Re: Bourbon - sour mash or cooked mash?

  • edwards778
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2009
      Thanks Mason & Robert,

      I was just too literal and thought no cook really meant no cook. I see the error of my evil ways now. I have put together a 25-gallon UJSM this morning and will follow that for as many generations as I can. After getting really terrible results with the all corn/no cook/enzymes route I bought Ian Smiley's book and tried all-corn again. Again flavor was great but so little yield. Ian was great, we exchanged many emails and he did point out some of my many mistakes.

      Then I moved into sugar washes and got tons of liquor fast and easy. So I was (and still am) a bit hooked on using sugars. But now I have a goodly amount of neutral spirits and really want the sour corn taste again. I am not poor but cannot bring myself to buy it from a store again because I have a still, or three, or four. I am at the point now where flavor is more important than quantity. Although I do take a certain pride in being able to doctor up the neutral spirits about 200+ different ways.

      You have both been so helpful and I thank you again. I have one more question... it is about breaking in my first new 15 gallon barrel that should be here from Gibbs Brothers in about a week. But I am moving that to a new thread. Please look for it and contribute to it if you can because I truly value your expertise.

      Still Stillin', Lloyd