Re: Power... Solar Primary Distillation

  • jcreighton2001
    Message 1 of 73 , Jun 1, 2009

      > Welp Baker,
      >
      > Yes, you could just take a blow torch and make a hole in the bottom of
      > the carboy, then heat the bottom up and turn that into your collector.
      > But i would NOT use a wooden dowel since the temps your working with are
      > way above the combustion point of wood [;)] (unless you planning on
      > making some charred oak chips at the same time).... A metal rod would
      > work much better (again as stated in the last posting, use goggles and
      > insulated work gloves).
      >
      > Then you would need to get a metal pot or container that the carboy can
      > fit on ans sealed to hold the fermentation you are distilling. But yes,
      > it would save cutting the carboy - and you could then just use a blow
      > torch. See Below.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      >
      > Jim aka Waldo.

      I Googled "Watercone" and found some discussion of alternative ways to distill water using this principle. To make a long story short, it occurred to me that one could take a glass demi-john/carboy like http://homebrewheaven.com/54l-1425-gallon-demi-john-glass-carboy.htm and heat the bottom section until soft, squeeze part of the lower part until the sides are vertical and then push down on the top so that a fold is formed; so the waist hangs out and down a bit to form a trough inside. A glass drain tube could be fitted to the trough. No cutting, just forming. All in one piece.

      Alternatively, a glass blower could make one of these from scratch to any shape you like (within reason) from a blob of glass. It's just a glass vase with a droopy waist.

      Cheers, Jim
      Message 73 of 73 , Jun 4, 2009

        It all seem like a hellish waste of a good glass carboy to me.  If you wanna get things REALLY cookin', why not adapt something like this?...

        solar-cooker
        http://tinyurl.com/qmyov4

        solar-cooker-2.jpg