Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Distillers] Pump for cross-flow

Expand Messages
  • Zapata Vive
    I really don t understand why you don t just get a smaller pump? Something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47117 or
    Message 1 of 37 , May 3, 2009
      I really don't understand why you don't just get a smaller pump?
      Something like this:
      $20 and $25 US respectively.  20 and 55 watts respectively, I think Harry runs 26 watts for comparison.  Surely you can find something similar, cheap pumps are widely available in the US, or heck, how much is shipping to Canada?
      Another benefit of an appropriately small pump is that they are nearly silent.
      Seems way easier and no / not much more cost than your proposed "sale" pump.  Definitely cheaper than buying another keg...
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 11:01 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] Pump for cross-flow


      I've had a bit of a chat with Mason about this, but additional input
      would be welcome.

      There is a submersible pump presently on sale (next few days, while
      supplies last) for ca. CAD 35 which will do 1000 gph (US), and pump to a
      max height of 17'. Now, I know from Harry's past posts that he runs at
      6L/min, or 360L/hr, i.e. approx. 90 US gal/hr. So this thing is overkill
      by an order of magnitude...

      I also know that one can get around this to some extent by splitting the
      flow and recirculating (in this case the majority) part of it back into
      the holding vessel, so as to spare the wear and tear on the pump. Mason
      does this, though his pump is rated for about half the flow I believe,
      give or take, and he says it works fine.

      The thing is that to get a lower capacity pump (say 95 gph) will cost
      twice as much or more. Any thoughts on this? (and of course there is
      some issue with wasting electricity unnecessarily by using an
      overpowered pump.)



    • No Name
      Or you can just look around,. Most people have them all over their homes.    All you need is a transformer. Like the ones that are used to plug in cordless
      Message 37 of 37 , May 10, 2009
        Or you can just look around,. Most people have them all over their homes.    All you need is a transformer. Like the ones that are used to plug in cordless phones.  Or Those Picture frames that have digital pictures. or what ever..
         Look on the taggs of the pump to see what the Amps  are then Find a transformer that suits..  IF you don't have one at home Ebay, Or Radio shack has all you need any size you want..  
          Wire it up and plug it in..       Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.   I sure there is other ways to handle this issue. but this one would only take a few minutes to fix;./     HTH      Nameless     "I forgot My Name"

        From: Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...>
        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:25:21 AM
        Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Pump for cross-flow

        You can get transformers from 110 to 12V, I saw one just the other day
        while I was looking for something else and thought, "interesting, but
        don't need that..." :)


        Ed Barcik wrote:
        > What do you use for power? 12v battery wouldn’t seem to last very long.
        > ,_._,___


        Distillers list archives :

        FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
        http://homedistiller.orgYahoo! Groups Links

        <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.