Re: Pump for cross-flow

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 37 , May 4, 2009
      I agree Baker, if I had a radiator cooling setup like Harry mentions (which I tried) or any other setup that allows it, one could, as you say stack the business up to reduce the head height of the pump.

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

      > Hi, folks,
      >
      > Especially for those of us (most, I think) who don't use a cooling tower -- good idea that it seems to be -- the simplest way to reduce the effective head of the pump would be to raise the water reservoir on a stand.
      > This could be done as simply as using a stackable bin for the reservoir and sit it on say three other bins with their lids on.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > The Baker
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > If you see with my setup I have the pump feeding the turbulated liebig condenser first, then the cross flow, then to the top of the cooling tower. The pump in my setup does not get the benefit of the gravity pull of the water going down back the water tub either, so that extra work for the pump, plus I have 4 joiners that are slightly reduced in the in side bore which adds to the friction. Anyway that's my setup, it may give you some others things to consider.
      > >
      > > The pond pump I use is a sun sun HJ-3701. 2500 LPH, or 660 GPH, 100 Watts, 4 M max head height. I paid $36 AUD delivered from ebay.
      > >

      > > My pump:
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/clybse
      > >
      > > My still plumbing setup:
      > > In this picture below, the joins I mentioned are not there, I added them later for easy pack up.
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/8o9vau
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > > Marc
      > >
      > > Ps, my rule of thumb, need a one meter head height, get a pump that do two meters, always double it, you can't go wrong.

    • No Name
      Message 37 of 37 , May 10, 2009
        Or you can just look around,. Most people have them all over their homes.    All you need is a transformer. Like the ones that are used to plug in cordless phones.  Or Those Picture frames that have digital pictures. or what ever..

         Look on the taggs of the pump to see what the Amps  are then Find a transformer that suits..  IF you don't have one at home Ebay, Or Radio shack has all you need any size you want..

          Wire it up and plug it in..       Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.   I sure there is other ways to handle this issue. but this one would only take a few minutes to fix;./     HTH      Nameless     "I forgot My Name"