Gaskets

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2009
      This is from a friend/list member who is uncomfortable posting, but has something to add to the thread.

      -------------------------------
      Hi Bob,

      I hope you're doing well!

      I've been following the posts about gaskets, and couldn't stand it anymore...  ;-)

      I've been using a gasket cut from a 1/8" thick FDA-approved silicone sheet for several years. It's been through MANY runs and shows no wear whatsoever. I clamp a copper flange to the 8" opening cut in a beer keg with the gasket between them. No leaks, rinse-off cleanup. It just works. A 12" square piece can be purchased from www.mcmaster.com , part # 86045K104.

      If you wouldn't mind, would you please post this info on the list? You know I'm paranoid/chicken about posting...

      If you want to credit it, please use "Journeyman".

      Journeyman it is, and thanks for the information.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      HotmailĀ® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2009

        > This is from a friend/list member who is uncomfortable posting, but has something to add to the thread.
        >
        > -------------------------------
        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > I hope you're doing well!
        >
        > I've been following the posts about gaskets, and couldn't stand it anymore... ;-)
        >
        > I've
        > been using a gasket cut from a 1/8" thick FDA-approved silicone sheet
        > for several years. It's been through MANY runs and shows no wear
        > whatsoever. I clamp a copper flange to the 8" opening cut in a beer keg
        > with the gasket between them. No leaks, rinse-off cleanup. It just
        > works. A 12" square piece can be purchased from www.mcmaster.com , part # 86045K104.
        >

        > If you wouldn't mind, would you please post this info on the list? You know I'm paranoid/chicken about posting...
        >
        > If you want to credit it, please use "Journeyman".
        >
        > Journeyman it is, and thanks for the information.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        I dont know why I had not thought of this. I have access to rolls of that stuff. Thanks Z Bob and Journeyman.

        Mason
      • hamlet_jones
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2009
          This is a cool idea. I didn't know silicone was safe. I've been using cork sheet, but have always been leary about the glue that's used in the mfg.

          If a fellow used little cork spacers/shims, you could spread some vasoline on one half and use silicone fishbowl sealant, so you could take things apart without ripping the cured silicone. Clean the grease off first.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...>
          > > I've
          > > been using a gasket cut from a 1/8" thick FDA-approved silicone sheet
        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2009

            Hamlet,

            If you bothered reading it....