nutrizima enzymes

  • loulenz2002
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
      If anybody can read spanish, what do you think about this pill for enzymes. http://www.farmaciasahumada.cl/fasaonline/fasa/MFT/PRODUCTO/P313.HTM I'm in Chile, S.A. and i'm still waiting for my enzymes to come in from up north, so i'm trying to find something locally. Thanks,
      Lou
    • mstehelin
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
        It says that it is a anti-flatulent and anti-heart burn drug. It says that the enzymes break down fat, carbohydrates and proteins to aid in digestion. Sounds like multi-substance enzyme.
        Cheers

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loulenz2002" <loulenz2002@...> wrote:

        > If anybody can read spanish, what do you think about this pill for enzymes. http://www.farmaciasahumada.cl/fasaonline/fasa/MFT/PRODUCTO/P313.HTM I'm in Chile, S.A. and i'm still waiting for my enzymes to come in from up north, so i'm trying to find something locally. Thanks,
        > Lou

      • Louis Lenz
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
          Here's more info:
          http://www.infomedical.cl/productos_detalles.asp?idq=2040
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009

            Hi Lou,

            If you tell us what your using these enzymes for and what you trying to make, it might help.

            Your talking about pills for pancreatic enzymes - the major one being Pancreatin = (trade names Creon (Solvay), Nutrizym (Merck), Pancrease HL (Janssen-Cilag) and Pancrex (Paines & Byrne)) and is a mixture of several digestive enzymes produced by the exocrine cells of the pancreas.

            Pancreatin does have amylase enzymes in it which do break down the starches from grains into disaaccarides:

             "Pancreatin contains the pancreatic enzymes trypsin, amylase, and lipase. - The trypsin found in pancreatin works to hydrolyze proteins into oligopeptides; amylase hydrolyzes starches into oligosaccharides and the disaccharide maltose; and lipase hydrolyzes triglycerides into fatty acids and glycerols."  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatin  - All of these are benificial to yeast budding and generation.

            A full English translation of your links can be done through Google or usually on the top toolbar that lets you translate to English.

            Another alternative pill you might be able to buy for breaking down starches is called "Beano" - sold up here in all pharmacies in US which contains the alpha-galactosidase enzyme and alpha-d-galactosidase which also breaks down starch chains into disaccriades sugars that yeast can consume...

            As with any enzymes, you dont want to boil them with your mash  or else the they will lose their potency.  usually simmering in a mash at 150F to no more then 170F for 90 minutes or so, will cause the conversions - same way as mashing with malted barley.  See:  http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm#mashing

            But please let us know what your trying to make.  Would be very helpful.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loulenz2002" <loulenz2002@...> wrote:

            > If anybody can read spanish, what do you think about this pill for enzymes. http://www.farmaciasahumada.cl/fasaonline/fasa/MFT/PRODUCTO/P313.HTM I'm in Chile, S.A. and i'm still waiting for my enzymes to come in from up north, so i'm trying to find something locally. Thanks,
            > Lou

          • burrows206
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009

              Hi guys,
              Just a side note the translated meaning of words into English does not always necessarily have the same meaning as the English dictionary. Like the "Dandy" and the "Beano" were in the 50's 60's 70's and 80's, a set of very popular pre-teens comics in the UK, which enjoyed a lot of dog eared reading in the British armed forces overseas when we could get a hold of them.
              But a "Beano" in N. Ireland is a silly b*llox with an I.Q. marginally better than a pilchard (a small fish, a member of the herring family). Similar to being called a moron (an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody's intelligence)
              Bet Google Translate doesn't tell you that though? So take Google Translate as a very rough translation and do a lot of reading between the lines
              Geoff

            • rick wells
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                hi all new guy here:
                my name is rick well the other day i bought a old copper still so i have doing a lot of reading here on the net on making shine and other drinks.i think  i have it worked out how it all works. i was a little stumped with a thump keg but now i also got that.ok today i'm going to kinda put it all together in my garage.if someone could kinda walk me through the whole thing i would feel a lot better as to what i was doing.as to there was a few things i did not understand.a couple questions i have is is the thump keg air tight?another is i read someware about poring off the first little bit of the run?and one more was i understand the part of water boiling at one temp and alc at another would it be wise for me to install a thomenter into my boiler to asure right temp.?agaim i'm new to this i did try beer at one time and still have my kit from that venture.
                thanks in advance rick

                Richard J LaValley

> [...]

