Re: Cloudy Booze

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7 5:24 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "noelbaker46" <noelbaker46@...> wrote:

      > I have just built another valved reflux still and almost a identical copy of the old one. The problem is that the new one produces a cloudy brew when it is diluted. There is one small 2" pice of clear plastic tubing in the reflux line should I replace that with a glass tube. Temperatures are identical at cut points as the old still. It has me a bit worried as to what to do to cure the problem.

      I had a similar issue with a newly built rig. I had to give it an hour long boil with a strong vinegar/citric acid/water solution. I had originally thought it was the brand of distilled water i had changed too but a few experiments proved that not to be the case. If you can, boil the head where all of the solder joints are in the same solution. The plastic tube could be the issue but some resilient flux residue is the more likely suspect. Please let us know what cures it.

      Mason
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7 9:47 AM
        Sidenote:

        And definitely loose that plastic.... There should NEVER be plastic
        anywhere near or in the high ABV vapor path of a reflux still. The
        exception being tubing to and from any condenser water supply...

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "noelbaker46" noelbaker46@ wrote:
        > >
        > > I have just built another valved reflux still and almost a identical
        copy of the old one. The problem is that the new one produces a cloudy
        brew when it is diluted. There is one small 2" pice of clear plastic
        tubing in the reflux line should I replace that with a glass tube.
        Temperatures are identical at cut points as the old still. It has me a
        bit worried as to what to do to cure the problem.

        > I had a similar issue with a newly built rig. I had to give it an hour
        long boil with a strong vinegar/citric acid/water solution. I had
        originally thought it was the brand of distilled water i had changed too
        but a few experiments proved that not to be the case. If you can, boil
        the head where all of the solder joints are in the same solution. The
        plastic tube could be the issue but some resilient flux residue is the
        more likely suspect. Please let us know what cures it.

        > Mason

      • Ozboc
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7 3:24 PM
          Perhaps  your Still is just in need of a break in period?  Maybe there are some chemicals still within from the build that need to be flushed out ?

          Boc

          Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:00 PM
          Subject: [Distillers] Cloudy Booze

          I have just built another valved reflux still and almost a identical copy of the old one. The problem is that the new one produces a cloudy brew when it is diluted. There is one small 2" pice of clear plastic tubing in the reflux line should I replace that with a glass tube. Temperatures are identical at cut points as the old still. It has me a bit worried as to what to do to cure the problem.

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7 9:32 PM
            Also, no plastic hoses in product collection line. What you describe happened to me when I was using a PVC hose for collecting the product into the bottle. Hot and high proof ethanol is not a plastic friendly thing.

            Slainte, Riku

            > Sidenote:
            >
            > And definitely loose that plastic.... There should NEVER be plastic
            > anywhere near or in the high ABV vapor path of a reflux still. The
            > exception being tubing to and from any condenser water supply...
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim aka Waldo.

          • anthonyathawes
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7 9:47 PM
              You can get away with it using glass tube and a minimum of plastic just to join segments

              Tony

              > Also, no plastic hoses in product collection line. What you describe happened to me when I was using a PVC hose for collecting the product into the bottle. Hot and high proof ethanol is not a plastic friendly thing.
              >
              > Slainte, Riku
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Sidenote:
              > >
              > > And definitely loose that plastic.... There should NEVER be plastic
              > > anywhere near or in the high ABV vapor path of a reflux still. The
              > > exception being tubing to and from any condenser water supply...
              > >
              > > Vino es Veritas,
              > >
              > > Jim aka Waldo.

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8 4:24 AM
                Tony,

                Im sorry, but DO NOT even using plastic for joining joint connections.
                Before becomming a Moderator here, I was posting on the Homedistiller's
                Web Site and described how i connected my 1/2" lyne arme to my shotgun
                condenser with 5/8" plastic/rubber hose pieces.... Even though it was a
                straight through connection for quick takedown / cleaning / hidding and
                the copper tubing was in direct contact with each other, I was severely
                chastised and yelled at by all the Mods and even Dave himself for
                suggesting this to beginners.

                Even though you may think there is complete contact, I have since
                learned that any miniscule gaps will cause the fumes to contact the
                plastic and cause leaching of acetates etc. into your distillate (which
                BTW does cause clouding even when diluting with distilled water....).

                If you want to make a temporary water / air tight connection, the best
                way I have found is to wrap each section end in plumbers teflon tape,
                connect them with a copper straight through connector, and then a couple
                of wraps of black electricians tape will do the trick. This is the way
                I now do it and works even in water.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthonyathawes"
                <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:

                > You can get away with it using glass tube and a minimum of plastic
                just to join segments

                > Tony
                >

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" abbababbaccc@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Also, no plastic hoses in product collection line. What you describe
                happened to me when I was using a PVC hose for collecting the product
                into the bottle. Hot and high proof ethanol is not a plastic friendly
                thing.

                > > Slainte, Riku
                > >
                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                wrote:

                > > > Sidenote:
                > > >
                > > > And definitely loose that plastic.... There should NEVER be
                plastic
                > > > anywhere near or in the high ABV vapor path of a reflux still. The
                > > > exception being tubing to and from any condenser water supply...
                > > >
                > > > Vino es Veritas,
                > > >
                > > > Jim aka Waldo.

