Re: Pump for cross-flow

  • anthonyathawes
    Message 1 of 37 , May 3, 2009
      Wouldn't a voltage controller do the two tasks? Save electricity and give you the right speed,

      Tony

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I've had a bit of a chat with Mason about this, but additional input
      > would be welcome.
      >
      > There is a submersible pump presently on sale (next few days, while
      > supplies last) for ca. CAD 35 which will do 1000 gph (US), and pump to a
      > max height of 17'. Now, I know from Harry's past posts that he runs at
      > 6L/min, or 360L/hr, i.e. approx. 90 US gal/hr. So this thing is overkill
      > by an order of magnitude...
      >
      > I also know that one can get around this to some extent by splitting the
      > flow and recirculating (in this case the majority) part of it back into
      > the holding vessel, so as to spare the wear and tear on the pump. Mason
      > does this, though his pump is rated for about half the flow I believe,
      > give or take, and he says it works fine.
      >
      > The thing is that to get a lower capacity pump (say 95 gph) will cost
      > twice as much or more. Any thoughts on this? (and of course there is
      > some issue with wasting electricity unnecessarily by using an
      > overpowered pump.)
      >
      > Thanks

    • No Name
      Message 37 of 37 , May 10, 2009
        Or you can just look around,. Most people have them all over their homes.    All you need is a transformer. Like the ones that are used to plug in cordless phones.  Or Those Picture frames that have digital pictures. or what ever..

         Look on the taggs of the pump to see what the Amps  are then Find a transformer that suits..  IF you don't have one at home Ebay, Or Radio shack has all you need any size you want..

          Wire it up and plug it in..       Of course this is just my 2 cents worth.   I sure there is other ways to handle this issue. but this one would only take a few minutes to fix;./     HTH      Nameless     "I forgot My Name"