Rubber Gasket

  • diskmaster23
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hey everybody,

      I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.

      I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.

      Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic.com/9uacyg.jpg

      Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?

      Thanks!
    • KM Services

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
          Hi Diskmaster,
          If you go to a store that sells floor coverings like carpets, carpet floor tiles etc. they should sell untreated resin free cork floor tiles about 12" x 12"and not quite 0.5" thick. (They were all the rage in the 70's for bathrooms, they were warm to step onto when getting out of the bath) These make excellent compression gaskets (they needs to be high density cork for the wear factor it would get on a floor)
          Geoff
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...> wrote:

          > Hey everybody,
          >
          > I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.
          >
          > I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.
          >
          > Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic.com/9uacyg.jpg
          >
          > Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • gabriel.watts
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
            My local Ace Hardware sells silicone gasket material in bulk form so that one may trace out a pattern and then with a pen knife cut out a custom gasket. They have up to 12" wide strips with material about 1/8" thick, I have used it many times. If not large enough then you may be able to join two or how about this- I do a lot of work with old cars and motorcycles and I uses cork material for a lot of seals. They sell cork in a roll about the size of a poster in order to make your own cork board-that should do it just fine I believe-not too durable cork is however!
          • Rasputin Paracelsus
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
              I've tried cork for corkboards, and it worked... until I opened it
              again, and the cork shrank. So it's a one-use situation.

              Unless waiting until it cools down would make a difference, I don't know....

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                I might give that a try. That might just be what I am looking for.

                I've tried the custom corkboard stuff before, but that just breaks up too easily. I'll take a look at the floor tile stuff, I might get somewhere with that.

                David

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                > Hi Diskmaster,
                > If you go to a store that sells floor coverings like carpets, carpet floor tiles etc. they should sell untreated resin free cork floor tiles about 12" x 12"and not quite 0.5" thick. (They were all the rage in the 70's for bathrooms, they were warm to step onto when getting out of the bath) These make excellent compression gaskets (they needs to be high density cork for the wear factor it would get on a floor)
                > Geoff
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey everybody,
                > >
                > > I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.
                > >
                > > I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.
                > >
                > > Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic.com/9uacyg.jpg
                > >
                > > Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?
                > >
                > > Thanks!

              • diskmaster23
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                  I tried the cork board thing too and it malfunctioned almost immediately. Looking for a more stable item.

                  Disk

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gabriel.watts" <gabehas2manycars@...> wrote:

                  > My local Ace Hardware sells silicone gasket material in bulk form so that one may trace out a pattern and then with a pen knife cut out a custom gasket. They have up to 12" wide strips with material about 1/8" thick, I have used it many times. If not large enough then you may be able to join two or how about this- I do a lot of work with old cars and motorcycles and I uses cork material for a lot of seals. They sell cork in a roll about the size of a poster in order to make your own cork board-that should do it just fine I believe-not too durable cork is however!

                • bbornais
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                    I used to make flour seals for a gasket, but then I tried not using anything, and the seal on my 12in pan/head works well. The worst case scenario, when one of the threads was stripped out, was that it leaked a little there for about 2min, then stopped. Since then I have welded steel threaded blocks to the keg, and have not had a problem with leakage since. Please note that this technique is only applicable to my wash still, for processing washes into low wines. I would not take my chances with greater than beer strength distilling with this technique.

                    I find that using stainless pans instead of mixing bowls,is a better way to go, since they use thicker steel, and are made to tighter specs. It also makes it possible to simply clamp two bars across the top, rather than having multiple anchor points.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...> wrote:

                    > I tried the cork board thing too and it malfunctioned almost immediately. Looking for a more stable item.
                    >
                    > Disk
                    >
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gabriel.watts" <gabehas2manycars@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > My local Ace Hardware sells silicone gasket material in bulk form so that one may trace out a pattern and then with a pen knife cut out a custom gasket. They have up to 12" wide strips with material about 1/8" thick, I have used it many times. If not large enough then you may be able to join two or how about this- I do a lot of work with old cars and motorcycles and I uses cork material for a lot of seals. They sell cork in a roll about the size of a poster in order to make your own cork board-that should do it just fine I believe-not too durable cork is however!

                  • ortholaan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                      Hi.