                > the they will lose their potency. usually simmering in a mash at 150F
                > to no more then 170F for 90 minutes or so, will cause the conversions -
                > same way as mashing with malted barley. See:
                > http://homedistille r.org/wash- grain.htm# mashing
                > <http://homedistille r.org/wash- grain.htm# mashing>
                >
                > But please let us know what your trying to make. Would be very helpful.
                >
                > Vino es Veritas,
                >
                > Jim aka Waldo.
                >

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "loulenz2002" <loulenz2002@ >
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > If anybody can read spanish, what do you think about this pill for
                > enzymes.
                > http://www.farmacia sahumada. cl/fasaonline/ fasa/MFT/ PRODUCTO/ P313.HTM I'm
                > in Chile, S.A. and i'm still waiting for my enzymes to come in from up
                > north, so i'm trying to find something locally. Thanks,

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, rick wells <rick4betty@...> wrote:

                  > hi all new guy here:
                  > my name is rick well the other day i bought a old copper still so i have doing a lot of reading here on the net on making shine and other drinks.i think� i have it worked out how it all works. i was a little stumped with a thump keg but now i also got that.ok today i'm going to kinda put it all together in my garage.if someone could kinda walk me through the whole thing i would feel a lot better as to what i was doing.as to there was a few things i did not understand.a couple questions i have is is the thump keg air tight?another is i read someware about poring off the first little bit of the run?and one more was i understand the part of water boiling at one temp and alc at another would it be wise for me to install a thomenter into my boiler to asure right temp.?agaim i'm new to this i did try beer at one time and still have my kit from that venture.
                  > thanks in advance rick
                  >
                  > Richard J LaValley

                  Hello Rick,
                  I am going to post this over at the New Distillers Group.
                  You will need to join that group also.
                  This is the Advanced Group and is geared more toward the technology
                  advancement side of the Hobby.
                  We are glad to have you and welcome to the Black arts.
                  Also be careful using your real name. Hobby distilling is illegal in all but a few places in the world. Very Illegal here in the US.

                  Mason Jar Dixon (not my real name)
                  Moderator
                • jamesonbeam1
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009

                    Hey Rick,

                    Welcome aboard.  Nice buy - and old copper still.  Please let us know what ya paid for it and how big - very curious.  The first thing I would do is clean the thing out.  Take some vinegar solution and rinse it all very well.  Then take some steel wool / scrubbers and get it nice and shiny.

                    The next thing is to really do a vinegar run through it, then run  water at temperature to get any contaminates out of the copper and also check for leaks.  The best way is to bring it up to temp and stick a wet rag into the output so just a bit of pressure builds up - not too much.  You then take a spray bottle filled with a water/dish liquid soap solution and spray around any connections or seals and see if any bubbles develop.  These need to be sealed - either by soldering, brazing or patching / sealing with silicone, teflon tape,  etc.  - many ways to do this.

                    Harry Jackson is the Owner along with myself, Mason, Trid, Riku and Ken Mc. who are the Moderators of both sites.  We all are (in addition the the other great group of members here)  willing to help you out.  Please let us know what your preferences are and what you would like to start off making - sure we can give some good advice.

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim aka Waldo.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, rick wells rick4betty@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > hi all new guy here:
                    > > my name is rick well the other day i bought a old copper still so i have doing a lot of reading here on the net on making shine and other drinks.i think� i have it worked out how it all works. i was a little stumped with a thump keg but now i also got that.ok today i'm going to kinda put it all together in my garage.if someone could kinda walk me through the whole thing i would feel a lot better as to what i was doing.as to there was a few things i did not understand.a couple questions i have is is the thump keg air tight?another is i read someware about poring off the first little bit of the run?and one more was i understand the part of water boiling at one temp and alc at another would it be wise for me to install a thomenter into my boiler to asure right temp.?agaim i'm new to this i did try beer at one time and still have my kit from that venture.
                    > > thanks in advance rick
                    > >
                    > > Richard J LaValley
                    >

