barrels, a 5-liter and a 10-liter. Can I make a whiskey with this wash and flavor it in the oak barrels? And should I run the PDA-1 as a pot still? or should I run it with the column extension?

                Thanks,

                Mark

                > Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage.
                > http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_SD_25GB_062009

              • allmark.john
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 24, 2012
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:

                  > Hi group
                  > I just received my PDA-1 and would like to get started. I have a question that you guys my be able to help me with. Can I/should I use a off the shelf beer making kit? I would just like to get my feet wet and do some experimenting for the first couple of runs. It only costs a few bucks so I thought this might be a good way to start. Any help would be great.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Mark

                  Hi would you please send me some pics,of the in side. Of your still head, I would like to buy one but only if is different to the one I have. Thank you John