Re: [Distillers] Re: Pump for cross-flow

  • M W
    Message 1 of 37 , May 4, 2009
      Someone mentioned a voltage regulator for controlling pump speed. While this might work with some motors (AC/DC motors or "Universal" motors, like a mototool uses since it needs variable speed) you (a) don't want those for continuous-running motors and (b) aren't likely to get one on a good pump; On the good motors (Shaded-Pole/Induction motors) it takes a costly variable-frequency drive to control motor speed (emphasis on costly.)

      And cycling a motor on/off isn't always ideal. Most of my experience is with larger motors, but same principles.

      Instead of either of those I'd consider running a slightly restricted hose up to a certain height (above your condenser head if needed, I'd think) and then have it spill over into a small vessel or funnel, and drain down through a larger hose into your water tank the pump pickup is in. Has to be vented at the top so it doesn't siphon. Just have drlawrence's upper vessel overflow into the bottom tank basically :)
    • No Name
      Message 37 of 37 , May 10, 2009
        Or you can just look around,. Most people have them all over their homes.    All you need is a transformer. Like the ones that are used to plug in cordless phones.  Or Those Picture frames that have digital pictures. or what ever..

         Look on the taggs of the pump to see what the Amps  are then Find a transformer that suits..  IF you don't have one at home Ebay, Or Radio shack has all you need any size you want..

          Wire it up and plug it in..       Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.   I sure there is other ways to handle this issue. but this one would only take a few minutes to fix;./     HTH      Nameless     "I forgot My Name"