Weights & Measures

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 6:06 AM
      It is important to be specific now that we are part of a global community. For example I found an old 19th century U.S. recipe for Fish House Punch which used a 'wine glass' as a measure. Research showed that the early wine glass was 60ml (approx. 2 oz.) - more appropriate for fortified and not dry table wines. Even modern wine glasses vary enormously. William T Brannt in his 'Distillation and Rectification of Alcohol' (1865) borrowed a lot of recipes from M Lebaud's 'Distillateur et du Liquoriste' (1843) where the Cartier scale is used and the recipes are confusing as for others he uses Gay-Lussac (GL). How? Well 50%abv or Gay-Lussac (GL) is 19.5 degrees Cartier.
      wal