gaskets

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
      Hi Group,
      After trying everything I have had one gasket for 3yrs. It is made from silicone plastic. This comes in a two part putty and is usually used for making chocolate moulds. For our purposes it is heat resistant and chemically inert. It's plasticity and ease of moulding make it very easy to use, plus it is reasonably inexpensive.
      Worth trying.

      Regards
      Joe

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        > After trying everything I have had one gasket for 3yrs. It is made from silicone plastic. This comes in a two part putty and is usually used for making chocolate moulds. For our purposes it is heat resistant and chemically inert. It's plasticity and ease of moulding make it very easy to use, plus it is reasonably inexpensive.
        >     http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html
        > Worth trying.
        >
        > Regards
        > Joe

        That's a good find Joe. Anybody should be able to make their own seals for any shape/size using that.
        The biggest problem with any gasket material is its ability to withstand compression distortion and recover its shape. Silicone is superior to most other materials for this. And silicone seals last for years if done right in the first place.

      • Rasputin Paracelsus
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
          I'd already considered this.... but it strikes me as rather on the
          expensive side. 6oz for $12? Would that even be enough?

          Harry wrote:
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Group,
          >> After trying everything I have had one gasket for 3yrs. It is made from silicone plastic. This comes in a two part putty and is usually used for making chocolate moulds. For our purposes it is heat resistant and chemically inert. It's plasticity and ease of moulding make it very easy to use, plus it is reasonably inexpensive.
          >> http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html
          >> Worth trying.
          >>
          >> Regards
          >> Joe
          >>

          > That's a good find Joe. Anybody should be able to make their own seals for any shape/size using that.
          > The biggest problem with any gasket material is its ability to withstand compression distortion and recover its shape. Silicone is superior to most other materials for this. And silicone seals last for years if done right in the first place.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry
        • M W
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
            Having done some molding for electronics connectors previously, you can try calling your local friendly 3M salesman, you may wish to use a little discretion but basically you need a custom gasket for a low pressure boiling vessel, that is food safe and not affected by too many different chemicals; Usually they are rather helpful, they may be able to point you at a local supplier who can sell you small batches.

            Problem is, most of the costs in this sort of thing are in packaging and shipping, so it all tends to "not be free" so to speak.

            I think the instructions said 6"x6"x1/4" for that material; that should seal most pressure cooker-sized pots I'd think, this isn't a high pressure seal ("hopefully" no pressure really!"

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

              > I'd already considered this.... but it strikes me as rather on the
              > expensive side. 6oz for $12? Would that even be enough?

              May I put this in perspective?

              You would pay up to $50 or even more for a good commercial bottle of your favourite tipple.
              You would spend several hundred dollars in copper & valves etc. to build a still.
              You would spend several hundred dollars a year to insure your house & contents.

              But $12 for a seal that prevents leaking and the resulting burn down of your house is "rather expensive"? Sorry, I don't follow that logic.

            • Rasputin Paracelsus
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29, 2009
                It's quite simple, Harry: it's twice the cost or more of the other
                slicone sealants you've spoken about, without counting shipping which
                always ends up being a lot. Having spent several hundred dollars on this
                already, and being on a rather tight budget at the moment, I'd like to
                try to keep the costs down. (So I"m staying away from $50 tipple and the
                rest. House insurance I have no choice over.). And it's not like I'm
                under pressure (har har) here. Got LOADS of rye flour which isn't doing
                anything, so....

                :)

                Harry wrote:
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I'd already considered this.... but it strikes me as rather on the
                >> expensive side. 6oz for $12? Would that even be enough?

                > May I put this in perspective?
                >
                > You would pay up to $50 or even more for a good commercial bottle of your favourite tipple.
                > You would spend several hundred dollars in copper & valves etc. to build a still.
                > You would spend several hundred dollars a year to insure your house & contents.
                >
                > But $12 for a seal that prevents leaking and the resulting burn down of your house is "rather expensive"? Sorry, I don't follow that logic.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry
              • Stephen Anderson
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 29, 2009
                  Check out silicone cake pans and bread boards on Ebay. They go for
                  around $6 and can be cut to any size you want with a pair of scissors
                  and punch.