alcoholometer correction table

  • Geoff Redman
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2002
      Based on some data tables for water-ethanol mixtures, I've put together
      a correction table for an alcoholometer calibrated at 20 degrees
      celsius. The table covers the range of 0 to 100%abv and 0 to 50 degrees
      celsius. A draft of the report that contains the table (i.e.,
      correctiontable.pdf) has been uploaded to the 'files' section of our
      yahoo group pages. I apologize in advance for the sketchy on-screen
      display of some of the plots (I'll fix them later), but the plots print
      out OK. Please let me know if there are any other problems with the
      table or the report.

      geoff
    • Geoff Redman
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2002
        If anyone has trouble finding the correction table, try the following link:

        geoff

        > Based on some data tables for water-ethanol mixtures, I've put together
        > a correction table for an alcoholometer calibrated at 20 degrees
        > celsius. The table covers the range of 0 to 100%abv and 0 to 50 degrees
        > celsius. A draft of the report that contains the table (i.e.,
        > correctiontable.pdf) has been uploaded to the 'files' section of our
        > yahoo group pages. I apologize in advance for the sketchy on-screen
        > display of some of the plots (I'll fix them later), but the plots print
        > out OK. Please let me know if there are any other problems with the
        > table or the report.
        >
        > geoff
      • Nicholas Hamilton
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2002
          Nice work Geoff!

          But since I live in the only major country that still refuses to use the
          metric system this table does not help me.

          Could you either provide the source data required to construct this table or
          recalculate it for an alcoholmeter calibrated at 60.0 degrees F
          (approx.15.55556 degrees C) for us unfortunates living in the US.

          Nick

          >From: Geoff Redman <gredman@...>
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Distillers] alcoholometer correction table
          >Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:02:49 -0700
          >
          >Based on some data tables for water-ethanol mixtures, I've put together
          >a correction table for an alcoholometer calibrated at 20 degrees
          >celsius. The table covers the range of 0 to 100%abv and 0 to 50 degrees
          >celsius. A draft of the report that contains the table (i.e.,
          >correctiontable.pdf) has been uploaded to the 'files' section of our
          >yahoo group pages. I apologize in advance for the sketchy on-screen
          >display of some of the plots (I'll fix them later), but the plots print
          >out OK. Please let me know if there are any other problems with the
          >table or the report.
          >
          >geoff

        • Geoff Redman
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
            Hello all,

            I've already got some useful feedback on the alcoholometer correction table with concern for the calibration temperature. Hmmm, how many different kinds of alcoholometers are in use by our group? It's fairly straightforward to formulate a chart for any calibration temperature. Please let me know if your setup is not listed in the chart below. If there's not too many setups, perhaps I will generate soon correction tables for all of them. We may as well note both the alcoholometer and the thermometer units of measurement as well.

            # concentration units temperature units calibration temperature
            - ------------------ ------------------ -----------------------
            1 %abv deg. celsius 20 deg. celsius
            2
            3

            geoff

            Could you either provide the source data required to construct this table or
            recalculate it for an alcoholmeter calibrated at 60.0 degrees F
            (approx.15.55556 degrees C) for us unfortunates living in the US.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015432838%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=1>
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/rand=131536942>

          • Geoff Redman
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002

              -       ------------------     ------------------     -----------------------

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
                I am fine with temperature as degrees C and concentration as %abv.

                Just in case you want to know my alcoholmeter is calibrated at 60 degrees F
                and has scales for %abv and US proof (US proof = 0.5 %abv).

                -=snip=-

                >Yeah, I should be able to calculate tables for other calibration
                >temperatures fairly easily. Give me some time though, as I'm not sure
                >yet when I'll have the time. Out of curiosity, are you fine with the
                >concentration units (%abv) and the temperature units (degrees celsius)?
                >
                >geoff

              • Nicholas Hamilton
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
                  Here is my addition to the list of alcoholometer types. US proof = 2(%abv).

                  # concentration units temperature units calibration temperature
                  - ------------------ ------------------ -----------------------
                  1 %abv deg. celsius 20 deg. celsius
                  2 %abv, US proof deg. fahrenheit 60 deg. fahrenheit
                  3

                  Hopefully there are not too many other types in common use. Thanks in
                  advance for the work you have put into this project.

                  Nick

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
                      >I want to make sure I'm clear on this. Are you saying you have both
                      >%abv and
                      >US proof scales? Or are you saying you have only the US proof scale
                      >that is
                      >double the %abv scale?

                      My alcoholmeter has two independent scales, %abv and US proof. A table using
                      either of these units will work for my application. Since the conversion
                      between %abv and US proof is so simple I suggest you leave the table(s) in
                      %abv as it is the international convention for such things. This will
                      hopefully pervent users from confusing the US proof numbers with British and
                      other proof units.

                      >I will certainly recalculate the table to reflect a zero volume
                      >expansion factor at 60oF.

                      Sounds fine.

                      >But I'm wondering, would you agree that the present steps in the
                      >temperature and >concentration indices are sufficient? Then it's just a
                      >matter of converting the >column and row headings. (e.g. 0, 1, 2oC...
                      >becomes 32, 33.8, 35.6oF...; and 0, >1, 2%abv... become 0, 2, 4 US proof
                      >...) Keep in mind that we'll lose even more >accuracy if I change the
                      >indices and then linearize the data across the gaps >again. Maybe I could
                      >change the temperature range to cover 32 to 122oF in steps >of 2oF (i.e, 45
                      >steps) if that would help.

                      I typically use celsius for my temperature units thus a table of %abv and
                      deg. C would be entirely sufficient for me. However it might be useful for
                      other US people to have a table in deg. F. If you decide to create such a
                      table I suggest you simply convert the column headings to deg. F since this
                      would be the easier and more accurate method given that your data was
                      originally in terms of deg. C.

                      Thanks again,

                      Nick

                      >geoff
                      >
                      >Nicholas Hamilton wrote:
                      >
                      > > Here is my addition to the list of alcoholometer types. US proof =
                      >2(%abv).
                      > >
                      > > # concentration units temperature units calibration
                      >temperature
                      > > - ------------------ ------------------
                      >-----------------------
                      > > 1 %abv deg. celsius 20 deg. celsius
                      > > 2 %abv, US proof deg. fahrenheit 60 deg. fahrenheit
                      > > 3

                      > > Hopefully there are not too many other types in common use. Thanks in
                      > > advance for the work you have put into this project.
                      > >
                      > > Nick

                    • Nicholas Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
                        Thanks for pointing the chart. I did not notice it the last time I was
                        looking over the site. Its interesting that the alcoholmeter the chart was
                        originally intended for was calibrated at 16 deg. C. It seems likely that it
                        was a rebranded US product.

                        Unfortunatly the chart's %abv doen't extend to the area I am most interested
                        in (90 to 96 %abv) and its temperature and concentration steps are too large
                        for accurate interpolation of the remaining values.

                        Nick