                    > Hello Rick,
                    > I am going to post this over at the New Distillers Group.
                    > You will need to join that group also.
                    > This is the Advanced Group and is geared more toward the technology
                    > advancement side of the Hobby.
                    > We are glad to have you and welcome to the Black arts.
                    > Also be careful using your real name. Hobby distilling is illegal in all but a few places in the world. Very Illegal here in the US.
                    >
                    > Mason Jar Dixon (not my real name)
                    > Moderator

                  • Louis Lenz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                      i was hoping to use the pills as my enzymes for conversion, for a corn whiskey mash.  If these would work what kind of quantity would i use for a 5gal. mash with 4.5kgs of flaked corn.  Lou

                      Also as Mason said, come join us at New Distillers - http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/

                    • bob@4agoodauction.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009

                        Any good septic tank cleaner will do the job for you. RidX is one brand name that comes to mind but there are many others on the internet. Will breakdown; cellulose, fats/lipids, carbos and the rest.

                        Bob

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Louis Lenz <loulenz2002@...> wrote:

                          > i was hoping to use the pills as my enzymes for conversion, for a corn whiskey mash.  If these would work what kind of quantity would i use for a 5gal. mash with 4.5kgs of flaked corn.  Lou

                          That's a hard, and very expensive, way to do conversions )if it even works). Bite the bullet and order your enzymes online. http://www.milehidistilling.com/Alpha_Amylase_Enzyme_1_Pound_p/13215.htm

                          BA-100 and GA-100 enzymes are the exact same enzymes used by both the beverage alcohol and fuel alcohol industries. These are very concentrated and just 1/10 pound of each of these enzymes will break down 100 pounds of grain or starch into fermentable glucose.

                          For 30 bucks + shipping you'll have 2 pounds of powder, enough for 1,000# grain.

                        • Rasputin Paracelsus
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                            Hello

                            A while back I asked a question about setting up a VM on a 3" column
                            rather than 2". There was some variance in opinion with regards to the
                            constriction of the vapour for turbulence purposes. (I note this here
                            only for the record, it's not really the focus of my question this time
                            around.)

                            Supposing that problem were to be solved in an acceptable fashion--I am
                            wondering about the Cross-flow condenser itself. Given that the
                            cross-sectional increase is 2.25:1 (3-squared over 2-squared)

                            * would I then want 2.25 times as much surface area in terms of
                            coolant pipes?
                            * if so, perhaps most simply implemented by using 2.25 times more
                            pipes of the same size (smaller pipes yield greater surface area
                            per volume than larger ones) and
                            * presumably this would mean a correponding increase in pump power...

                            (I assume I can sort out the question of the liebig adjustment without
                            too much problem using the handy calculator on the homedistiller site...)

                            Thanks

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

                              > Hello
                              >
                              > A while back I asked a question about setting up a VM on a 3" column
                              > rather than 2". There was some variance in opinion with regards to the
                              > constriction of the vapour for turbulence purposes. (I note this here
                              > only for the record, it's not really the focus of my question this time
                              > around.)
                              >
                              > Supposing that problem were to be solved in an acceptable fashion--I am
                              > wondering about the Cross-flow condenser itself. Given that the
                              > cross-sectional increase is 2.25:1 (3-squared over 2-squared)
                              >
                              >     * would I then want 2.25 times as much surface area in terms of
                              >       coolant pipes?
                              >     * if so, perhaps most simply implemented by using 2.25 times more
                              >       pipes of the same size (smaller pipes yield greater surface area
                              >       per volume than larger ones) and
                              >     * presumably this would mean a correponding increase in pump power...
                              >
                              > (I assume I can sort out the question of the liebig adjustment without
                              > too much problem using the handy calculator on the homedistiller site...)
                              >
                              > Thanks

                              There's a lot of "fudge factor" built in to a 2" crossflow.  Increasing the coolant flow volume is the easiest way of removing heat and ramping up performance of any existing condenser.  Because there is little restriction/resistance in the crossflow's multi-tube coolant arrangement (parallel flow), you can increase the coolant flow considerably to suit the amount of vapor being fed in.