                      When I need a hard material I use corc floortiles which were left from covering mij floor.
                      Thin sheets of cork easy brake down when You bent it or try to make holes in it.

                      Last time I often us silicone baking sheets.
                      Those sheets are about 40 x 30 cM large and 3 mm thick and very flexible.
                      They are sold in householdshops and supermarkets and intend to use in the kitchen stove to put coockies on en they are cheep.
                      The are foodproof and can handle temperatures up to 220 degrees celcius.

                      Proost, Ko.

                      wrote:

                      > Hey everybody,
                      >
                      > I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.
                      >
                      > I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.
                      >
                      > Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic.com/9uacyg.jpg
                      >
                      > Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • Zapata Vive
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2009
                        Staples has thin cork for bulletin boards in tiles or large several feet rectangle pieces.  I called the company and they confirmed that the product really is 100% cork, nothing else.  I think I got a 24" x 36" roll for about $10.

                        But I prefer silicone.

                        If you go to a store that sells floor coverings like carpets, carpet floor tiles etc. they should sell untreated resin free cork floor tiles about 12" x 12"and not quite 0.5" thick. (They were all the rage in the 70's for bathrooms, they were warm to step onto when getting out of the bath) These make excellent compression gaskets (they needs to be high density cork for the wear factor it would get on a floor)
                        Geoff
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@ ...> wrote:

                        > Hey everybody,
                        >
                        > I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.
                        >
                        > I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.
                        >
                        > Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic. com/9uacyg. jpg
                        >
                        > Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • Zapata Vive
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29, 2009
                          Ignore this, somehow it got caught in my outbox and arrived much delayed.  I see others weren't happy with this product, I guess I didn't use it enough to see it's shortfalls...

                          Staples has thin cork for bulletin boards in tiles or large several feet rectangle pieces.  I called the company and they confirmed that the product really is 100% cork, nothing else.  I think I got a 24" x 36" roll for about $10.

                          But I prefer silicone.

                          If you go to a store that sells floor coverings like carpets, carpet floor tiles etc. they should sell untreated resin free cork floor tiles about 12" x 12"and not quite 0.5" thick. (They were all the rage in the 70's for bathrooms, they were warm to step onto when getting out of the bath) These make excellent compression gaskets (they needs to be high density cork for the wear factor it would get on a floor)
                          Geoff
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hey everybody,
                          >
                          > I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.
                          >
                          > I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.
                          >
                          > Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic. com/9uacyg. jpg
                          >
                          > Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?
                          >
                          > Thanks!

                        • diskmaster23
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                            I tried the silicone cooking sheet thing and it works. It is a little expensive, but it works good.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ortholaan" <info21@...> wrote:

                            > Hi.
                            >
                            > When I need a hard material I use corc floortiles which were left from covering mij floor.
                            > Thin sheets of cork easy brake down when You bent it or try to make holes in it.
                            >
                            > Last time I often us silicone baking sheets.
                            > Those sheets are about 40 x 30 cM large and 3 mm thick and very flexible.
                            > They are sold in householdshops and supermarkets and intend to use in the kitchen stove to put coockies on en they are cheep.
                            > The are foodproof and can handle temperatures up to 220 degrees celcius.
                            >
                            > Proost, Ko.
                            >

                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hey everybody,
                            > >
                            > > I have a pony keg that I use as my boiler and a 10.5" mixing bowl that sits on top of the pony keg. The mixing bowl has a hole in it with a stainless flange.
                            > >
                            > > I have been using the basic silicon tube mix for my gaskets. After soon use it is now falling apart because of the clamping down that I have to do. I believe it is time that I invest in a proper gasket that will withstand the clamping down process and seal the mixing bowl to the keg.
                            > >
                            > > Here is a good picture of it. http://i42.tinypic.com/9uacyg.jpg
                            > >
                            > > Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy a rubber gasket that will fit my needs without breaking the bank account?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks!

                          • anthonyathawes
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
                              Well, you've made a brilliant and beautiful job of the top - and obviously know how to weld.

                              Just as a matter of interest though, for those with less skill,I got a successful seal just using 4 self-tapping screws into the keg. There's virtually no pressure, and I found that two self-tappers were adequate for holding the still down, and must have taken all of 5 minutes to do. Seven clamps therefore seems a bit excessive - but you made a fine job, and it gives me an idea for the future.

                              Tony