Re: Pump for cross-flow

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 37 , May 4, 2009
      Hi, folks,

      Especially for those of us (most, I think) who don't use a cooling tower -- good idea that it seems to be -- the simplest way to reduce the effective head of the pump would be to raise the water reservoir on a stand.
      This could be done as simply as using a stackable bin for the reservoir and sit it on say three other bins with their lids on.

      Regards,

      The Baker

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > As Zapata Vive mentioned before, I too would be more concerned about head height that the pump can pump to, than the GPH. The figures that are quoted are fairly rubbery too as with most thing in life.
      >
      > With the height of my still, the cross flow condenser stands 2.5 meters off the ground (where my water source is), I knew that if I needed to get the water up there and with good pressure I would need to double the head height requirement.
      >
      > So I got a pond pump that had a max head height of 4 meters, and I'd say it works ok but not but much.
      >
      > If you see with my setup I have the pump feeding the turbulated liebig condenser first, then the cross flow, then to the top of the cooling tower. The pump in my setup does not get the benefit of the gravity pull of the water going down back the water tub either, so that extra work for the pump, plus I have 4 joiners that are slightly reduced in the in side bore which adds to the friction. Anyway that's my setup, it may give you some others things to consider.
      >
      > The pond pump I use is a sun sun HJ-3701. 2500 LPH, or 660 GPH, 100 Watts, 4 M max head height. I paid $36 AUD delivered from ebay.
      >

      > My pump:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/clybse
      >
      > My still plumbing setup:
      > In this picture below, the joins I mentioned are not there, I added them later for easy pack up.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/8o9vau
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc
      >
      > Ps, my rule of thumb, need a one meter head height, get a pump that do two meters, always double it, you can't go wrong.
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rasputin Paracelsus" <rasputin@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks again.
      > >
      > > I was also suspicious about the gph figures, but the problem I've been facing is that all the on-line info for the various stores I have access to list only that figure. To get anything else, I have to try to find the same item somewhere else (e.g. a US distributor). I've not been able to go and check these things on-site, but will be able to tomorrow.
      > >
      > > Now I have something to go on!

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > My experience is that gph is near worthless rating for pumps, especially small cheap pumps, because the head, hose etc all drastically affect the pump.

    • No Name
      Message 37 of 37 , May 10, 2009
        Or you can just look around,. Most people have them all over their homes.    All you need is a transformer. Like the ones that are used to plug in cordless phones.  Or Those Picture frames that have digital pictures. or what ever..

         Look on the taggs of the pump to see what the Amps  are then Find a transformer that suits..  IF you don't have one at home Ebay, Or Radio shack has all you need any size you want..

          Wire it up and plug it in..       Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.   I sure there is other ways to handle this issue. but this one would only take a few minutes to fix;./     HTH      Nameless     "I forgot My Name"