                               That's a decided advantage over coils, which must be designed to suit the particular rig's vapor capacity.  Coolant flow in coils has limited adjustability due to high friction (requires high-pressure pumping).

                              It's not unusual to have coolant flows of 6+ litres per minute in a 2" crossflow.
                              However, if for some reason you don't want to up the coolant flow, and you want to design a larger one specifically for your volume & velocity of vapour flow, then you could start by studying the following basic math and parameters.  It ain't as simple as people think.

                            • Rasputin Paracelsus
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                Hi Harry,

                                Quick and brief responses inline.

                                Harry wrote:
                                > There's a lot of "fudge factor" built in to a 2" crossflow.
                                > Increasing the coolant flow volume is the easiest way of removing heat
                                > and ramping up performance of any existing condenser. Because there
                                > is little restriction/resistance in the crossflow's multi-tube coolant
                                > arrangement (parallel flow), you can increase the coolant flow
                                > considerably to suit the amount of vapor being fed in.
                                Yes, I had consdiered this idea as well, as it was clear to me that in
                                the Cross-flow the resistance was pretty low, comparatively speaking.

                                > It's not unusual to have coolant flows of 6+ litres per minute in a 2"
                                > crossflow.

                                I seem to recall that was a standard figure in your design...

                                > However, if for some reason you don't want to up the coolant flow, and
                                > you want to design a larger one specifically for your volume &
                                > velocity of vapour flow, then you could start by studying the
                                > following basic math and parameters. It ain't as simple as people think.

                                That, I know from all our past interchanges--which is why I asked the
                                question. I'll be happy to study these equations somewhat (I started out
                                in astrophysics but ultimately ended up in computer science... and that
                                was 30 years ago almost; so I'll get some of it at least). But sounds
                                like maybe the bigger condenser may not be necessary, so long as I
                                increase the flow...

                                That's helpful in itself. Thanks

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:
                                  I'll be happy to study these equations somewhat (I started out
                                  > in astrophysics but ultimately ended up in computer science... and that
                                  > was 30 years ago almost; so I'll get some of it at least). But sounds
                                  > like maybe the bigger condenser may not be necessary, so long as I
                                  > increase the flow...
                                  >
                                  > That's helpful in itself. Thanks

                                  You're most welcome.
                                  I could have just said "up the flow rate", but some people wouldn't have accepted that or understood why. It happens on occasion.

                                • gff_stwrt
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                                    Hi, Rasputin,

                                    A couple of thoughts from someone with no expertise at all in this.

                                    If you're not sure it will have enough capacity, make the tubes a bit longer. So long as the maximum water flow is not too small (small diameter of the tubes/low capacity of the pump) you will have the benefit of increased area of cooling surfaces, WITH NO EXTRA WORK (same number of tubes).

                                    And would you need a liebig at all if you have a cross-flow condenser of sufficient capacity with a bit in reserve?

                                    Regards,

                                    The Baker

                                    PS I want one of those condensers one day. B

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 3, 2009
                                      Hello Baker,

                                      Thanks for the comments. Yes, longer is not a big deal, is it.

                                      As far as I can see, the liebig is needed because all the X-flow does is
                                      ensure reflux. Still need a condenser to deal with the vapours taken
                                      off, right?

                                      (Someone correct me if I'm out to lunch. Actually, at the moment, I'm
                                      out doing a stripping run on one of my MUM washes. Started it May 21st.
                                      Last night, it was very slow, today quiet and down to 0.990. The other
                                      one, with the slow BK-1, is still going at a reasonable rate)

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 3, 2009
                                        Hi, Rasputin,

                                        Thanks for that, I only use a pot still and I'm still learning about the different classes of reflux still.
                                        I guess you are talking about vapour management and I was probably thinking of liquid management (?) where a part of the cooled liquid in the dam at the bottom of the condenser is drawn off, and with a condenser of sufficient capacity would, I expect, already be cool enough without a liebig.

                                        Regards,

                                        The Baker

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 3, 2009
                                          Hi Baker,

                                          Yes, VM set-up--maybe I should have been clearer. I don't know much
                                          about LM as that's not what I've been trying to learn about lately.
                                          Could be you're right for that kind of system... I honestly don't know :(