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 14 , May 9 2:27 AM
                  In HD they are paranoid about plastics including rubber, up to the extent where they refuse to believe scientific reseach and even twist facts and get personal if you argue. Not my kind of place to be.

                  Anyway, it all comes down to the type of plastic or rubber you are using and where in your still you use it. As an example Amphora guys use NBR (IIRC) seals in the column of PDA-1 and I haven't heard anyone complaining about that. Countless Labmaster type stills have been built using rubber corks for sealing the column and in 20 years I haven't heard complaints about that either. Then again I have personal experience about polypropylene column that deformed in extended use while I've been using PP buckets as boilers for some five years now without problems.

                  Slainte, Riku

                  > Tony,
                  >
                  > Im sorry, but DO NOT even using plastic for joining joint connections.
                  > Before becomming a Moderator here, I was posting on the Homedistiller's
                  > Web Site and described how i connected my 1/2" lyne arme to my shotgun
                  > condenser with 5/8" plastic/rubber hose pieces.... Even though it was a
                  > straight through connection for quick takedown / cleaning / hidding and
                  > the copper tubing was in direct contact with each other, I was severely
                  > chastised and yelled at by all the Mods and even Dave himself for
                  > suggesting this to beginners.
                  >
                  > Even though you may think there is complete contact, I have since
                  > learned that any miniscule gaps will cause the fumes to contact the
                  > plastic and cause leaching of acetates etc. into your distillate (which
                  > BTW does cause clouding even when diluting with distilled water....).
                  >
                  > If you want to make a temporary water / air tight connection, the best
                  > way I have found is to wrap each section end in plumbers teflon tape,
                  > connect them with a copper straight through connector, and then a couple
                  > of wraps of black electricians tape will do the trick. This is the way
                  > I now do it and works even in water.
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  >
                  > Jim aka Waldo.

                • jamesonbeam1
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 9 4:38 AM
                    Thanks Riku,

                    Least im not the only one that found that out. Why I dont post there anymore.... But i still think using a copper straight thru with teflon tape for temporary connections is the way to go.

                    Vino es Veritas,

                    Jim aka Waldo.

                    > In HD they are paranoid about plastics including rubber, up to the extent where they refuse to believe scientific reseach and even twist facts and get personal if you argue. Not my kind of place to be.
                    >
                    > Anyway, it all comes down to the type of plastic or rubber you are using and where in your still you use it. As an example Amphora guys use NBR (IIRC) seals in the column of PDA-1 and I haven't heard anyone complaining about that. Countless Labmaster type stills have been built using rubber corks for sealing the column and in 20 years I haven't heard complaints about that either. Then again I have personal experience about polypropylene column that deformed in extended use while I've been using PP buckets as boilers for some five years now without problems.
                    >
                    > Slainte, Riku
                    >

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Tony,
                    > >
                    > > Im sorry, but DO NOT even using plastic for joining joint connections.
                    > > Before becomming a Moderator here, I was posting on the Homedistiller's
                    > > Web Site and described how i connected my 1/2" lyne arme to my shotgun
                    > > condenser with 5/8" plastic/rubber hose pieces.... Even though it was a
                    > > straight through connection for quick takedown / cleaning / hidding and
                    > > the copper tubing was in direct contact with each other, I was severely
                    > > chastised and yelled at by all the Mods and even Dave himself for
                    > > suggesting this to beginners.

                    ___snip
                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 9 8:14 AM
                      I agree, Teflon/PTFE tape is good. I use that for sealing in my stills as well.

                      Slainte, Riku

                    • jiwalker@aapt.net.au
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 11 2:06 AM
                        Guys

                        How come I received everyones replies to this query.......Thirty odd.

                        I joined the site and reveived so many emails.  Can I stop them coming thru?

                        Happy brewing

                        Jan
                        Also, no plastic hoses in product collection line. What you describe happened to me when I was using a PVC hose for collecting the product into the bottle. Hot and high proof ethanol is not a plastic friendly thing.

                        Slainte, Riku

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@ ...> wrote:

                        > Sidenote:
                        >
                        > And definitely loose that plastic.... There should NEVER be plastic
                        > anywhere near or in the high ABV vapor path of a reflux still. The
                        > exception being tubing to and from any condenser water supply...
                        >
                        > Vino es Veritas,
                        >
                        > Jim aka Waldo.

                      • noelbaker46
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 11 2:40 AM
                          Thanks for all the tips.
                          I will never make the same mistake again.
                          The offending bit of plastic has now been dispached to the rubbish bin. The cloudy product has been redistilled via old faithfull (no 1 still) and is is in pristine condition.
                          Now on oak and preliminary tasting says that all is well.
                          Will let you know as to the efficiency of the new still. No new ideas just a combination of ideas. Might even get to posting a few pictures of the new one.
                          Being a plumber and used to silver soldering it is all solid copper apart from the one mistake.
                        • M W
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 11 7:06 AM
                            jiwalker you could try digest mode (each day's messages all in one big message)

                            The list provides directions below every message :)
                          • jamesonbeam1
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 11 8:20 AM

                              Walker,

                              The way to do it is as MW said.  Go into Members listing on the left of this screen - enter your email in the search window - jiwalker@... and then edit your email preferences - Individual e-mails, Daily digest, Special Notices or No emails.

                              Or ask  myself or one of the mods to do it for you.

                              Vino es Veritas,

                              Jim aka Waldo.