Re: Commercial Gin Recipes

  • blueeyedpilot69
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
      Thanks Wal....
      Not that concerned with the most efficient method. Wanting a method that will provide a somewhat softer botanical aspect. Will keep everyone posted on results.

      > The botanicals are not placed in a Carterhead column but in a separate unit which resembles a thumper. Placing them in the head apace of the boiler would be similar. Personally I think macerating and redistilling is more efficient way to extract essential oils.
      > wal
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "blueeyedpilot69" <blueeyedpilot69@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Bob,
      > > > You mention the basket in the carterhead still. To duplicate this process I was considering placing the botanicals in a hop bag and loosely packing that into the column. As always, any and all opinions appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Dale
      > >

      > > I don't think that's a wise idea. There's potential there for a column blockage when the botanicals cook (steam remember) and render down into a mushy mass. They'll form a wad or plug. You need a rigid porous framework (basket) to hold the mass and allow steam to penetrate effectively without shooting the thing out the top of your still.
      > > Personally I think botanicals in a muslin bag inside your boiler is equally as effective. They never get scorched and there's no flirting with danger. My 2 pesos.
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry

    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
        I've thought about doing this myself, although I admittedly haven't yet.  But I've figured out lots of ways to suspend the botanicals in the headspace of the boiler.  From stainless steamer baskets hanging from the bolts that hold my flange on to mesh bags hung from string that runs straight through the column.

        Seems WAY safer to not put them in the column at all.

        IF you really wanted to put them in the column, perhaps you could use a length of tube smaller than your column, say 1.5" inch in a 2" column.  Perforate the heck out of this inner tube and use it to hold your botanicals while allowing plenty of safety.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

        > The botanicals are not placed in a Carterhead column but in a separate unit which resembles a thumper. Placing them in the head apace of the boiler would be similar. Personally I think macerating and redistilling is more efficient way to extract essential oils.
        > wal
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "blueeyedpilot69" <blueeyedpilot69@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Bob,
        > > > You mention the basket in the carterhead still. To duplicate this process I was considering placing the botanicals in a hop bag and loosely packing that into the column. As always, any and all opinions appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Dale
        > >

        > > I don't think that's a wise idea. There's potential there for a column blockage when the botanicals cook (steam remember) and render down into a mushy mass. They'll form a wad or plug. You need a rigid porous framework (basket) to hold the mass and allow steam to penetrate effectively without shooting the thing out the top of your still.
        > > Personally I think botanicals in a muslin bag inside your boiler is equally as effective. They never get scorched and there's no flirting with danger. My 2 pesos.
        > >

        > > Slainte!
        > > regards Harry

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
          Wal,

          I agree completely, and the quality is excellent. I've done it that way many times.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: waljaco@...
          Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:34:00 +0000

          The botanicals are not placed in a Carterhead column but in a separate unit which resembles a thumper. Placing them in the head apace of the boiler would be similar. Personally I think macerating and redistilling is more efficient way to extract essential oils.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@ ...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "blueeyedpilot69" <blueeyedpilot69@ > wrote:

          ----snip----

          Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Check it out.
        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009

            There is an interesting video on “you tube “about beefeater gin production which is worth a watch http://tinyurl.com/dg3m3z

            Ken Mc

          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 29, 2009

              Personally I think macerating and redistilling is more efficient way to extract essential oils.
              > wal

              Wal,

              I agree completely, and the quality is excellent. I've done it that way many times.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              I go this route myself. I really want to try the "thumper" method one day and also want to give Z Bobs #1 essence a go but right now I have made about 10 liters from the "basic Gin recipe" Wal posted a few months back. I omitted the angelica and replaced it with 50/50 juniper/cardamom. It makes a very nice, strong flavored Gin. I steep it 4L at a time at 50% for 3 days. Cut it to 30%, dump it ALL in the pot and distill it to 208F. I would take it over Bombay sapphire or rangpur lime any day. You really dont have to distill it. I have been in a pinch for a gin and tonic and just run a few oz through a coffee filter. It just looks more appealing in the clear distilled form.

              Mason
            • ethohmakr
              Message 6 of 16 , May 23, 2009
                There are some experiments over on AD and HD using a thumper for gin. Overnight maceration and then botanicals and neutral in the thumper, water in the boiler.

                It's interesting because the flavors come over separately. This allows making flavor cuts, blending and evaluation to refine the recipe.
              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 16 , May 23, 2009
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ethohmakr" <ethohmakr@...> wrote:

                  > There are some experiments over on AD and HD using a thumper for gin. Overnight maceration and then botanicals and neutral in the thumper, water in the boiler.
                  >
                  > It's interesting because the flavors come over separately. This allows making flavor cuts, blending and evaluation to refine the recipe.

                  Links?

                  Mason